Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1978229 - 10/24/12 09:14 PM Buying a Yamaha NU1
Music Me Offline

Loc: New York
Hi Everybody!
I'm new here and I have been reading quite a few posts and I am learning much. A little about me: I am classically trained with a B.A. in Music (piano/theory, earned 33 years ago! yikes!). I also love Jazz and it is my new obsession. I am about to buy a Yamaha Nu!. It is replacing a Roland FP-5, which I purchased back in 2003. I owned a Baldwin console, which is what I learned the piano on as a teen. I unfortunately had to sell my piano as a result of my divorce in 2000. It served me well but it is time to move forward. I struggled with the option of purchasing a grey market Yamaha U3 Silent, but never came across any that had the silent system installed in the production of the piano. They were all retro-fitted. I did a little research on these pianos and saw more negative than positive. If any of you out there can offer your opinion, I would appreciate it.
Anyhow, I played a Yamaha NU1 and loved it. The action felt like that of an upright. Boy, I have my work cut out for me after playing the FP-5 all this time! Living in New York, having a piano that can be played silently and with a volume control is a major plus. I also feel that purchasing a new Hybrid Piano will save me in maintenance and discovering major problems on something used requiring major repair. When I retire, I will have my acoustic piano once and for all!
I'm really excited and almost feel like I did back when I got my first piano. It was a Baldwin.
Thanks for reading and hope to share with all of you.
...without music, no life...

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1978241 - 10/24/12 09:52 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
mitzysman Offline

exciting !! That seems like a really nice piano and Yamaha build's really good stuff

#1978335 - 10/25/12 04:14 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Check out this thread where the NU1 has been discussed, with some user photos.

#1978340 - 10/25/12 04:36 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Also consider Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - slightly different piano voice and a real grand action. I think you are in the right ballpark with Yamaha, especially as your passion is jazz. Either would work well I'm sure. But not wanting to labour the point I would check out the N1 BEFORE choosing!

Good luck,

Steve

#1978503 - 10/25/12 02:06 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
NoticeofAppeal Offline

I wish you good luck, but this is a great choice. I just purchased an N3 a few months back and absolutely love it. A nice grand would have been great, but the ability to practice silent on a quality instrument is incredible. I'm still very happy with the purchase.

Brian

#1978532 - 10/25/12 03:03 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
ap55 Offline

Loc: Germany, Bremen
seems that you like the upright action and I know its great on the nu1. All that AG actions are nice as well but different. Certainly an excellent choice if you go with the nu1. let us know !

#1978549 - 10/25/12 03:47 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: EssBrace]
Music Me Offline

Thanks, Steve. I have played an N2 and N3 but not an N1. My piano dealer advisedly that they no longer carry it. Believe me that if I could afford one of the others they would be in the running.
Thank to all for your good wishes and responses. I will post again when I get my piano

#1978567 - 10/25/12 04:09 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: EssBrace]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Also consider Yamaha AvantGrand N1 - slightly different piano voice and a real grand action. I think you are in the right ballpark with Yamaha, especially as your passion is jazz. Either would work well I'm sure. But not wanting to labour the point I would check out the N1 BEFORE choosing!

Good luck,

Steve

You beat me to it. I would also recommend you try the N1 (or N2, N3) before sealing the deal on the NU1.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1978640 - 10/25/12 07:34 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Dave Horne]
mitzysman Offline

i wonder how repetition is on the nu1 as opposed to a grand piano action on an n1. That would be my concern if I got one. Had an Kawai upright and the slow repetition and occasional double-striking was hard to get used to.

#1978789 - 10/26/12 07:04 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Music Me Offline

I will be going to my piano dealer tomorrow. I hope to, again, play an Avantgard N1. It will all come down to price. Regardless, I will be purchasing my piano tomorrow. I'm ecstatic!

THanks, again to all of you for your opinions, advice, and responses.

#1978792 - 10/26/12 07:10 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Barbara, be sure to bring a set of professional headphones with you. I own a N3 but use headphones 95 percent of the time (for various reasons), but primarily because headphones sound better.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#1978803 - 10/26/12 07:57 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Gigantoad Offline

There was someone here a while ago who felt like the NU1 provided a better overall experience than the N1. Better sound and more pleasant action (not quite as heavy) as far as I remember. Certainly worth testing both.

#1978841 - 10/26/12 10:39 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I spoke to a retailer of both N1 and NU1 the other day and his preference was strongly towards N1 over NU1. There was no agenda there by the way - I know he was giving me his honest opinion.

#1978858 - 10/26/12 11:12 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Gigantoad Offline

#1978928 - 10/26/12 02:18 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I'd probably buy a stage DP with fake action before I spent money for real upright action. At least the fake action uses gravity like real grands while upright uses springs to move hammer back in place

#1978958 - 10/26/12 03:47 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
An upright piano does NOT use springs to move hammers back in place.

#1979013 - 10/26/12 05:14 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: MacMacMac]
36251 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
An upright piano does NOT use springs to move hammers back in place.
From this website: http://www.pianocareny.com/?FAQ

The action of the two types of pianos rely on the same principle. The action is the part of the piano that moves when you play. A key is pressed and a felt hammer hits a string and then returns. First to explain what I mean by returning. For the hammer to strike the string, a little L shaped piece called a "jack" pushes up under the hammer. The jack forces the hammer into the string and drops back, allowing the hammer to return. The returning enables the hammer to be ready to hit the string again, and is very different on the two types of pianos. On an upright a spring, gravity, and momentum, assist in returning the hammer. A spring pushes the jack back under the hammer, and a spring helps to push the hammer back to where the jack sits. On a grand, a more complex mechanism acts on the returning of the hammer. The hammer is pushed up by the jack, and once the jack gets out of the way to let the hammer return, a lever moves up and holds the hammer closer to the string, enabling the jack return fully under the hammer ready to strike again. This time, though, the hammer is much closer to the string. Because of this, you can repeat the note very quickly and softly, much more so than on an upright. The dampers are also very different, and the grand dampers tend to be superior. On an upright, the dampers return to the string by a spring, whereas on a grand they return to the string by gravity. This difference, along with the difficulty in accessing the damper mechanism on an upright to make minute adjustments, make the grand damper much easier for the piano technician to "regulate" or make regular. Making each key on a piano behave the exact same way, with the same movement being required to push down each key from one to the next, is very important in being able to play the piano as well as it can be played. This is because if one key requires a different action (say C needs more force to hit the string than D) then it is much harder to control the volume of the keys you are playing.

#1979084 - 10/26/12 08:20 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Both upright and grand actions have a spring to return the jack to its rest position.
On an upright it's a small coil under the heel of the jack.
On a grand it's a bent-wire spring.

But neither uprights nor grands have a spring to move the hammer.
Your information is incorrect.

#1979115 - 10/26/12 09:29 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: EssBrace]
Melodialworks Music Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
I spoke to a retailer of both N1 and NU1 the other day and his preference was strongly towards N1 over NU1. There was no agenda there by the way - I know he was giving me his honest opinion.

What reasons were given?
Yamaha NU1 + Production Grand

#1979116 - 10/26/12 09:31 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Indeed, I am curious also.

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1979164 - 10/27/12 02:57 AM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Kawai James]
ap55 Offline

I am curious too.
N1 should behave almost as the N2,N3, it is similar technology for sound and action, missing some features for N1. So may be you - Barbara - likes more the sound and the action feeling on the NU1, or it is also a question on design and size. For the technical point of view I agree with above that AG actions should be superior. I played both that on Nu1 and AGs. It is different and I couldn't decide for one - quite different instruments, both excellent and finally it would come to the price for me. In this case I would also compare to the competitors, IMO Kawai ca95. Let us know for what you decide.
ap55

Edited by ap55 (10/27/12 02:58 AM)

#1979291 - 10/27/12 01:24 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Nothing specific actually. I was in the store for something else and the retailer started to talk about top end Yamaha digitals and he was going on to say how much he liked one of them and I jumped in and finished his sentence for him (assuming he was going on the praise the NU1). He said, no it's the N1 he particularly rated (the store has both). I didn't get into a conversation about it but there was a clear implication (or at least it was my interpretation of his comment and demeanour) that he thought the N1 was very superior. He can assess them side-by-side and is presumably getting feedback from his customers. I could have misunderstood, or he could have mixed the model numbers up, but I rather doubt it.

#1979359 - 10/27/12 05:27 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: ap55]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
I would also compare to the competitors, IMO Kawai ca95

I agree, I did compare them and I preferred the CA95 (against the advice of the dealer). I don't want to train for performing on an acoustic, just play with my (digital) instrument at home. (I think the majoritiy of us users falls in this category.)

So for the broad mass of users manufacturers can now develop even better playable instruments with improved characteristics compared to their acoustic originals and do not have the burden to mimic or even to combine a whole acoustic hammer mechanism. This is namely very complex, costly, heavy...it was the result of innovations of generations ringing with all of the limitations of the physics to overcome and the result was a huge achievement by the early 1900s - since then there was not much improvement possible. But it is very conceivable that with digital technology it IS possible to develop even better, more responsive, more comfortable, smoother actions, hands not being bound by issues due to just the materials.

But for people who want to stay with acoustics it is good to have such Hybrids as Yamaha's AG NU1 or the NXs.

For my older finger joints (and not just for that reason only) KAWAIs GF seemed momentarily the best action to choose. I used to have an acoustic vintage(Förster) with 15 years I had to abandon piano lessons, because I had always recurring tendonitis. Now after being 50 I could begin playing again with an appropriate digital instrument because of its light action.

Acoustic Grand Action is perfect - as a technical achievement, a triumph of human brain over material and physics but I don't believe it is necessarily perfect for all peoples hands and fingers - and for the music - for all time.

And one more thing to consider: most of classical music in todays broadest repertoire was composed on very imperfect instruments - just before 1900).
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs

#1981127 - 10/31/12 09:07 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
Music Me Offline

My NU1 is scheduled for Saturday morning delivery. I am very excited.

#1982212 - 11/03/12 01:37 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
ap55 Offline

I am sure we all want to have some short report after the first day you exercised on your new NU1 - if you can find the time ?

ap55

Edited by ap55 (11/03/12 01:37 PM)

#1982291 - 11/03/12 05:18 PM Re: Buying a Yamaha NU1 [Re: Music Me]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
36251's reference appears to be correct. Extract from "Piano Servicing & Rebuilding", by Arthur A. Reblitz:

"When you release the key, the wippen drops, and the backcheck releases the catcher. The butt spring pushes on the hammer butt until the hammer shank returns to it's resting place on the hammer rail cloth".

Also refer here: http://www.user00.com/my2iu/workshop/piano/piano.html

Greg.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
104 registered (accordeur, Alex1, AndresD, 32 invisible), 1523 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156076 Topics
2291950 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
What brand of solid string to use?
by Grandpianoman
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Yesterday at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Yesterday at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Yesterday at 08:03 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission