Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1980674 - 10/30/12 07:14 PM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: Ozgur]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Admittedly, we're just speculating about how this thing works. But the idea of using an actual piano action coupled to pressure sensors raises some weird questions. Will it be possible to voice an Alpha Piano the way you do an acoustic instrument (with needles, sanding, etc.)? Would such a connection between the action and the sensors create a unique sound for each individual instrument? Would that be a good thing or a bad thing?

Fundamentally, the output of the sensors is still used to select from among a finite (although large) set of sampled sounds, right? So is there anything to be gained creatively from creating a less deterministic connection between the physical action and the samples?

To me this idea of using pressure sensors again raises the philosophical question about how far DP manufacturers ought to go in trying to replicate each and every idiosyncrasy of the acoustic piano.

B.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1980678 - 10/30/12 07:19 PM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: Ozgur]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Voicing of hammers is already possible/available on DP's (Roland comes to mind, maybe others?).

#1980685 - 10/30/12 07:44 PM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: Ozgur]
Radion Romanovich Offline

Perhaps some day they will even include a 'Prepared Piano' preset with different objects to choose for XX-Century repertoire, like they already have a de-tuned piano?

On a more serious note, it would be interesting if not so far into the future DP developers start experimenting and possibly create a new instrument in its own right, kind of a Wurlitzer of the digital era. And yes, I'm aware there is such a thing called a synthesizer, but I'm talking about something more specific.

The idea behind these digital piano will always be an oxymoron, anyways. And as far as I know, all major players have these kind of thing built into their machines (damper, voicing of hammers, etc.)

#1980691 - 10/30/12 08:12 PM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: spanishbuddha]
slowtraveler Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
Originally Posted By: spanishbuddha
Voicing of hammers is already possible/available on DP's (Roland comes to mind, maybe others?).

Sort of. With respect to Roland's so-called Piano Designer functionality, you can adjust what they call "hammer noise" globally but not for individual notes, I believe. I don't know about other DPs.

I suppose the output of the sensors (simple hammer velocity, or whatever else) could be used to decide what kinds of signal processing to apply to individual samples, but that would imply a DSP signal path for every note up to maximum polyphony.

I'm assuming current instruments don't do that, correct?

B.

#1982609 - 11/04/12 12:57 PM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: Ozgur]
Ozgur Offline

Loc: Turkey
Originally Posted By: Ozgur
Originally Posted By: sullivang
Ozgur: Thanks - I agree - no need for a recording. It appears that your N1 does NOT simulate double-escapement. I saw a comment from another AvantGrand user (not sure which - I think it was either the N2 or N3) who tested it, and it DID simulate double-escapement.

Even though the N1 is the lowest model of the A.G series, I would have expected it to simulate double-escapement. I have never tried any A.G - it will be interesting to see what other A.G owners have to say about this.

My Casio PX-330 passes your test, as should almost all Yamaha Clavinovas, because almost all Clavinovas have a tri-sensor action.

Maybe there is something wrong with your N1.......

I cannot believe that Yamaha would deliberately omit double-escapement on the N1.

Greg.

Thanks for the guidance. Here, I request from other AG users to do the same test and write what happens. I have to repeat: This is not "playing off the jack". This actually is a necessary feature for practising. I need to know if other AG users can do this test.

But I am not obsessed with those problems, just want to know.

I requested the test from other AG owners but maybe this is not an interesting subject.

Anyway I did the test again to my N1 and it surprisingly passed it. The reason that it didn't pass earlier is that I expected exactly the same response like I do on the C1. The N1 simulates the double escapement but it's more difficult to achieve than on the C1. On the N1, I have to realease the key very carefully and higher than I do on the C1. That's why N1 requires a little more practise for the repetitions (which is actually very good for practising reasons)By the way, about 5 days ago, I tried a Celviano ap220, it has the double escapement effect but it's way too easy to achieve than on a grand piano. So you maybe tricked when you practice and may not achive the same response on a grand. So not a very beneficial practise tool for the repetitions.

My appologies for any inconvenience about the wrong results of my first test.

Yesterday and the day before I played the Gershwin Rhapsodie In Blue on a beautiful Steinway D. After practising on the N1, the fast repetition section of the piece was easier to achive on the Steinway D.

#1982855 - 11/05/12 03:42 AM Re: Promised to write a review of my new instrument:N1 [Re: Ozgur]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Ozgur: Good news! smile

I don't know whether you looked closely at the test procedure (in that other post I referred to), but I said to release the key to a point just before the note is damped. If you do that carefully, you will be able to reliably determine whether it has double-escapement or not. Of course, once you determine that it does have double-escapement, it's then a matter of determining how much key travel's worth of double-escapement you have.

It'd be interesting to know how much difference you perceive between different acoustic pianos - for example, do real pianos differ by the same amount that you are experiencing between digital and acoustic?

Greg.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What do you think about the Fatar TP40 keybed?
by 3mb3r4
Today at 03:22 AM
Essex EGP 155 or Yamaha Gc1
by pianomom301
Today at 02:14 AM
More Bach (Ich Ruf Zu Dir)
by johnlewisgrant
Today at 12:12 AM
Incredibly short fugue
by Pencil_skirts_and_
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
The piano made it home in time...
by Rich Galassini
Yesterday at 10:09 PM
Who's Online
75 registered (AliAlkhiro, 36251, ahrensjt, ando, Alux, 21 invisible), 926 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76201 Members
42 Forums
157526 Topics
2313894 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission