Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 199 of 241 < 1 2 ... 197 198 199 200 201 ... 240 241 >
Topic Options
#1978917 - 10/26/12 01:52 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hey everybody! Guess I'm not the only one short of time smile

Hey, when exactly are the Satie pieces due? I've been running through Gnoissenne 2 occasionally, but soon I will sit down for a couple of blocks of time and get it done. Question for those of you in the know: does your audio come straight from video, or do you use like a Zoom thing to record the sound and put it with the video? BillyO is trying to figure out the best way to do this stuff for his own personal ventures, but I will be the guinea pig. Me - I don't care so much, because if the recording is so-so, I can blame the recording. grin

I told my teacher about it, and the Mendelssohn, and she is excited as well. She would like me to perform in the recitals for the experience of prepping a piece, but the recitals have a zillion kids. This way I'm getting pieces performance ready. She like my choice of 30 3. Have any of you started messing around with them yet? I'm especially excited about Dipsy's - I love that one, but it's out of my league still.

I hope to catch bits and pieces of the postings made this week this weekend. For now, I will leave you with Ritcher's recording of Songs without words, op 19 1,2,3,5, and 6. It's my favorite recording of 6 - it's not too fast smile I may have posted it once, so forgive me.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1979057 - 10/26/12 06:58 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hi Aimee! I won't be ready with my Satie piece until Nov. 15 at the earliest...possibly a bit longer. I'm just now getting some quality practice time with it. My partner is going to record my performance. We are all supposed to send Wayne a PM to get the technical details sorted out. I haven't done that yet either. I will probably post a check in on the Satie thread later this weekend after I've had a chance to get more practice on my piece.

BTW, I loved your post today. I really enjoy many of Richter's recordings of Handel's Keyboard Suites as well. Thanks! smile

#1979196 - 10/27/12 06:49 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Aimee, you will get a better result if you record the audio seperate with a mic, and then put it together with the video (say with windows movie maker). I attempted this last time, but had a few probs syncing them right, so ended up just uploading the video that I recorded on the other half's iPhone. If BillyO's up for it, I'd give it a try smile

...and yeah, sometime mid November is where we're hoping for the recital wink but I guess it will be ready, when we are all ready.

#1979564 - 10/28/12 06:06 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
Greetings everyone! I was busy the past few days enjoying the greatest festival of West Bengal smile It's called Durga Puja, worship of Goddess Durga. It's actually a religious festival, but on every Bengali people it has so much impact that those even in abroad try hard to return home during this time to join this festival. Now-a-days it's held abroad also, like USA, Germany etc., by the Bengali people residing there smile

I got very little time in between to enjoy all the beautiful posts last week. However, those few I could manage listening to are, as always, splendid! Thanks Richard for all of your beautiful classical postings last week (I know it's very weird to say this today as within a few hours new posts are gonna come grin). Thanks Griffin for spending so much of your busy time to share all those amazing musics of great variety! Also thanks to Recaredo, Becca, Wayne and AimeeO for all of your gorgeous contributions. I'm hoping to finish 'em all this week.

Griffin, I'm so glad that you finally got some time to practice smile
Originally Posted By: BeccaBb
I would be crying if I couldn't have started practicing till now! lol

+1. I would simply go silent if I had this much pressure before practice time and consequently a lot more pressure after getting so little practice time, lol laugh
Never bother about the deadline, Griffin. Just concentrate on your practice, I skipped my ICM postings this week to save some bit of practice time for you laugh

#1979583 - 10/28/12 08:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Goooooooooooooood morning, good morning, good morning!

Are we all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed today after our extra hour's sojourn in the land of never? I hope so.

Here's an awakening for you. The Radetzky March by Strauss, Snr, is usually the last piece played at the New Year celebrations in Vienna but without everybody joining in with the stomping and the clapping it's just a great starter for ten!

#1979594 - 10/28/12 09:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Well, how are we after that little shot in the arm?

I really enjoyed the Corky Siegel postings earlier this week, Griffin, thanks for those.

We are all beholden to Haydn for the development of the String Quartet and for the competitiveness betwixt himself and Mozart that allowed the later works to shine.

Just as many songwriters find the guitar and a voice can be used as an acid test for a good song so composers consider the string quartet a similar test for their compositional skills.

This is Haydn's first string quartet, La Chasse, and a gorgeous one it is too. If I didn't play the piano I'd want to play the string quartet!

The first movement is typically an up-tempo movement. A minuet and trio comes between the first and slow third movements and usually between the third and up-tempo fifth.

The third movement here, I believe, I've posted before on RST. It's about the most played track in either my SQ or my Haydn collection and probably compares favourably with the best of Bach. I've played it several times from the SQ score, adapted on the fly rather than worked out (the viola part's tricky to read) but the piano just doesn't cut it!

#1979601 - 10/28/12 09:47 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

There was a time when I considered the three best sounds in the universe were the electric guitar, the violin and the scottish bagpipes.

Fortunately I matured a bit (aged a lot but matured only a bit) and, you may have noticed, I'm a sucker for the voice now. This is a classic vocal offering, Delibes' Flower Duet from Lakmé.

#1979609 - 10/28/12 10:18 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
There was a time when I considered the three best sounds in the universe were the electric guitar, the violin and the scottish bagpipes.

Fortunately I matured a bit...

Phewww...... wink

#1979611 - 10/28/12 10:26 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Aren't you glad, Wayne, that I'm not posting 'em!! laugh

I try to find a half hour every Sunday and at least ten minutes every day when I can still my mind not for reflection but for simple tranquility. I tried both prayer and meditation but thinking of 'nothing' is as hard as fathoming out the theory of relatvity. Listening to soothing music, on the other hand, has the same effect on the spirit without nearly so much effort or need for practise.

This piece by Delius, Late Swallows, is the sort of music I can listen to without intellectual involvement. I can just let it float over me and let the ripples of thought just fade away.

#1979620 - 10/28/12 10:55 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My final selection for this weekend is the overture to one of my favourite operas, Weber's Der Freischutz, the first of the German Romantic Operas.

Like a good stretch relaxes the muscles, there's nothing like a bit of drama to tense the emotions and bring peace from the inevitable release that follows.

I exhort you again to have a good week until next week, work with wisdom, play with passion and rest with relish.

God speed.

#1979667 - 10/28/12 01:20 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Great postings, Richard, and fabulous comments!

I loved all of them (What great singers Anna Netrebko and Elina Garanca are!).

And thanks for posting the string quartet by Haydn complete. I agree with you, playing in a string quartet has to be a unique experience.

My website

#1979885 - 10/28/12 11:13 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Thanks Richard for the Sunday classical music. I will have to finish listening late tonight. I put most of my music time today working on my Satie piece. listening to your post will be a delightful way to end my day.

Also, I'm glad you enjoyed my Corky Seigel postings earlier this week. Thanks!

#1979951 - 10/29/12 04:30 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rupak Bhattacharya Offline

Loc: West Bengal, India
I thoroughly enjoyed your beautiful Sunday Classical postings, Richard. Thanks a lot! Your words are also as glorious and sparkling as your music smile

#1980165 - 10/29/12 04:22 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Thanks Wayne, Recaredo, Griffin and Rupak for your feedback and appreciation.

I'm expecting a litle more activity between Sunday postings now that the recital submissions have begun to trickle in.

In the meantime here's a non-classical pick.

#1980435 - 10/30/12 08:16 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone!

Today I wanted to post the piano quintet by Shostakovich. This work has beautiful melodies and calm passages, but we can also find tragic moments that might touch any sensitive soul, together with cheerful episodes. This composition is really a world of sensations.

The quintet has five movements, but I’ve posted it complete, because I think that only listening to all the movements, we can get the greatness of this work.

I hope you like it.

My website

#1980445 - 10/30/12 08:54 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
Thanks for the lovely music everyone! smile

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1980515 - 10/30/12 12:45 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Has anyone heard from Rossy or Dipsey lately? They sure been real quiet!!!!!

#1980656 - 10/30/12 06:32 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

#1980843 - 10/31/12 08:10 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! I haven't had much time for posting while I'm practicing for the Satie recital. I thought I'd share a little Doo Wop music from the 1950s. Here is Otis Williams and the Charms with "That's Your Mistake."

Enjoy the rest of your day!

#1980948 - 10/31/12 01:51 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Happy Halloween folks smile

#1981934 - 11/02/12 07:05 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Evening!

Now the most known side of Shostakovich: the waltz from his jazz suite No. 2. This music was used in the last Kubrick film “Eyes Wide Shut”, so surely many of you will recognize it.

Shostakovich was able to compose works with the deepest thoughts, like his piano quintet, but he also could write just lovely music like this little waltz.

My website

#1982113 - 11/03/12 09:57 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
Dipsy Offline

Thanks Recaredo - I like Shostakovich too. I think his second piano concerto 2nd mvt is exquisite too.

#1982257 - 11/03/12 03:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone! I'm just dropping in briefly. Thanks Recaredo for the lovely music. I've been listening to some music by Sergei Rachmaninoff lately. Here piano virtuoso Arthur Rubinstein performs Rachmaninoff's 18th Variation.

Enjoy! Back to work for me on my Satie piece! wink

#1982504 - 11/04/12 07:25 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

It's nice to see some more posts in the thread but everyone is obviously still spending more time Satiating their need for practise.

Well, I know how you all feel now. I've just submitted my entry for the ABF recital and what a revelation it has been! Since I agreed to participate in the Mendelssohn recital I thought I ought to have a trial run at this recording business. My experience under the red light was a while ago and under a different sense of pressure as I was multi-tracking on an 8-track setup rather than a solo effort where every off note and nuance screams out in anger.

Working where every take is a 'final effort' has left me exhausted. There were technical problems to contend with also but there's a lasting benefit. I haven't actually listened to my playing for some time - I thought I listened all the time but it seems I don't. I can hear flaws in the recording that I have passed off as 'just that time' but now I have to contend with hearing it every time I listen knowing it's there each time.

I've also overcome the logistical problems (barring some new cabling in the mail) so future recordings will not be so awkward.

I still have some work to finish up after the efforts of the last few days but I expect to start on the Mendelssohn on the 12th, a week later than planned, but with higher expectations of overcoming the logistical problems of recording.

My choices this week are rushed so I don't know how well they'll work together.

I couldn't decide between the Light Cavalry or the Poet and Peasant overtures from Suppé but I've settled for P&P.

#1982510 - 11/04/12 07:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Here's a sweet little piece from Debussy to give you a sense of solace on Sunday. I know what's coming so trust me, you'll appreciate this.

#1982529 - 11/04/12 09:00 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

John Rutter wrote much of the material (texts) that I read when studying harmony and tonal composition so I feel an extra emotional attachment to his music, too.

This pieces moves me, I hope it's a similar experience for you.

#1982532 - 11/04/12 09:09 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Gounod's Faust ballet music picks up the pace and the pitch somewhat after the peacefulness of the preceding picks.

Sorry to be slow, my attention is in Abu Dhabi currently.

#1982546 - 11/04/12 09:45 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: zrtf90

Well, I know how you all feel now. I've just submitted my entry for the ABF recital and what a revelation it has been!

I'll keep a look out for that smile

#1982553 - 11/04/12 10:18 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Wayne, I think you'll be disappointed. I took advantage of the rules and whilst I played the harmony on the piano I played the melody on the bagpipes!!

A sensational win for Kimi in Abu Dhabi, and a spectacular race.

Well, here we are, at the final part of the selections for the week.

Saint-Saëns is one of those pianists who could sight read pretty much anything but, despite being gifted at the keyboard, wrote very little for it. He wrote some etudes including a set for the left hand. Not spectacularly difficult but as they're for the manus sinistra I'm reminded of his sinister opus.

Don't have nightmares but do have a good week until next week.

#1982565 - 11/04/12 10:59 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You pulling my plonker lol?

Page 199 of 241 < 1 2 ... 197 198 199 200 201 ... 240 241 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What's up with Paulello?
by jim ialeggio
10 minutes 36 seconds ago
Kawai RX-2 and RX-2 BLAK
by myip
Today at 08:15 PM
UVi Grand Piano, cant get the MIDI Files help?
by JungleJim
Today at 06:23 PM
Sheet Music for "The Villain"
by johnbarnesiii
Today at 06:06 PM
measuring humidity for piano?
by pianomise
Today at 05:39 PM
Who's Online
121 registered (A Guy, a-z0-9, accordeur, AEMontoya, 43 invisible), 1336 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157698 Topics
2316359 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission