Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1982858 - 11/05/12 03:54 AM Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand
furlongdude Offline

Loc: Doylestown, PA

I just found this interesting video.

"Trying to fix-up an upright piano with improvised tools and parts after it was submerged under murky floodwater meters deep for 3 months at the Royal Elephant Kraal in Ayutthaya - Thailand"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG_EJGErO...mp;feature=plcp

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1982873 - 11/05/12 06:17 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
Tweedpipe Offline

Thank you for the link. A marvellous story!
And it just goes to show there are pro piano technicians and also superb amateur technicians - ready to take up an enormous challenge.
And to witness one very happy elephant too was so heart-warming.
The Unicorns

------------------------------

#1982877 - 11/05/12 06:44 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
Rich Galassini Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
I admire the tenacity of this man. I think he was actually making wooden rail punchings from scratch.

Anyway, the piano still has a long way to go, but at least it plays! Bravo!

(I also loved the elephant at the end. She was almost moving her head in time with the music)

Thank you for posting this video!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#1982878 - 11/05/12 06:46 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
9000 Post Club Member

Oh, and welcome to Piano World Furlong Dude! You are in my neighborhood and it appears you finally have your power back.

Bravo to that as well!
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#1982986 - 11/05/12 11:18 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
What a great video!!

#1983022 - 11/05/12 12:45 PM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
Dave B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia area
Now I know why Sanderson Accu-Tuner uses an elephant for it's logo.

#1983026 - 11/05/12 12:56 PM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: Rich Galassini]
furlongdude Offline

Here are two more great videos from Thailand.

"Scott Joplin for a Young Elephant"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb490eKbB...mp;feature=plcp

Piano for Elephants in Thailand (video diary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qQ2FhDwz...mp;feature=plcp

Thank you. Electricity is now flowing in Furlong. To see outdoor piano videos in Pennsylvania without Elephants but with a steam railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/user/furlongdude?feature=results_main

#1983218 - 11/05/12 09:40 PM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
9000 Post Club Member

All cool videos FD. Thank you again for sharing.

So, are you one of the ragtime players? smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com

#1983261 - 11/06/12 12:00 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
bfeils Offline

If you haven't seen Paul Barton reallllyy play piano I suggest you look at all his videos. He is one of the best pianists I've seen on YouTube and does some incredible tutorials. Really top notch pianist.

#1983288 - 11/06/12 03:05 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
that elephant is sooooo cute!

#1983594 - 11/06/12 10:59 PM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
Coldsalmon Offline

Thanks, this gives me some hope for my piano which was recently flooded in Hurricane Sandy.

#1985148 - 11/10/12 08:35 PM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: Coldsalmon]
furlongdude Offline

I looked for Paul Barton on this forum. Yes, he is a member. His posts include links to other piano/elephant videos. here are a few.

'The Elephant' by Saint-Saƫns with Thai Elephants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdogeZfVxk

Beethoven for Elephants - Thailand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKcks_4uLmA

#1990569 - 11/25/12 03:18 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
furlongdude Offline

Another amazing video.

Peter the Elephant plays a Green Piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5KoN54culM

#1990968 - 11/26/12 08:10 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
Clumsy Offline

Loc: Bangkok, Thailand
I'm new here and thanks for the links.

I'm in Bangkok and my 40-yr-old upright made it safe through last year's flood. I wrapped it in a PVC sheet, "lifted" it on a couple of concrete blocks about 20 cm. high. The water got to about the wheel level but did not get through the PVC sheet.

Some of those who wrapped their pianos during last year's flood didn't get it right. They forgot about the weight of the piano that presses on the wheel and onto the "roughness" of the floor. The weight-on-rough-surface tore through the PVC sheet and their piano submerged.

I thought about the problem and I had rubber pieces placed between the concrete block and the piano. This helps the sheet from coming into contact with the rough surface.

#1991322 - 11/27/12 05:11 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
One Saturday morning show, the circus band changed the music for the elephant act. The elephants refused to move. After a quick shouted instruction to play the old music that had been used for the past 30 years, the elephants went into the ring. the old music had been removed from the book but it doesn't take long to memorise a 2 hour show on 4-5 shows a day whether you want to or not so we all played it from memory.

The next show, the circus director asked for the first part of the old music and then change to the new music because it was current. (it was Galt McDermots 'African Waltz' so that dates the story to 1961).

As soon as we started with African Wz. I felt a tap on my head. It was the timpanist alerting me to what was happening in the ring. All 7 elephants were facing away from us but had all turned their heads and were staring at the band with their trunks in the air in disbelief.

Thanks for these great videos. What was done to the piano is also nothing short of amazing.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1991327 - 11/27/12 05:25 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One Saturday morning show, the circus band changed the music for the elephant act. The elephants refused to move. After a quick shouted instruction to play the old music that had been used for the past 30 years, the elephants went into the ring. the old music had been removed from the book but it doesn't take long to memorise a 2 hour show on 4-5 shows a day whether you want to or not so we all played it from memory.

The next show, the circus director asked for the first part of the old music and then change to the new music because it was current. (it was Galt McDermots 'African Waltz' so that dates the story to 1961).

As soon as we started with African Wz. I felt a tap on my head. It was the timpanist alerting me to what was happening in the ring. All 7 elephants were facing away from us but had all turned their heads and were staring at the band with their trunks in the air in disbelief.

Thanks for these great videos. What was done to the piano is also nothing short of amazing.

Eschew obfuscation.

#1991328 - 11/27/12 05:26 AM Re: Piano Returns from the Deep - Thailand [Re: furlongdude]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

One Saturday morning show, the circus band changed the music for the elephant act. The elephants refused to move. After a quick shouted instruction to play the old music that had been used for the past 30 years, the elephants went into the ring. the old music had been removed from the book but it doesn't take long to memorise a 2 hour show on 4 shows a day whether you want to or not so we all played it from memory.

As soon as we started with African Wz. I felt a tap on my head. It was the timpanist alerting me to what was happening in the ring. All 7 elephants were facing away from us but had all turned their heads and were staring at the band in bemused disbelief with their trunks in the air.

Edited by rxd (11/27/12 11:28 AM)

Eschew obfuscation.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rachmaninoff 2 and broken strings
by Anne'sson
58 minutes 33 seconds ago
Kawai CN24 vs Kawai CA65 Vs Acoustic
by Luca33
Today at 08:55 AM
What happpened to the "edit" button?
by jim ialeggio
Today at 07:38 AM
AMusA reports?
by Badinage
Today at 07:03 AM
Dipabrsm starting as an adult?
by Franz Beebert
Today at 06:37 AM
Who's Online
130 registered (anotherscott, ando, ajames, Anne'sson, 47 invisible), 1605 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76285 Members
42 Forums
157688 Topics
2316141 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission