2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 17 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 167 of 540 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 539 540
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly
As for my n 4 and 5 fingers, - they are starting to behave a bit better, but I've still got a ways to go!

Speaking of 4th and 5th fingers...

Unfortunately, I've had a grand total of about 10 minutes of piano time over the past week. I've been playing stenographer for my wife's final (monstrous) project for a course she is taking.

This has involved a tremendous amount of typing, during which it occurred to me that there were some aspects of typing that are quite analogous to piano. I've always thought of myself as a pretty good typist -- I taught myself to touch type as a kid, I motor along at a good pace -- but after doing some critical self-observation, I'm realizing I'm not so good at it as I had thought.

The thing that really jumped out at me was the fact that my hands were hopping around much too much. Why? It turns out that I've been favoring #2 & #3 my whole typing life, hopping my hand around the keyboard while severely underutilizing #4 & #5. So, I'm totally revamping my typing (on the fly), hoping it will improve my #4 & #5 dexterity on the piano as well.

I've been hitting the musictheory.net exercises as time allows, and can now recognize intervals (on the keyboard, not on the staff) at a glance with a decent level of accuracy. This is helping me identify chords as well, seeing them as collections of intervals. Still need to learn how to do that on the staff -- the issue there is that it is more difficult to recognize when BC and EF are in the mix at a glance. Making steady progress overall though on the theory side. I can recognize many key signatures now intuitively, i.e. without having to figure out what they are.

And... piano tuner is scheduled for 12/21... woohoo!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
I've always thought of myself as a pretty good typist -- I taught myself to touch type as a kid, I motor along at a good pace -- but after doing some critical self-observation, I'm realizing I'm not so good at it as I had thought.

The thing that really jumped out at me was the fact that my hands were hopping around much too much. Why? It turns out that I've been favoring #2 & #3 my whole typing life, hopping my hand around the keyboard while severely underutilizing #4 & #5.

A few years into my working life (I'm a software engineer so it's all computer work) the young kids out of school started to make fun of my typing. It was reasonably fast - but they had been taught touch typing and I hadn't. Well, I learned with the help of a Mavis Beacon course and never looked back.

Why do I say this? Because if you have any jumping around the keyboard, you are not touch typing. Touch typing uses specific fingers for each of the letters that you type. You rest your fingers on the "home keys" (A-F and J-L) and just move the necessary finger from there.

I would suggest getting a computer program (I assume you can do that online these days) to learn that.

Apart from that, I have found that learning to relax my fingers at the piano keyboard directly translates to the computer keyboard too which is definitely a bonus!

Last edited by Andy Platt; 12/10/12 01:05 PM.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
I played in the adult recital at the piano studio yesterday. There were actually only four of us who played which was a shame. I played the first two movements of the Kuhlau sonatina very nicely - couple of minor slips and a clunker of an ending to one of the sections wink

Bach was less kind - I had a major memory slip and couldn't complete it. That's the trouble with Bach inventions - there aren't any good points to reset in the middle. Though I realize I need to develop some. I thought I had it pretty well memorized but recital nerves proved it wasn't so.

The other pieces played yesterday were a simplified version of Chopin's Eb Nocturne (I've told my teacher that is my next piece no arguing ... not simplified of course!), Mozarts Rondo all Turca (nicely played too) and one of the Chopin "Deux Nocturnes" (Op. 55)

Kawai K3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I'd just like to point out that the quote on the typing has nothing to do with me, it was TallGuy's reply to me. smile I actually AM a good typist - probably better than average, because for a long time I earned my keep at a keyboard!
Your points on using the same fingers for all the letters is bang on though Andy--- on the other hand - no pun intended!!! I noticed that for typing I can keep my hands in a fairly "flat" "just touching the keys position, without having any flying up in the air in wasted movement. This gives me hope for improving my piano problems!

Andy how great to participate in a live recital- even if there were only 4 participants. Sorry you had such a fiasco with the Invention - but it sounds like you're coping well and not traumatized !

I wonder if we'll hear YOUR Chopin at the next ABF recital? I think it is going to be a Chopin-fest!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
I'd just like to point out that the quote on the typing has nothing to do with me, it was TallGuy's reply to me. smile I actually AM a good typist - probably better than average, because for a long time I earned my keep at a keyboard!

Ooops - I fixed the quote!
I wonder if we'll hear YOUR Chopin at the next ABF recital? I think it is going to be a Chopin-fest!

No chance for February - almost certainly the Sonatina or Invention. May - 50/50, I would expect to see it in August.

This of course assumes my teacher doesn't talk me out of it ...

Kawai K3

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Andy - don't let your teacher talk you out of it!!!!

I'm aiming for a Chopin --but at the rate I'm going it will be May or August for me. ...I don't know if I should put a smilie face (because I'll be working on it) or a sad face on that (because I'm still cranky about playing catchup and correction)...hmmm.

Well, as this is my 3,000th post, I think it should be something special - so how about a "toast" to the special old friends in this thread, who've kept it going so long and so enthusiastically - and to the wonderful newcomers who have joined in so passionately!

Thanks to everyone for all the support and encouragement!

[Linked Image]

T
T
Congratulations on getting to 3000! Long may you continue to impress us with your wisdom and kindness, and share with us your piano progress xx

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
...I think it should be something special - so how about a "toast".....

Here, here, I'll drink to that!

Congrats on 3K and a gazillion reads for this thread. As for being a bit cranky on playing some piano-retrofit... I think we all have to do that from time to time. Had you flip-flopped it and started with the current teacher and moved to the first one, we might be discussing all the new things that your "new" teacher is showing you! LOL.

In general, I think teaching piano must be very difficult because every student seems to experience the instrument and the requirements it makes on us differently.

True story... a few weeks ago I was hacking through Moonlight Sonata for my teacher and had to glance at my hands. Of course I was totally lost in the score when I looked up and had to stop a few measures later. My teacher asked me why I stopped and I said I lost my place in the score. When, she asked? Like three measures ago, I said. She said, "and you just winged it for three measures, yet you were looking at the score the whole time?" Yep. I was staring at it, but not at anything in particular. Like I said, I had lost my place.

She was blown away by this exchange, particularly when I told her that sort of happens pretty often. First, she said she never knew I wasn't still reading the score. Plus, she assumed I would stop at the place where I got lost, but the fact is there is always (for me) a little bit more that is already "in my ear and fingers" even when I get lost. It is finding my place again that is the problem. So we are working on that, but never would have noted it as a particular problem had we not come across it in such a fortunate way. Poor teachers have to be mind readers sometimes.

AOTW: Teacher said I'd had a breakthrough in the "scales in bursts" that we've been on for a long time. Its all about relaxation of my hands and wrists, so I'm quite pleased to have made some noticeable improvement.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
my lesson last week with Catherine Robbins A Lovely Mood and all dynamics and pedals got checked off much to my surprise. In the pops dept the teacher told me itis time to move up from Big Notes to Easy Piano books. I graduated!! All suggestions for book purchase, arrangers and vendors would be welcome.

many hands many smiles

Big Mama Yama U1

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Toastie, and Jim!

Jim, you could be right about what might be happening had I had these two teachers in reverse order, but we'll never know!

Your description of getting lost in the score sounds quite interesting. It is funny that you say teacher have to be mind readers - I fully agree. In fact I have often said that I have to listen to what my students want to say rather than what they are actually saying. (I teach English to Italians)....sometimes it works and sometimes we end up staring blankly at each other for a minute while we puzzle through what's going on!

Great success on the scales! Congrats! I'm feeling marginally less awkward - probably because I'm not working hard enough at letting go of the irritation. I'm sure that if I could let go and just get on with it it would be easier. My new objective for the week - not to play better, but to play without crankies smile

ManyHands! That's a lovely bit of progress. One thing to watch out for is that some books claiming to be Easy Piano aren't! I wanted to buy some Easy Piano for my niece and I went to the Hal Leonard site to check them out - there are more than you can shake a stick at! Several different genres are available - but if you like pieces from musicals they really shine in that area.

What I would really suggest though, rather than buying on line - is to go to a shop (if possible) and check out the books in person before you make your purchases.

I get most of my music from Amazon UK but I often have to check out the amazon.com site to view pages, or search on other sites to see sample pages. It can be a bit of a hassle sometimes.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Casinintaly - congratulations on your 3000+ post. And - thanks to your attention to AOTW. This thread is so interesting and helpful, and you are always so encouraging to everyone!

Andy - Good for you for getting through your adult recital with Bach refusing to cooperate. It sounds like your other pieces went very well.

TallGuy - The touch typing similarity to piano is interesting. I am still looking for the back space key on the piano though. I seem to use it a lot on the computer.

MaryBee - congratulations on getting an approval from your teacher on the Chopin Waltz in C# minor. It is quite challenging! I am still trying to get it right.

FarmGirl- Welcome Back!

This has been a steady "recovery" week for me. I have discovered a new problem. When I play faster, especially on the Bach, my 4th finger on my RH over curls and collapses. Apparently it is still a lot weaker than I thought. So, my teacher has given me a couple of etudes to work on to help the 4th and 5th fingers.

Trying to record the Chopin Waltz just proved that I am not there with it yet. Oh well. It is memorized, but is does not sound the way I want it to. My teacher had lots of critique of what needs to be done.

So it is another one step forward two steps back week!

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
My AOTW is that I found out I could hit a ninth--the notes A, D#, and B--with my right hand. I have to take the B on the front edge of the key with my pinky, but it works. That particular chord (A,D#,B) is probably the easiest one to do, but I'll take it anyway. smile

CAS, wow, 3000 posts! And they aren't gimmes, either. If you counted by total number of words, you'd be right up there on PW.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

B
B
I practiced everyday for over a week straight. I finally sat down at the piano for the 1st time in months.

Feels good.

Bobby

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I went to my teacher's recital last night!

Learner
F
F
I bought a digi piano after faffing around with other hobbies for years!!! I got into piano 5 years ago or so, but only played for one year and then life took over. Put down the money (significant amount for me) for a Kawai CL-36, and loving every bit of it. Did a lot of research and came out with the right deal I think. I have the opposite of buyer's regret!

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
This is not so much an accomplishment as just plain fun. Once a week I go to a piano store in Zürich that has soundproofed piano rooms for rent at a very reasonable price. No one was there except me yesterday morning, so I tried out all four piano rooms and played four different pianos: a yamaha 7 ft grand, a Bosendorfer upright, a Boston baby grand, and a Bechstein upright. Each has a distinctively different feel and sound. I played my three pieces on each and it was really instructive to adjust the pieces to each piano. I had a blast!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice! Sounds like a ton of fun, and an interesting learning experience.

I've played on half a dozen no-name pianos in varying states of deplorable repair. They were all different too. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71
I bought a digi piano after faffing around with other hobbies for years!!! I got into piano 5 years ago or so, but only played for one year and then life took over. Put down the money (significant amount for me) for a Kawai CL-36, and loving every bit of it. Did a lot of research and came out with the right deal I think. I have the opposite of buyer's regret!
Congrats. Sounds like a great thing for you!

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Just want to check in with all of you. I haven't felt any particular "achievement" but then I have trouble keeping that concept in proportion to the micro-achievements that make up the big moves. This one is probably worth sharing however. On Dec 1 the Denver PW group had a piano party starting at one home with an 8' Bluthner and yummy food and then driving for the 2nd half to a home with a 1917 Steinway O. Between the two places I played 6 pieces most of the ones that I'm polishing for the level 5 exam (if I ever get the technical skills down). Although my hands were shaky through the Mozart I kept it moving and my encouraging audience gave me good reviews. I have been enjoying that sense of approval almost two weeks now. Praise really feels good.

Congrats Casinitaly for 3000 posts...you have been such a support to us. A shout out to all of you working on scales...I'm with you

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
P
P
Playing a duet of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" with my teacher after only one week of practice.

She loves duets so now I am working on Deck the Halls for this week. smile

Started lessons 03/22/11
Kawai CN34 (Purchased 05/24/14)
Page 167 of 540 1 2 165 166 167 168 169 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission