2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky

What? No space after the period in Op?
Op.1? Op.2?

The point is: it's rather silly to split hair at this juncture. As long as the formatting is done consistently throughout the program, and all the important information is there, I don't see any problems.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
EZ, you'll have to decide what you like, and what your audience might like, and what looks good on the page. AZN and I bless you with freedom.

If freedom is not your thing, or you have a tight deadline, go with Keith Snell.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

What? No space after the period in Op?
Op.1? Op.2?

The point is: it's rather silly to split hair at this juncture. As long as the formatting is done consistently throughout the program, and all the important information is there, I don't see any problems.

I agree that consistency is what matters. And I agree that a space is needed after Op ideally. But looks like it was omitted to allow space for 2 columns to fit on the program consistently.

Is it splitting hairs to have an opinion? It's like choosing color for a room. Some people give it a lot of consideration, and others don't think it matters much. IMO using capitals for Major and Minor look like shouting. It may be correct according to APA, but aesthetically is not pleasing to me.

Does it matter much? No, it doesn't matter to most people. And will look fine as long as there is consistency.

BTW, ezpiano did ask "Any other suggestions?". That is what I was answering.

I am thinking how Americans love movies with a preponderance of explosions in them. And naturally the American preference would be to capitalize each word. I just think there are more artsy options to consider.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 11/03/12 09:40 AM.
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
After thinking it over, I admit that sometimes I get a kick out of quibbling with you folks on PW.

This thread has shown me that I need to get a manual or two about editorial style to see what is officially being said about these matters.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 11/03/12 02:28 PM. Reason: change of heart
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Absolutely, be consistent in a document.

A google search for: editorial style musical work will give you a bunch of possibilities.

Learner
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This thread has shown me that I need to get a manual or two about editorial style to see what is officially being said about these matters.

No, that stuff is best left to the "ivory tower" academics. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. No one is going to fire you as a piano teacher for missing the space between "Op." and the number.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
No, no one will fire me if I missing the space between Op. and the number. They will just think that I am being too stubborn and not professional enough to fix the mistakes that I made.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

No, that stuff is best left to the "ivory tower" academics. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll be fine. No one is going to fire you as a piano teacher for missing the space between "Op." and the number.

True. This thread did make me realize though how much I pop off with my opinion...quibbling just to have something to say.

Anyway, I went to the library this afternoon to see what editorial style guidelines I could find. I discovered that the book I wanted is in the reference section at different library. While at the library, though, the book Trolling caught my attention. It was next to fly fishing books. Now I get the origin of the expression "trolling".

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Many of us trolls here on PW, Ann...

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
While at the library, though, the book Trolling caught my attention. It was next to fly fishing books. Now I get the origin of the expression "trolling".

In fishin', ain't the word "trawlin'" ?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh no, now I am nervous about my Christmas recital listings...I am combining with two other teachers, one piano and one cello! With duets! Oh my!

Methinks I am not going to overthink this, and follow the KISS rule-
Keep It Simple, Silly!

I mean, yes I should be the proper example and offer up an edumacated example for the parent folk, but I am just not going to stress over it and pretend I did not see this.

Shhh...nobody tell I was here...

You can't see me! I was never here!!!

Learning as I teach.
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
After doing all the research, the teachers in charge tell me that there is nothing I can do to change the title of the pieces into the format that I wanted to unify them into one single version. This is because our program will be computer generated, whatever the teachers key in would be on the program, nothing I can change. I can only arrange the program in a way that we will not have same piece in one recital but spread them out.
Feel disappointed, but I learn something new and valuable from this experience. Thank you for all your sharing.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
This is because our program will be computer generated, whatever the teachers key in would be on the program, nothing I can change.

Yikes, that sounds horrible. So if the teacher typed:

"sontina c maj. 36 1 vivvace"

That's how it will appear on the program?

My branch has a teacher who can't spell Beethoven.

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
That is right AZN
I think it will only shows the unprofessional of those teachers that do not know how to write the title of the pieces officially in a neat way.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
The printout doesn't HAVE to be computer generated simply because some teachers say so. You can print out one copy of the computer generated program ahead of time. Then update this printout to prepare a professional looking program. And print the updated version.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It would probably bug me enough to retype it in a consistant style.

Learner
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
OTOH, if they do not appreciate your offer to help, I would let it alone. Your editing is a valuable service, but some people will fail to appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission