Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1982859 - 11/05/12 03:54 AM Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30)
Yuri Pavlov Offline

Loc: Moscow, Russia
I do not know, it makes sense to compare the sound of the forehead (maybe not), but you can try to compare the sound of tango, and the recorded sound of Pianoteq KORG SV1 on the basis of the MIDI file (MIDI recorded with Pianoteq and send to SV1).

So, listen to yourself, well, let us know what you think!

Var.1 (source, Pianoteq, Blutner) - http://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/tango

Var.2 (Korg SV1) -
http://soundcloud.com/yuripavl/tango-sv-1-gp
English (with some problems)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Yamaha Keyboards for Performance and Composition

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1982864 - 11/05/12 04:16 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@Yuri Pavlov,

I enjoyed your playing in the tango piece, and, wanted to add that the 2nd recording (Var. 2) sounds improved, over the first recording.

Critique:

The first recording is a little bit too dry and boxed-in, whereas the 2nd one has defined clarity with better reverb and resonance.

#1982867 - 11/05/12 04:25 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
Yuri Pavlov Offline

Thank you, pv88
Yes, the second option sounds more luxurious, but the first shows more nuances inherent in chamber music (I think)

#1982929 - 11/05/12 09:10 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yuri:

When you present these types of comparisons, not disclosing the source of either tends to lend credability to the results. When you disclose the source, you introduce the possibility of bias due to pre-existing opinions about those sources.

That is similar to my wife asking her friend ..."How you do like my new dress ?"

Really ? Do you think your friend is ever going to say anything else except ..."I love it. It is beautiful !"

Want the truth ? Bring over a half dozen dresses and ask her to put them in order of how she likes them.

Anyway ....
This especially true with a controversial product like Pianoteq. Many people on this forum have expressed a great distaste for that sound. It would have been nice to get their opinions without the knowledge of which one was the Pianoteq sound. Now, that opportunity is lost and unfortunately renders (In my mind,anyway) these opinions pretty much valueless.

My opinion ?

Well, you played it very well. I thought the Pianoteq sound was richer and more mellow but both sounded fine ... just different.

Edited by dmd (11/05/12 09:21 AM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1982934 - 11/05/12 09:21 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

I've actually never heard a Pianoteq or a Korg piano that I really liked, and these samples don't change my mind.

#1982948 - 11/05/12 09:51 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: anotherscott]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
I've actually never heard a Pianoteq or a Korg piano that I really liked, and these samples don't change my mind.

LOL ... I rest my case.

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#1982972 - 11/05/12 10:53 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: dmd]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: dmd
LOL ... I rest my case.

Honestly, I came to the samples with an open mind, hoping to like them... I never heard those particular instruments, and I always hope to hear something that will make me go wow! I really have no bias against either company, I just haven't been terribly impressed by any piano I've heard from either of them so far. I would be very happy to hear something to the contrary... unfortunately, these didn't do it.

#1982987 - 11/05/12 11:18 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: anotherscott]
dmd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
LOL ... I rest my case.

Honestly, I came to the samples with an open mind, hoping to like them... I never heard those particular instruments, and I always hope to hear something that will make me go wow! I really have no bias against either company, I just haven't been terribly impressed by any piano I've heard from either of them so far. I would be very happy to hear something to the contrary... unfortunately, these didn't do it.

I absolutely do not doubt your sense of fairness in this. My only point is that until things are compared with no knowledge of which products are even involved, I belive there can be no unbiased opinions. That is just the nature of things. We are all biased toward things and no amount of good intentions will free us from that bias.

#1983002 - 11/05/12 11:55 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
I am biased against PianoTeq. But why is that? Because it sounds absolutely rubbish, that's why. So yes, I come to this from that position and listening confirms my opinion - it IS rubbish. The midrange that carries the melody just sounds like a synthesised piano - which is exactly what it is.

The Korg sounds pretty useless too.

So if you want positivity, I'm your man today!

#1983012 - 11/05/12 12:27 PM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
Yuri Pavlov Offline

My friends, I was trying to convey nuanced (staccato, piano, forte), and here Pianoteq provide maximum opportunities. Or my favorite TruePianos, or "heavy" VST-pianos unfortunately are not capable.
But I understand those who like both, and who believes that both options are bad.
Of course, for the objectivity needed to turn off all effects and do not inform about the sound engine!
I've done both options to download, so if there is a desire can compare the original sound (of course, if you want!).
Thanks for your feedback!

#1983049 - 11/05/12 01:55 PM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Regarding Pianoteq ... For years I've held the same opinion as EssBrace. It was rubbish.

But they've recently come out with their "Bluthner" clone, and it sound pretty good. It's not quite "there" yet, but I think it's the first usable Pianoteq so far.

#1983066 - 11/05/12 02:19 PM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Yes I agree it (PianoTeq) is improving, there's no doubt about that but it still just doesn't sound real. Some demos I've heard seem to flatter it and for few moments you can think to yourself "wow, they've cracked it!" but more careful listening reveals all the same issues albeit they are reducing over time. They'll get there one day...

It sounds as good, and in some ways perhaps better, than the Korg sounds on the other recording.

#1983125 - 11/05/12 05:00 PM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
Allan W. Offline

Loc: Michigan
Would you like to post a MIDI file? Then I can add some recordings from Ivory.

#1983131 - 11/05/12 05:13 PM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: Yuri Pavlov]
Yuri Pavlov Offline

Allan,
If you think that this makes sense, please - http://www.mediafire.com/?xe03amxxxb6ai93

#1983354 - 11/06/12 09:08 AM Re: Compare sound (Pianoteq VS Korg SV1, Tango, 1:30) [Re: dmd]
kurtie Offline

This especially true with a controversial product like Pianoteq. Many people on this forum have expressed a great distaste for that sound. It would have been nice to get their opinions without the knowledge of which one was the Pianoteq sound. Now, that opportunity is lost and unfortunately renders (In my mind,anyway) these opinions pretty much valueless.

+1

Blind tests for the win!

My guess is that a few would be surprised of their own choices wink. Maybe including me... that's the beauty of blind tests.

Regards,
Kurt.-

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
117 registered (a-z0-9, 36251, A Guy, Abby Pianoman, 32 invisible), 1680 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156292 Topics
2295364 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Marc-André Hamelin discusses Rachmaninoff
by vers la flan
25 minutes 32 seconds ago
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
Today at 08:11 PM
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission