Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
148 registered (accordeur, Alexander Borro, ajames, ando, ABC Vermonter, anamnesis, 38 invisible), 1743 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1982380 - 11/03/12 08:41 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: Jean-Luc]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Thank you. I am currently looking at all the online resources mentioned here including Andrew Lypur's web site including his music theory class which I can take while I save for my piano. Thank you guy and gals and I am also going to look at Alfred's book, CD, and DVD combo. I found this fellow on YouTube who has been playing for 20+ years on piano and about five other instruments including hornpipe and, while I understand you have to have natural born talent to accomplish something like that, is as good a player as anyone I have ever heard and he says he is entirely self taught. That makes me feel a whole lot better.
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1982401 - 11/03/12 09:49 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: Derulux]
Ojustaboo Offline

Loc: Deleted
Originally Posted By: Derulux

So, I guess in closing, I would ask that, before you jump on someone with a scathing reply, please check the source. I've been posting in this forum since 2005 or so (with an extended absence in the middle), and all I've ever tried to do is help people the best that I can. Sometimes that requires asking unpopular questions, but if it means I can give them better help knowing the answer, then I feel it is only fair to the poster that I ask anyway.

Ok fair enough, having read through you're reply I see where you were coming from and apologise for my harsh response.

I have been worn down by a few posters telling those that stated they don't want teachers, to go get a teacher. It could have been anyone saying that, I wasn't meaning to single you out.

I do understand where your coming from but it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

Someone writes a short post, mentions they don't want a teacher, someone else like yourself, with a genuine reason, fully just wanting to help, responds also with a short post questioning them about not having a teacher.

The poster hasn't given the replier enough info as to why he or she can't have a teacher, and the replier hasn't given enough info in their reply as to their reasons for questioning this.

Again I apologise, I fully understand your reasoning.

At the same time a few posters congratulated me as they too have been finding being told to get a teacher when they have stated they cant, tiresome. Which shows its not just me that finds that sort of reply annoying.

And reading your follow up explanation I do get why you posted it, but this is why it's a catch 22 situation.

Had I been the op and posted my medical history as to why I can't have a teacher, you and most others (there will always be one) would have understood and wouldn't have questioned that.

But most people naturally don't want to give out all that personal info, hence are far more likely just to state that a teacher is an impossibility.

If someone responded to that post, with their reasons for questioning why the OP cant get a teacher, in as well thought out and concise way as you did to me, most people (again there's always one) wouldn't be offended (although, most still wouldn't want to share their personal health info). But it's very very very impracticable to respond to everyone who says they can't have a teacher in the way you did in your follow up posts.

Hence catch 22

I do sincerely apologise to you for misunderstanding, I know you wouldn't have gone out of your way to explain yourself if you weren't a kind and caring person and I'm sorry yours was the post that made me post my response that I've been debating whether or not to post for a few weeks now in response to numerous different posters.

I'm not sure there's an easy solution really, sorry if I'm repeating myself, just trying to fully explain my feelings.

Best

Joe

#1983568 - 11/06/12 09:00 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: BillTheSlink]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink
Thank you. I am currently looking at all the online resources mentioned here including Andrew Lypur's web site including his music theory class which I can take while I save for my piano.

Check out Josh Wright on YouTube as well. I like Andrew, but more often than not he takes 20 minutes to cover 2 minutes of material.

Josh doesn't have a course per se, but his topical videos are absolutely *packed* with helpful pointers.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1983576 - 11/06/12 09:38 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: aTallGuyNH]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Thanks for posting about Josh Wright piano videos. I already adjusted the piano bench because of him because I was sitting too close.

#1983650 - 11/07/12 03:39 AM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: aTallGuyNH]
BillTheSlink Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted By: BillTheSlink
Thank you. I am currently looking at all the online resources mentioned here including Andrew Lypur's web site including his music theory class which I can take while I save for my piano.

Check out Josh Wright on YouTube as well. I like Andrew, but more often than not he takes 20 minutes to cover 2 minutes of material.

Josh doesn't have a course per se, but his topical videos are absolutely *packed* with helpful pointers.

I know what you're saying about Andrew. The young man certainly has talent, but I wouldn't want him for a real life piano teacher. There would just be a personality clash between us. I am not putting him down mind you, but some people are to each other what icebergs are to the Titanic. I am afraid if I had to really pack up my stuff, drive in traffic and end up in not such a good mood before I even landed on his door, we would never even make it through a class without exchanging UNpleasentries. He just rubs me the wrong way, as I am quite sure I do other people, as a matter of fact I have lived it. They were nice people who I wanted to get to know, but I could tell they just didn't like me for some reason. Such is life.

On the upside I have settled on a piano, a new Casio PX-350 which I found out I can lease from a store in my state and apply the entire first years rent toward the purchase price, which is the same as everywhere else sells them for, and I am talking to some Skype instructors to decide which one to pick when the time comes. Let me tell you a U.S. dollar goes a long ways in Greece and the former Eastern Comm Block countries and also China. You can hire university professors and concert performers for less than half the cost of a lesson in the U.S. and most speak better English than I do. grin
Currently I am without a piano, but when I get mine back I will be working on "The Complete Piano Player", as well as Neely's "How to Play from a Fake Book. I am spending my time working on theory and learning how to construct chords currently.

#1984341 - 11/08/12 08:14 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: Michael_99]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Michael_99
Thanks for posting about Josh Wright piano videos. I already adjusted the piano bench because of him because I was sitting too close.

I have the same "too close" problem, but there is no space behind the bench to be had. I've yet to convince my wife to ditch the coffee table that sits between the dog cage and the sofa that take up all the space between me and the far wall.

I'm also making little headway in the "plants don't belong on the piano, even if it is just a $100 spinet" war. 2hearts

Josh is a very nice guy and generous with his time. I emailed him with a suggestion for a future video and a couple questions and he gave me a very thoughtful and fairly lengthy reply.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1984373 - 11/08/12 09:12 PM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: BillTheSlink]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
I will have to check him out!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1984456 - 11/09/12 02:18 AM Re: Best way to "Teach yourself" piano [Re: BillTheSlink]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
+1 to Josh Wright's videos

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Knabe WG48 Opinions?
by stevetothink
12/22/14 10:58 AM
More instruments via MIDI?
by badbob001
12/22/14 10:42 AM
Xmas present
by Jytte
12/22/14 09:29 AM
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160052 Topics
2350476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission