2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Kurtman,

Steinway Patent US 2,051,633 April 18th 1936 "Sound Board" will give you a rough idea of the diaphramatic sound board they are referring to.

Rich, you are making a strong claim regarding circumstances in the shop you personally, as a salesman, are observing.

For the purposes of reference, I would like even one serial number and some documentation of your claim.

BTW, I will include this documentation in the material I am collecting for Bill Shull.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/EJBuckPerformances
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
In my opinion “crowning” has been quiet amplified as fundamental contributor to the performance of the soundboard when in reality there are other aspects which are much more important. One fundamental factor is rib positioning; the ribs in the soundboard play an essential role in stiffening the soundboard, preventing the board from subdividing in several vibrating pockets (which happens to some degree) which results in energy consumption instead of energy radiation. Ribs positioning equalize the properties of the soundboard along and perpendicularly to the grain (isotropy).

Your point is well made with the exception that it seems to lump all types of soundboard design together in one fundamental category. The real goal in soundboard design is to achieve a certain stiffness-to-weight ratio that is compatible with the character of the stringing scale. If the original design depended significantly on the compression stiffness of the soundboard panel—and the resultant crown—to achieve its necessary system stiffness than that crown is important. At least as an indicator; when the crown is gone it is an indication (along with the accompanying change in the sound of the piano) that a certain—and necessary—amount of its initial stiffness is also gone.

Other types of soundboard systems—those depending on the stiffness of appropriately designed ribs—do not share this dependency on system crown.

… Dimensions of the board also have a relation to its performance. As the soundboard becomes larger in proportion with the scale design of the piano , the soundboard happens to be too thin for its size and therefore the importance of stiffen the board. A larger soundboard has higher chances for energy loss. Good examples are concert grand pianos where the tail becomes very narrow and not wider. This is why I say that soundboards are not speakers, because they just don’t project airborne energy (sound) they also consume and recycle mechanical energy (vibration) otherwise the piano would not have any sustain in the tone.

This is a characteristic of speakers as well; when the energy source stops sending (electrical) energy into the system the speaker stops producing sound energy. So it is with the piano soundboard system; when the strings stop sending (mechanical) energy into the system the soundboard stops producing sound energy. Speaker diaphragms also consume energy (friction in the surround and spider and air) and recycle energy (through various resonances). The function of the piano soundboard system is very similar.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Larry Buck
Rich, you are making a strong claim regarding circumstances in the shop you personally, as a salesman, are observing.

Larry,

Of course I sell, but I have a sales staff that do this full time. As owner of a company that has a 12,000 sq. ft. restoration shop, a full compliment of outside service people, a moving company, a retail store, and a church organ consultation business, I cannot sell full time and I need a working knowledge of all of these aspects of our business.

My love though is the acoustic piano and the restoration center is what drew me into this business in the first place.

I am passionate about learning about it. I always have been. I am involved in decisions in all of our major projects, in production forecasts, and in costing and budgeting for our restoration projects. I have also, along with my partner Tim Oliver, changed the way we do restoration since becoming owners.

I know that does not make me a rebuilder, but I am finding your comments about being a salesman abrasive. Perhaps you didn't mean them that way. Sorry.

Anyway, I will see about getting any documentation tomorrow morning. As you know, I admire Bill's work and would enjoy helping his work in any small way that I can.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rich,

The documentation would be very good to have. Photo's especially as it clearly documents the observations you mention. Bill will be pleased to have things such as this, especially if it shows the features you mention.

For future reference, it is important to document as much of the original piano as possible. Features such as the beveled inner rim or curved belly rail are important.

Also, preserving any original parts, as artifacts, that have been removed with serial numbers and model's If you do not have room or inclination to store them, there are some Bill and I would like to have and preserve for study and reference.

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
A
acortot Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Del

This is a characteristic of speakers as well; when the energy source stops sending (electrical) energy into the system the speaker stops producing sound energy. So it is with the piano soundboard system; when the strings stop sending (mechanical) energy into the system the soundboard stops producing sound energy. Speaker diaphragms also consume energy (friction in the surround and spider and air) and recycle energy (through various resonances). The function of the piano soundboard system is very similar.

ddf

Well, in truth, Speakers, especially the full-range type used for musical instruments, do not stop producing sound immediately after signal is removed, since they do have resonances, although slight

..another element to consider is that the Speaker is designed from the ground-up to minimize distortion and enhance linearity, in an effort to convert the electric signal waveform into it's corresponding sound..

the pistonic motion of the speaker cone, the shape of the cone, the suspension system of spider and the suspension on the rim of the cone, are all in function of an 'ideal' representation of the waveform..

with Pianos, from a high-fidelity point-of-view, we have a terrible transducer, which does not aim to follow the input waveform linearly, but instead it creates a 'sound' based on the way the soundboard interacts with the string.. including regeneration.

Last edited by acortot; 11/05/12 04:01 AM.

Max di Mario
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Larry Buck

Also, preserving any original parts, as artifacts, that have been removed with serial numbers and model's If you do not have room or inclination to store them, there are some Bill and I would like to have and preserve for study and reference.

Let me know by email, pm, or by phone what you think you and Bill would have interest in and we are happy to help if we can.

All the best,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Rich,

Steinway from the very beginning to 1884.

Any older instrument prior to 1884

Photo's.,

Plan view, parallax corrected top and bottom of the piano.
Plan view along the same lines of the action bass and treble side, front and top.

Scale measurments, strike distance from the agraffe, capo or otherwise front termination.

As you mentioned the possibility of a beveled inner rim .. photographs of that.

Photographs of anything and everything of interest.

Document the action, orignal key ratio's, spread, weights of parts by sections.

As far as parts from these pianos? Everything. We are interested in all of it.

If you must remove the sound board ... as intact as possible is important. Removing the bridges as carefully as possible.

We will take everything you are not inclined to keep.

Best thing, contact either myself or Bill if you have something coming up.

Bill and I just flew down to San Antonio TX to document an 1868 8' or so Steinway grand in original condition.

We feel it is that important that we pd for the flight, bought lighting specifically for that occasion ... just to spend a day with that piano.

Mark Twain

E. J. Buck & Sons
Lowell MA 01852
978 458 8688
www.ejbuckpiano.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission