Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
137 registered (accordeur, 36251, anotherscott, 42 invisible), 1455 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1982863 - 11/05/12 04:08 AM Yamaha P105 - Leslie control?
Floyd Tatum Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
I got a P-105 recently, to replace my P95. I'm still working on tweaking it to my liking, but basically, I'm enjoying it, and I think it's a worthwhile improvement from the P95.

Anyways, I was wondering if any other P105 owners might know the answer to the question of controlling the 'rotary speaker' (Leslie) slow/fast speed. The manual says you can control it using the left pedal of the optional 3-pedal attachment (LP-5A). The 3-pedal unit is designed for the permanent, wooden(particle-board), home-use stand.

I use the P105 for gigs, so I don't have that home-style stand, and I won't be getting the 3-pedal unit. I use an x-stand, and a standard one-pedal sustain pedal.

So, are there any other ways to control the rotary speaker slow/fast speed?

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to ask, because I'll probably never use any sounds except piano, rhodes, and possibly bass. The drum beats might be fun for practicing with. Still, you never know.

Speaking of sustain pedals...

I like to use Roland sustain pedals that have that swing-out rubber base which keeps the pedal from sliding around.

I have a Roland DP-10 pedal, which can work in either on/off mode, or continuous mode, for pianos that support half-pedalling.

I found that the DP-10 doesn't work in continuous mode with the P105, only in on/off mode. I suppose I could use a Yamaha pedal that supports half-pedalling, but I'm hooked on that swing-out rubber base thing on the Roland one.

Richard

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#1982866 - 11/05/12 04:21 AM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Kawai James Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Richard, I expect it's probably possible to change the slow/fast Leslie using a switch pedal into the other pedal jack.

Cheers,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1982928 - 11/05/12 09:10 AM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: Floyd Tatum]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Floyd Tatum
I'm hooked on that swing-out rubber base thing on the Roland one.

What is the advantage of the swing-out rubber base compared to a pedal with simply a solid rubber base that doesn't swing out?

#1983047 - 11/05/12 01:49 PM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: Kawai James]
Floyd Tatum Offline

James,

The other pedal input is not a standard 1/4" input, it's a small, round, multi-pin connector, the kind you might see on the back of a computer. So, if you could find a pedal with that kind of connector, then it might be possible to do what you suggest. But, I don't know what kind of pedal that would be.

#1983053 - 11/05/12 02:00 PM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: anotherscott]
Floyd Tatum Offline

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
What is the advantage of the swing-out rubber base compared to a pedal with simply a solid rubber base that doesn't swing out?

Scott,

The swing-out rubber base doubles the length of the pedal. When you play, your heel goes on the extended rubber base, holding the whole thing in place.

That works quite well for me, although I suppose it might not work for everyone, depending on the length of your foot, the way you play, and so on.

I find that other pedals, that don't have that swing-out base, move around too easily.

Richard

#1983132 - 11/05/12 05:15 PM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: Floyd Tatum]
1John Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
I have one of those swing-out pedals, and appreciate how they don't move around as much. Maybe you could attach a piece of rubber to the Yamaha one. It'd end up longer, but may not be a problem.

#1983190 - 11/05/12 07:46 PM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: 1John]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

Only thing I could think of would be to somehow have for example two wood blocks- have a hole drilled into both and then screw the ends of the pedal base (left and right) into those to stabilize.

Its a custom workaround that might be good. The weight would gravitite and the pedal board itself would not move.

I will though go try the Organs on mine- and tell you how the speed changes- I sold the P95 but like you upgraded since I had the custom stand and pedals.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2067153 - 04/19/13 02:17 PM Re: Yamaha P105 - Leslie control? [Re: Floyd Tatum]
Michael H Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
The triple pedal connector looks a lot like an old Mac mini din 8 cable connector, with maybe less posts. It's hard to tell by enlarging web photos.

I'm getting a P105 next week myself, and I think that the jazz organ might be ok in a pinch, if the Leslie could be slowed down, so I'll probably be experimenting too.

What would probably work is getting a cable with similar connectors, chopping it, and touching different pairs of connectors until it affects the Leslie speed, then wiring up a footswitch. Or else, a company like Digikey might have the right connector.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Experienced pianist: digital piano to "replace" grand
by integris
12/18/14 05:39 PM
why do I suddenly have clacking bass notes
by music32
12/18/14 04:57 PM
Kawai Digital Piano
by Deegs23
12/18/14 03:28 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:41 PM
A new clip of the great Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/18/14 01:38 PM
Forum Stats
77340 Members
42 Forums
159960 Topics
2349158 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission