Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1982196 - 11/03/12 12:58 PM Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!)
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
Who's already started learning holiday music? Or else, have you chosen what you're going to work on once you get your recital piece turned in? Or do you wait for the last minute?

Past years, I've waited around for the holiday inspiration to strike, which means that around December 21st I start butchering some ultra-simple carols, so they end up sounding half-decent a day or two after New Year's ( frown :holiday fail: frown ).

So this year I'm staring earlier; I figure the retailers start bringing it on right after Halloween, so maybe I should too. Thus I'm already getting going with my holiday crafts, and Christmas carols too.

So what are your holiday musical plans?

neglected piano blog

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1982199 - 11/03/12 01:04 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Haven't got any as yet but I can play Jingle Bells from Alfred's LOL!

I might make some piano/music themed crimbo cards...

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1982202 - 11/03/12 01:10 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Me me me! I started about 2 weeks ago.

I pulled out my "Joy of Christmas" and have been going through my favourites. I'm really pleased at how much better I can read through them compared to last year.

I don't think I'm quite ready for any sing-a-longs yet, but I am pleased with the improvement.

#1982232 - 11/03/12 02:22 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
tangleweeds Offline

In case people haven't ventured into the Piano Teachers' forum, there's a good thread over there of recommendations of holiday music for piano students.

I took a couple of recommendations from over there, and got
Christmas for All Time, Level 2 (<=sheetmusicplus link, has song list & sample pages)
(Amazon link). This book goes with the Adult Piano Adventures series.
As well as Dennis Alexander's
Christmas Piano Book, Level 2(<=sheetmusicplus link, has song list & sample pages)
(Amazon link). This book goes with Alfred's Adult All-in-One.

Aside from the teachers' recommendations, I picked these because I've enjoyed other stuff by Dennis Alexander, and the Faber's book comes with an "enhanced" CD which has accompaniments as well as MP3 demos of the pieces played as they should be... plus it has MIDI files suitable for use with Home Concert Extreme, which did indeed appear as an early birthday present. smile

neglected piano blog

#1982263 - 11/03/12 03:38 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Barbareola Offline

Loc: Germany
tangleweeds@ How are you going to use Home Concert Extreme? Could you let us know wether it fulfills your hopes or not?

I'm asking because I have looked at their website and the geek in me is all excited, but then, what does she know. wink

#1982284 - 11/03/12 04:27 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: Barbareola]
tangleweeds Offline

Originally Posted By: Barbareola
tangleweeds@ How are you going to use Home Concert Extreme? Could you let us know wether it fulfills your hopes or not?

I'm going to go reply to this in the Home Concert Xtreme thread I started last month, just to keep both threads more on-topic for the benefit of future forum searches. So stay tuned (over there)... I'll post as soon as I'm done typing!

neglected piano blog

#1982402 - 11/03/12 10:09 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Don't forget about our annual 'Holiday Performances' thread. (Being politically correct).

It usually opens around Dec 1st and lasts as long as you can stand it.

#1982421 - 11/03/12 10:59 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Last year I took a break from prepping for my grade 4 exam to do Christmas pieces. I started in November with theFaber level 4 book. This year I started earlier but instead of going to the level 5 book I did level 3a-3b of Faber. I really like the Faber books and doing the slightly easier arrangements make it easier to focus on dynamics and musicality. Plus I can do more pieces in the short amount of time. So far I have Silent Night, Angels We Have Hears On High, and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Fun stuff!!

#1982426 - 11/03/12 11:19 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: ZoeCalgary]
tangleweeds Offline

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
I really like the Faber books and doing the slightly easier arrangements make it easier to focus on dynamics and musicality.

Not holiday-related, but I've been doing this in my own (self-directed) piano study. When I first returned to piano (after a year of childhood lessons many decades ago), I was hungry for ever more complexity in what I was playing. It was like having more notes made things sound better to me.

But since I read Effortless Mastery, I've actually regressed myself in terms of the difficulty level printed on the cover, so that I can play more "from the zone". I've been finding that this regression has freed up brain cells that I can use to focus more intensively on significant details like dynamics and articulation, as well as broader concerns like musicality and relaxation at the keyboard.

Back to Christmas music: are you working from the supplemental PlayTime, ChordTime etc type series (I can never keep track of them all), or some other Faber holiday books that I'm not aware of?

Edited by tangleweeds (11/03/12 11:20 PM)
Edit Reason: editing artifacts

neglected piano blog

#1982448 - 11/04/12 01:48 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Last week my teacher mentioned that if I wanted to have something ready by Christmas, I better get started. Pulled out Christmas for All Time book 2 which I used last year. Like Casinitaly, I was pleasantly surprised at how much easier it was to read through and play a song that I had worked so hard to learn last year. Even the notes seem bigger than I remember. It is so difficult for me to notice any progress, week-to-week, but maybe it is happening. That would be a great Christmas present!

#1982466 - 11/04/12 03:20 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Found a great transcription last year of "I'll Be Home For Christmas" that I knew I'd want to learn someday, before I could even play. I plan on giving that, and some great transcriptions from here a go (http://noelnoelnoel.com/piano/piano.html); they're simple (ish) enough that I can hopefully get through them all by that time

#1982524 - 11/04/12 08:48 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
SoundThumb Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Thanks for that link, Bobpickle. That site looks very interesting and just about my level.

#1982568 - 11/04/12 11:20 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tangleweeds - the Faber books have the following names for their levels:

- Pretime (primer)
- Playtime (level 1)
- Showtime (level 2a)
- chordtime (level 2b)
- Funtime (level 3a-3b) (early intermediate)
- Bigtime (level 4) (intermediate)
- Advancetime (level 5) (advanced)

I felt much like you a few months ago. I was always wanting to get to the more andvanced and complex music. But that was getting me nowhere! It wasn't until I had decided I wanted to play in a long term care residence that I realized two things

1) I didn't have many pieces in my repertoire
2) those pieces I had pushed me to my limits and I could never relax when playing them

I read somewhere you should 'perform' pieces you have mastered and are several levels below your current level. So this started me on my journey for nice easier arrangements of pieces. I did a 360 turnaround fromwanting more complex music to easier music! Back to the Christmas music I have the following:

- Funtime 3a-3b
- Bigtime 4
- Advancetime 5 (haven't played any of these yet)

- Piano Adventures Christmas book 1- I bought this for my son last year who had just started playing. This year he is able to sight read through many of the pieces and enjoying this very much.

I believe the all of the above books are Faber supplementary materials. What I like is that in each level the pieces are arranged very nicely and sound very musical. I think my son hears this too because he gets really excited playing from the Faber book.

#1982706 - 11/04/12 04:50 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
justpin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Holmes Chapel
I learnt Auld Lang Syne ages ago.

#1982745 - 11/04/12 07:17 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
LizAnne Offline

We're learning a few (simplified) Nutcracker pieces in my group lessons. I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!), but Nutcracker I can handle. smile

I dream of being able to string them all together and post them, but it'll probably only be one piece, maybe two.

#1982766 - 11/04/12 08:02 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Quote:
We're learning a few (simplified) Nutcracker pieces in my group lessons. I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!), but Nutcracker I can handle. smile

LOL! My teacher suggested we could work on some Xmas music a couple of weeks ago and I politely said I wasn't into Xmas- not my bag at all! Jingle Bells is enough. laugh

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1982784 - 11/04/12 08:53 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
bbuckis Offline

Started last years Christmas music really late (like the second week of December.) So this year I made sure to start earlier.
Teacher wanted me to start learning Clair de lune, last week. I showed up with Merry Christmas Darling and Happy Holidays.
Fortunately he thought it was a good idea!

Fortunately the piano I want the most is sold by Steinway & Sons!
Unfortunately the piano I want the most is only sold by Steinway & Sons.

#1982788 - 11/04/12 09:23 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: EdwardianPiano]
tangleweeds Offline

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano
Quote:
I was scared when she said we were going to do christmas music (yuk!),

LOL! My teacher suggested we could work on some Xmas music a couple of weeks ago and I politely said I wasn't into Xmas- not my bag at all! Jingle Bells is enough. laugh

It's funny, some years I really get into Christmas, and other years I want nothing to do with it. This year both my roommate and I seem to be getting into it. While I'm learning christmas music, she picked up one of those crafty die-cutting machines, and she's collecting dies for recycling old soda-pop cans into metallic snowflakes and other ornaments.

(And augh, I have several pairs of Christmas-present handmade socks to finish knitting. Back in August, it seemed like a brilliant idea to make kneesocks... the blasted things go on forever!!)

neglected piano blog

#1982815 - 11/04/12 11:28 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

I had my first lesson with my new teacher today. When I played Hark The Herald Angels Sing she said that was really nice. We need to get you something harder. Haha! I showed her my level 5 book and I picked Auld Lang Syne. I think I'll go back to my level 4 and pick something from there too. I love playing Christmas carols. But, I find I have to learn several per season so you don't drive yourself crazy.

#1982842 - 11/05/12 02:05 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
fliper Offline

Loc: Angola (Africa)
I started to play from "Alfred's Adult All-in-One Course - Merry Christmas Book (Level 1)"
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/Alfr...Level-1/3658934

#1982966 - 11/05/12 10:37 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm still using that one, fliper! I was thinking about getting the second book, but then I remembered that I bought "Christmas For All Time, Book 2" (Faber)last year, and only learned one piece from it.

Last year I learned "Carol of the Bells" from the Faber book, and the short version of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" from David Nevue, and just relaxed with level one pieces for the rest of my Christmas repertoire. I'm waiting a little bit longer this year because last year by the time Christmas day came, I was already burned out on Christmas carols. LOL

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1983405 - 11/06/12 11:41 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Ben Crosland Online   content

Loc: Worcester, UK
In case anyone is interested in some jazzier versions of classic carols, I have two arrangements available now:

Swingle Bells

and

Three Blue Kings

Both are about Grade 3 difficulty smile

Cool Beans!

Easy Christmas Jazz

YouTube channel

#1983415 - 11/06/12 12:05 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: Ben Crosland]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Ben Crosland
In case anyone is interested in some jazzier versions of classic carols, I have two arrangements available now:

Swingle Bells

and

Three Blue Kings

Both are about Grade 3 difficulty smile

Love the titles! smile

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1983566 - 11/06/12 08:44 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
JeanieA Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Reno, Nevada
This may not be "politically correct," but it seems apropos... and yes, I started practicing Christmas music a couple of weeks ago! smile

#1983615 - 11/07/12 12:50 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I'm working on Christmas music already. I started by playingthe pieces that i learned last year out of the Faber level 4 Christmas book. I played about 4 pieces last year (they are on my youtube page.) I decided to play a few more pieces out of that book for this Christmas. I should have them ready when the Christmas thread gets started.

Most of the pieces that I played last year took a couple of weeks per piece. I am finding them to be much easier this year.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1983658 - 11/07/12 04:10 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
Marco M Offline

Loc: Europe
Do you know which Christmas songs are the classics to listen to in Lima, PerĂº?
before playing Drums in adults bluesband on handpicked set; before crashing E-Guitar in kids garage band; raised on home entertainment Organ and Keyboard models Eminent Solina P240, Farfisa Maharani 259R, Technics KN800, and on Mouth Organ, Recorder and Accordion

#1983693 - 11/07/12 08:10 AM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Weeds,

I picked up a couple of books from that thread figuring they'd make good reading fodder if nothing else.

I've also been searching for jazzy arrangements and just last night found the one I want to work on........a real nice Dan Coates arrangement of Merry Christmas, Darling. Once I heard those lush chords I knew I was hooked for the holidays, even though it is going to take some work to get it sounding good.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1983819 - 11/07/12 04:08 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
jaredm2012 Offline

Loc: Alabama
I'm working on some Christmas music now, and loving it! It is some of my favorite music. My teacher is using some carol books to go through to work on sight reading skills, and I figure I'll pick 4-5 of them to work up to play for fun for family and friends this Christmas.

#1983826 - 11/07/12 04:29 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: tangleweeds]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
LOL, when I played through it last night I didn't even realize the song (Merry Christmas, Darling) was the one done back in the 1970's by Karen Carpenter. Ugggh, if there was ever a group or a singer that made me gag it was the Carpenters in the 70's. I may have to rethink my Xmas strategy here.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1983921 - 11/07/12 09:41 PM Re: Tra-la-la, la-la (Pa-rum-pum-pum, pum!) [Re: JimF]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: JimF
Ugggh, if there was ever a group or a singer that made me gag it was the Carpenters in the 70's.

Same here.
I hope you can focus on the music rather than that bit of unfortunate history.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
52" Samick
by PaulBuck
1 minute 37 seconds ago
Piano Tuner Recommendation
by DancerJ
59 minutes 37 seconds ago
Opening a Kawai ES7
by ColoRodney
Today at 03:32 PM
Kawai MP11 black key noise?
by rungabic
Today at 11:35 AM
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
Today at 09:31 AM
Who's Online
142 registered (anotherscott, accordeur, ajames, Anne'sson, 39 invisible), 1643 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157692 Topics
2316263 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission