2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello, ive been reading these forums for a while and picked up some knowledge, I dont feel quite sure to decide for myself so I would like to ask all the knowledgeable people here what Digital Piano to buy.

My budget is max 1k dollars, I live in sweden which after taxes will translate to about 10k swedish kronors.

Ive been looking at a number of models (casio px-150,px-350,ap-450, yamaha p105, roland f-120)

The one im leaning towards is f-120. This is mostly because i want digital piano in a slim cabinet that has a lid to protect the keys from dust etc. It is the only of the models ive mentioned I can try in a store, I think it sounds good and the touch of the keys is decent enough.

The thing is that ive come from a cheap keyboard so I don't really know whats good but comparing to the other DP's in store the roland feels best, except for the models that costs twice as much.

From what I understand you can buy furniture to the other models aswell but i'd prefer something that comes with everything at once. Is there anything in that price-range that can rival or be better then the roland f-120? for example the new casio px-350 (and i will buy furniture and pedals separate)

I understand that different people will like different things but im not so sure about buying something I haven't tried. Unfortunately in the shop they only have the old yamahas / casios (p95, px 135, px 330) etc and the new casio models have had their keys improved.

So basically im wanting a thumbs up from someone to buy the roland f-120 or if i have missed some models, or if the models I mentioned are quite a bit better.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the long post.

At the end of the day, each expert has a different opinion, because they each like different things - so I can just put my thoughts in.

In Yamaha, the P-95 and P-105 are pretty similar in key feel, but with the sound improved. So you can probably guess how the P-105 will turn out based on the P-95.

If you havent already, you might want to also consider the Yamaha YDP-S51, as that's a slim cabinet style in your price range, and a step up from the P-105 in keyboard. It won't feel too different to the other Yamaha keyboards with GH keys, such as the YDP-161, YDP-181, P-155 - if they have one of those to try out. Though if you still prefer the Roland feel to the cheaper Yamaha Clavinovas, then chances are you can cross Yamaha off the list.

Kawai also have a number of slim cabinet models: CL-36 comes to mind in that price bracket, and seems highly regarded.

The F-120 is quite good for its price bracket though. People have certainly bought it and been happy with it, and there's the security of having been able to try it for yourself.

S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
@1john

Thats alot for you input.

I tried the Roland some more and I do like it but I think the key action is abit slow, I tried a yamaha model that was almost twice as much and prefered it more since the key action felt more responsive and fast paced, though I did think the grand piano sound was too bright.

I really wanna know from people who tried the casio px 150/350 or kawai cl-36 how their action compares to the roland, since I can't test them myself. Ive read that the cl-36 is pretty much regarded as one of the best in that area, how about the casios?

Thank alot for reading.

Last edited by Smiss; 11/03/12 10:21 AM.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Smiss
tried the Roland some more and I do like it but I think the key action is abit slow

The Roland F-120 has the same action as the FP-4F, and yes, it is sluggish, I don't like it at all. The action in the FP-7F is much better. I don't know which console model(s) will have the same action as that, but if you liked the Roland except for the action, that might be something to look for.

I tried a yamaha model that was almost twice as much and prefered it more since the key action felt more responsive and fast paced, though I did think the grand piano sound was too bright.

Which Yamaha model did you try?

I really wanna know from people who tried the casio px 150/350 or kawai cl-36 how their action compares to the roland, since I can't test them myself. Ive read that the cl-36 is pretty much regarded as one of the best in that area, how about the casios?

I don't know about the Kawai, but personally, I think the PX150/350 feel much better than the FP-4F (and also much better than the previous generation Casios, PX130/330).

S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I don't remember the name of the yamaha but it's out of my leage anyway. Thats for the imput on the casios I will look into them more!

S
Smiss Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Like always when deciding these things when you think you know what to get something new crops up.

I was all for roland f-120 but then decided with kawai cl-36 because ive heard so much about the action, but reading more and more about casio px 350 made me want to get that one instead.

So what i pretty much decided with at this moment is casio px-350, cs-67 stand and additional pedals for it. The price will be under the roland f-120 and just abit above the kawai-cl36. I think it will be the best "bang for the buck" and i will have to buy or make my own dust cover.

If anyone has any comments on this don't be shy!

thanks everyone

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
You already changed your mind once about one model, after playing it. You've got to play yourself the 350 before pulling the trigger. Or make sure the store you buy it from accepts 'change of mind' returns withing a few days.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission