Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1981710 - 11/02/12 11:15 AM Practise Times
jnjude Offline

Loc: UK
Hi All

I would think this would be a common question so if its been asked before please point me in the right direction.

I am a begginer of around 9 months and my question is about the amount of time spent practising. Presently I spend half an hour each day practising. If I were to spend one hour a day would that be twice as good, and if I were to spend two hours a day would that be four times as good? Of my half hour a day, is it better for this to be 2 quarter hour sessions, or three, ten minute sessions. Basically I am looking for the most efficient, and I well realise that it will vary from person to person. But for all that I would be surprised if somebody had not done some research in this area on a general basis.

A second question, is there any finger exercises that can be done away from the piano to enhance the independance of the fingers of each hand. Not sure if question this is very understandable. My problem is if I play one handed, either hand, then I have little problems and can play at a reasonable speed. Once its a two handed piece of music then while I can still play it, the speed I play drops by at least one order of magnetude :-) Now I expect this will come with time, but I was wondering if there were ways of enhancing it.

Thanks for any replies.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1981716 - 11/02/12 11:36 AM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
You are correct; there is much discussion about practice on the forum.

The biggest issue is how you spend your practice time.

#1981720 - 11/02/12 11:39 AM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Hi jnjude, and welcome.
Practising time and progress aren't a result of a mathematical equation... Each person has a development curve and your progress depends on hability, dedication and pleasure.
I'm sure you will find a way to achieve your goals. As far as my experience tells, I know it's important to play every single day, even if only for 10 minutes.

For the second question, I have a plan for you:
1st: practice
2nd: practice
3rd: practice
Repeat as many times as you can, until you die of exhaustion.

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1981737 - 11/02/12 12:05 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
monads Offline

Loc: CA
Agree with the comments above. You might also want to read "The Muscian's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance..." by Klickstein. I found the practice section of the book insightful (i.e. dividing practice sessions, troubleshooting spots in a score, etc.)

#1981747 - 11/02/12 12:25 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
Farmerjones Offline

Loc: USA
It was a big/long thread, but it was still a good read.
How much do you practice?
BTW I'm still a bad example. smile

#1981754 - 11/02/12 12:39 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
The most important thing is how and "what" you practice. Since I finally have a teacher when my only background before was self teaching as a teen, I'm now concentrating on things I would normally have had as a rank beginner with a good teacher. My weaknesses are in how I sit and balance myself, what I do physically when playing chords or individual notes. So for my own personal "what" I may focus on something I've learned to do for playing chords, and then focus on it while playing a small section of a piece - then another section - then another. Over time this creates new habits that are there sort of automatically. They make playing any piece easier, so that ultimately things are learned faster. I have other "whats", like recognizing chords, how to learn a new piece in stages etc.

If you are focusing on a "what", this takes a lot of concentration, and we can't hold that concentration long. When we are learning new, unfamiliar things as opposed to expanding on an existing skill, the brain tires faster too. So in this sense "longer" is not "better". But if you find you can maintain concentration for 15 - 20 minutes, then several 20-min. sessions rather than one long 2 hour session are better. Also changing your focus can expand your concentration. You can even change your focus while doing the same thing, by working on a different aspect of it - say the right notes, the right rhythm, some awkward section and the reason it's awkward.

I only skimmed the other thread so I hope this isn't a duplication.

Edited by keystring (11/02/12 12:41 PM)

#1981947 - 11/02/12 07:31 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I learnt the hard way and wasted a lot of time.

I used to think all time spent at the piano was practice. It wasn't I used to play for 2-4 hours, Thats PLAY not practice. I like to play though so I don't mine. I deliberately practice for about 30 minutes a day and play for half an hour or so. I lack the energy for more.

Practice needs to be targetted, so essentially:

I want to... (something narrow never anything hugely wide and vague like I want to be a fantastic pianist)

I need to... (to go about it).

For a rookie like me if I get stuck on a bit of a piece, Instead of playing all the way up to the bit I get stuck. I will go directly to the bar and practice that bar a few times. Then the bar before it so smooth it out. Then +1 another bar until it smoothes it all out.

#1982061 - 11/03/12 05:21 AM Re: Practise Times [Re: justpin]
Toastie Offline

Loc: UK
I found that keeping a practice diary has really helped. I now note down the times I spend every day and then I can see what I'm doing each week and it's helped me to see what helps me progress. For instance on weeks when I break it down into smaller chunks throughout the day I make better progress than weeks where I do it as one long session each day. Try keeping a record and looking for patterns in what works for you.

My ideal is half an hour in the morning, half an hour at lunchtime and then at least half an hour in the evening, but it's not always possible. At weekends I do twenty minute sessions all day whenever I'm not doing something else. Or when I'm in the initial stages of learning the notes I like to spend 10 minutes, have a break, then repeat until it's doing my head in. Next day it always seems much better then! I usually do that on a Saturday, as I have my lesson on a Friday so I spend the weekend getting to grips with the new things in small sessions.

Edited by Toastie (11/03/12 05:23 AM)
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

#1982185 - 11/03/12 12:35 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I used to do several 15-20 minute sessions during the day, but lately my attention span is longer and I'm doing 45 minute sessions a couple of times per day. I think it's a matter of balancing how long it takes you to get warmed up and in the groove vs. how long it before you get accident-prone, fretful and/or frustrated.

One thing that has been helping me is to sit down at the computer with a cup of coffee before I start the day's practices, and type out a list of exactly what that day's goals are going to be, being as specific as possible about what I want to achieve. I started noticing how much it sapped my keyboard energy to dither around figuring out precisely what to practice next, so having a very specific list to check off keeps energized and on track. OTOH I'm also inspired by freedom and change, so re-creating my list daily gives me a chance to leverage whatever it is that I'm inspired about on any given day.

neglected piano blog

#1982205 - 11/03/12 01:18 PM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I've found that a practice log is helpful, too. And last summer I started a monthly plan for what I want to get done. I list new works, works in progress, and works that should go to repertoire within the month, and then a list for each week of the month of repertoire I want to review. It's been more "hopeful" than "actual" sometimes, mainly because I can see there's at least 3 hours a day worth of practicing to be solid, but at least it spurs me on and I have some sense that I'm getting somewhere when a piece goes into repertoire.

I never spend more than 30 minutes on one piece at a time. I may spend as much as an hour total at a time, but I'll spend it on 2 or 3 pieces, and pick and choose from the things on my monthly plan. So I'm never bored, and there's always something to work on.

The biggest piece of information I've gotten so far is how few times I actually play any one piece as I'm learning it. No wonder it takes 3 months! But with what I have in my plan, and not actually getting in 3 hours a day - more like half that - it shouldn't have been surprising. So I think when I get a break from having so much work, maybe the four day weekend over Thanksgiving, I'll look at revising the monthly plan to see if I could be more efficient. Or at least more realistic laugh Or it might be that there's a different way to approach the number of pieces - I'm leaning towards putting in one sort of full-blown arrangement each month and 2 or 3 really simple ones that I can frilly up a little on the fly when I play.

I've always kept a log of some sort, but when I first started the goal was always just - get thru the next gig laugh - whatever the tunes were for the next dance, I needed to know the oom-pah part. But since that was weekly I did learn to be comfortable with chords in fairly short order, and it's served me really well. It's only since I started playing solo gigs that I've gotten more organized about tracking the practices. But it works for me.

Cathy

#1982507 - 11/04/12 07:40 AM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
A practice schedule is useful too, and with room for comments can double as the log. I outline what I want to practice, how much time I want to devote to what pieces, etc. making it very specific. I outline a couple of weeks at a time. If I don't do this I have a tendancy to concentrate on the current (new) piece that obsesses me at the moment to the detriment of everything else which is why my "repetoire" is constantly in tatters. (Before I started with a schedule, the repetoire was non existent. I was totally love 'em and leave 'em about pieces I should have been maintaining.)

#1982531 - 11/04/12 09:05 AM Re: Practise Times [Re: jnjude]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
I flag troublesome bits with little post it flags so I don't need to play up to them. I love it when I get those measures ironed out and get to move the flag.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (*windowlicker*, 89grand, 36251, 53 invisible), 1225 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75963 Members
42 Forums
157098 Topics
2307162 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The Mooozart Effect
by Rich Galassini
Today at 06:13 PM
What would you do in this situation?
by CountSmith
Today at 05:55 PM
An aural and visual demonstration of the Skeleton.
by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Today at 05:09 PM
tunelab update
by michaelopolis
Today at 04:40 PM
Who makes ribbon moulding?
by Craig Hair
Today at 03:25 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission