2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,125 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
Hi All,

If given a choice between 2 similar pianos at similar price, one has a PianoDisc player installed, and the other doesn't, which would you choose? The PianoDisc is not a modern system, it's about 20 years old (PianoDisc pds 128); however it still work just fine. I guess I'm worry about the player system altering the sound or touch of the piano or that it would cost more to maintain the piano with the player installed.

It would be nice to insert a disc and listen during a party since my repertoire is limited, but is it worth the extra trouble? Thanks.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Modern players do not make much difference to the sound or playability of a piano. The amount of extra work to service them as pianos is usually minimal. I do not know about the cost of maintaining the player mechanism.

That said, the biggest advantage to them might be if they can record. That can give you good feedback on your playing. If you just want it for parties, you might be better off hiring pianists when you need them.

Semipro Tech
T
T
I would not hesitate to go with the player. I have thousands of piano rolls on my laptop, and play them through my Clavinova.. I would enjoy a player acoustic grand, not so much to hear myself played back, but to play other pieces that I would like to learn, and be able to slow down the track to more carefully understand the technique.

Marriage is like a card game, you start with two hearts and a diamond, later you wish you had a club and a spade!
Yamaha G7 Yamaha CVP75 digital, Allen 3500 theater organ
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Everything else equal, I would go for the piano without. I love electronics but not in a piano. It takes away part of the charm for me.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Your party guests will be far more pleased and impressed if you hire an actual pianist. So if that is all you want a player piano for, I would say, No. You might feel better, too, at the thought of doing your part to keep the industry alive.

As far as recording goes, if you have a recording AP, it could be nice. Then again, an actual digital recorder also does a good job, for a lot less money and trouble, and with more flexibility of use. And a decent stereo, with a good music collection will give you far more bang for the buck, for listening.

You didn't mention MIDI, so I won't either... nor, DAW software. It is a big subject, for another discussion.

If you use the player a lot to listen to your piano, it does increase the wear on the instrument, and that will require more maintenance. But, what's a piano for anyway. Maybe the vibrations from the player will knock some of the dust off the case. I see a lot of player pianos in stores (like departments stores, restaurants, etc) which are apparently dead, though they were once used. That tells a story, though I'm not sure what it is.

It's exciting to have this kind of choice in front of you, jennie. When you have these similar pianos inspected by a tech before you make an offer, you'll have more information with which to make a judgment.

Clef

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
If they are at a similar price is the non-player piano of higher quality (i.e., larger)? I'd choose the non-player piano in that case. The player system is interesting but not interesting enough for me... more like a liability.

J
OP Offline
J
They are both the same brand and model pianos. What sort of liability if they are similar in price? If the player system broke and I don't repair it, wouldn't the piano still play as if it was a non player piano?

M
M
PDS-128 is a rather old model of PianoDisc system, and due to a fire at PianoDisc's facility a few years ago, parts are scarce. If you call for support, PianoDisc will just recommend replacing it with their newer iQ system. You could always enjoy it while it lasts and then remove it or replace it with a newer system. Properly installed, it shouldn't affect the touch of the piano. But it's old enough that it's not worth paying much of a premium for. And if the piano with the player system was ever in a commercial setting (hotel lobby etc.) and allowed to play for hours on end, I would definitely steer clear of that one.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Your party guests will be far more pleased and impressed if you hire an actual pianist. So if that is all you want a player piano for, I would say, No. You might feel better, too, at the thought of doing your part to keep the industry alive.

+1

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
BKr Offline
B
The decision should be guided by your usage of a piano. Do you want to listen and have an instrument play when having guests over or a piano for your playing enjoyment? To me the joy of a piano is learning to play it as this is a life long process and a hobby you can enjoy forever.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
It would still play like a normal piano, but maybe harder to sell later as the technology gets older or broken.

J
OP Offline
J
I decided against getting the player piano for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Thank you all for your opinions.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission