Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1982274 - 11/03/12 04:01 PM Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors?
Dalek Offline

I was almost decided to get the PX-350, and then I saw the thread about The Giant (piano synth by Native Instruments). I knew these things existed and sounded very good, but I thought they were really expensive. I must have gotten this impression from the Vienna Imperial library. To my surprise, it turns out there are good synths starting at 99$.

Since I'm not gonna be moving my piano around and it's gonna be next to my computer anyway, 820 euros for the PX-350 is starting to sound like a bit of a waste when I consider the fact that with the computer route you can tweak the sounds and try different kinds of pianos.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one of the extremely cheap DPs like the Thomann DP-25 at 250 EUR. The audio of these models is horrible, but in my new scenario I no longer care about this. Does anybody know if the action is any good? If not, how about the 450 EUR models like the Korg 170 or the Yamaha P-35?

Also, what are the cheapest speakers that I can get that will sound as good as the ones on a PX-350?

Edited by Dalek (11/03/12 04:02 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1982282 - 11/03/12 04:24 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: Dalek]
Kos Offline

Originally Posted By: Dalek

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying one of the extremely cheap DPs like the Thomann DP-25 at 250 EUR. The audio of these models is horrible, but in my new scenario I no longer care about this.

Hate to break it to you, but the actions on these things are even worse than their sounds.

Originally Posted By: Dalek
If not, how about the 450 EUR models like the Korg 170 or the Yamaha P-35?

Since you're planning on using a VST, you'd be better off with a midi keyboard. Fatar's SL990PRo or VMK-188 should be in that price range.
Or you can bump your budget up to 700 euros, and get a Korg SP-250, whitch IMHO has the best action in a "under a 1000 eur" category.

#1982290 - 11/03/12 05:16 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: Kos]
Dalek Offline

Quote:
Since you're planning on using a VST, you'd be better off with a midi keyboard. Fatar's SL990PRo or VMK-188...

Wow. These look perfect. I didn't even know that there were MIDI controllers with hammer action. The first one is 330 on Thomman.de. Thanks so much!

Can anybody say how does the action of any of those compare with a DP like a Casio PX-350?

EDIT: Was mistaken about the price, both are cheap.

Edited by Dalek (11/03/12 05:26 PM)

#1982301 - 11/03/12 05:55 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: Dalek]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Why ask for opinions? Just try them for yourself ... or else be prepared for disappointment.

If you don't try, don't buy.

#1982305 - 11/03/12 06:01 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: MacMacMac]
Dalek Offline

Helpful comment. By that logic 80% of the threads on this forum wouldn't exist.

There's no music shops with large stocks where I live. All they order for display are some Yamaha DPs and some casio keyboards for kids.

#1982331 - 11/03/12 06:59 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: Dalek]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
A drawback of those controllers, compared say to something like the PX350, is their weight. That may not matter for your purpose though?

#1982332 - 11/03/12 07:05 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: Dalek]
1John Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
The Yamaha P-35 might be worth a look. It's quite cheap in some countries, and I preferred its key feel to the earlier Casios, but haven't tried the new ones.

#1982342 - 11/03/12 07:13 PM Re: Cheap DPs with good action to use with VSTis + monitors? [Re: 1John]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: 1John
The Yamaha P-35 might be worth a look. It's quite cheap in some countries, and I preferred its key feel to the earlier Casios, but haven't tried the new ones.

Yes agree, I tried a P35 in the context for a controller. Cheap, light, OK-ish but I'm waiting for NAMM. (Always seem to be waiting).

Edited by spanishbuddha (11/03/12 07:30 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
142 registered (ajames, Almaviva, anotherscott, AndresD, 41 invisible), 1838 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156059 Topics
2291586 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission