Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
73 registered (barbaram, AndyP, angga888, Beemer, 24 invisible), 1198 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 261 of 275 < 1 2 ... 259 260 261 262 263 ... 274 275 >
Topic Options
#1980641 - 10/30/12 05:41 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: -Frycek
Kathleen, please, please, please stick around.

Same plea from me Kathleen! No matter how this special thread develops you are, and always will be, its heart and soul.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1980643 - 10/30/12 05:44 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
cruiser Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cornwall, England
Originally Posted By: cruiser
Originally Posted By: chopin_r_us
...welcome back?

Well yes, thank you chopin_r_us!

I returned to the UK last year after living in Germany for eight years. Unfortunately I had to leave my beloved Yamaha C2M behind (sold) due to not having enough space in the new place frown

Horrors! What are you going to do??? Keyboard?? You can't go pianoless.

I've still got my old Yamaha P120 digital piano, Frycek. It will do until I get myself another acoustic which, of necessity, will be an upright of some description.

#1980730 - 10/30/12 10:13 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Kathleen, please, please, please stick around.

Yes, yes!

Great job, cruiser!
(Hope you don't mind being summoned back, Kathleen!) smile
Great to be seeing you here.

#1980856 - 10/31/12 09:06 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
loveschopintoomuch Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Illinois
Thank you all. I will stick around, but I fear I have little to post that is worthy of the highly intelligent and insightful comments that this thread has seen.

And a special thank you to Cruiser. After reading your e-mail yesterday, I practiced a nocturne that I started way back in 2008. It has been an on-again, off-again affair of the heart, but you made me determined to finally give it my all. I've only one page to learn and promised myself I would finally complete it by the end of the year. So...my gratitude to you.

And Frycek: I so often think of our time in D.C. What fun we had. Do you remember that wild commentary that MaryRose posted on this thread about me and "you know who?" How I rushed downstairs at the hotel to try to undo any damage to my reputation. Now I think about it and have a good laugh. MaryRose, for all her super qualities, can be a little devil when she wants do. But I love her dearly as I do you.

You might think of me as the "heart and soul" of this thread but it is because of all of you that I have learned so much about our hero. AND because of all of you, I went back to the piano after a few decades and was able to conquer my mental laziness. As I mentioned to Cruiser, I was able to play so much music (with hours of practice, naturally) that I astounded myself. You all inspired me and not the other way around!

So thank-you's hardly expresses how much I owe you all. heart

As always,
Kathleen

#1981060 - 10/31/12 06:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Another movie I really didn't like about Chopin (I couldn't even watch it to the end): Impromptu.

Music is my best friend.

#1981289 - 11/01/12 10:05 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

As long as we're mentioning movies -- good, bad, and beloved -- I think we have to mention Song to Remember -- considered bad by many, beloved by me. smile

It introduced me to some Chopin pieces, and sent me listening to LP after LP to find out what one of them was.

(It was:)

Sorry but I'm a sucker for stuff like that.
And at the time I had no idea about the piece being chopped up. ha

#1981316 - 11/01/12 11:58 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Certainly looks like he's playing the piano for real!

Here's the full film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqyM_iQius

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/01/12 12:11 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1981439 - 11/01/12 04:53 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
I like it when I was a kid.

#1981550 - 11/01/12 10:01 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: EdwardianPiano

GREAT GET!
(The whole film!?!?!? It sure is.)

(And to think that once upon a time I wasted 20 bucks or whatever buying the video cassette....) ha

#1981581 - 11/02/12 01:13 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

GREAT GET!
(The whole film!?!?!? It sure is.)

(And to think that once upon a time I wasted 20 bucks or whatever buying the video cassette....) ha

LOL videos they seem so clunky and old now- my local charity shop is full of them, I know a bloke who still has a video player though so he goes and buys them.
I watched the film earlier but have a habit of falling asleep on the couch so missed some of it.
Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1981591 - 11/02/12 02:07 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

As long as we're mentioning movies -- good, bad, and beloved -- I think we have to mention Song to Remember -- considered bad by many, beloved by me. smile

Better than the other two movies mentioned in this thread, but I didn't fall in love with it (although at least I watched it to the end). I would call it "mediocre". The other two were a real abomination. eek

Music is my best friend.

#1981598 - 11/02/12 03:09 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'll give Blue Note this much though. It was the only film so far that seems to be willing to depict the reality of Chopin's illness, even though it probably did so for the wrong reasons. (Grotesquerie rather than compassion.)

#1981684 - 11/02/12 09:31 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Mark_C Offline

....Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

It's been on my mental 'list' forever....gotta get to it some time. smile
I've heard good things about it.

I'll give Blue Note this much though. It was the only film so far that seems to be willing to depict the reality of Chopin's illness, even though it probably did so for the wrong reasons. (Grotesquerie rather than compassion.)

What reality of it did they give? (I'm sure you know there are differing views.)

#1981767 - 11/02/12 01:07 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

What reality of it did they give? (I'm sure you know there are differing views.)

The cough, extreme frailty, the fact he had to be carried upstairs, the lung hemorrhages. All documented facts, usually ignored.

#1981938 - 11/02/12 07:10 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: -Frycek]
Mark_C Offline

The cough, extreme frailty, the fact he had to be carried upstairs, the lung hemorrhages. All documented facts, usually ignored.

Oh OK -- but not any specific diagnosis? And of course that's fine, because we don't know. The most recent theory, which I think is embraced more and more but not nearly as a consensus, is cystic fibrosis.

#1982047 - 11/03/12 02:45 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Oh OK -- but not any specific diagnosis? And of course that's fine, because we don't know. The most recent theory, which I think is embraced more and more but not nearly as a consensus, is cystic fibrosis.

No, no specific diagnosis. They just weren't so coy about it that at the end he appears to die of nothing more than a bad cold (Desire for Love) or a broken heart (A Song to Remember). They were graphic enough to let you knew he was seriously ill. (Though he's still alive and with George as Blue Note ends.)

#1982328 - 11/03/12 06:55 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

I have the CD Desire for Love and would love to get rid of it. So Mark, if you want it, it's yours...for free because it isn't worth anything.

Just PM me your address and I'll send it along.

Kathleen

Listening to that clip brought shivers to my spine. Lord, what music!!

#1982348 - 11/03/12 07:19 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
4000 Post Club Member

OOOpppsss...I meant a DVD.

#1982410 - 11/03/12 10:27 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
[quote=EdwardianPiano]....Have you seen Immortal Beloved? ( Gary Oldman as Beethoven)?

It's been on my mental 'list' forever....gotta get to it some time. smile
I've heard good things about it.

It is quite good- Gary Oldman looks quite like the Master and is believable. Not keen on the many flashbacks in it - got a bit confusing. Worth seeing though.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/03/12 10:27 PM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983499 - 11/06/12 04:40 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Elene Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: under monsoon clouds
Hi, Kathleen and Cruiser!

I do think you (all) should see Immortal Beloved if you haven't yet. Like Impromptu, it is short on factual reality, but has a kind of deep emotional truth. The theory it espouses about the identity of the "Immortal Beloved" is almost certainly wrong, but it's a great guess, and something one might wish had been true. And Gary Oldman did look scarily like the real thing. There's one portrait of a young Beethoven that looks like Oldman actually sat for it himself.

(I loved Impromptu despite its silliness. As I've probably mentioned before, it was what got me started on my still-active Chopin addiction in 1993. Whereas when I saw A Song to Rememberat the age of 14, it drove me nuts because somehow I knew most of it was horribly wrong. That was when I originally discovered that I had a connection with Our Friend, having been completely unaware of him before that.)

Frycek found this on eBay: Standup life-size Chopin cutout

They have Liszt too, and a bunch of historical figures including a collection of saints.

Elene

Blog: http://elenedom.wordpress.com

#1983593 - 11/06/12 10:51 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Elene
....when I saw A Song to Remember at the age of 14, it drove me nuts because somehow I knew most of it was horribly wrong....

I've never really understood why people think that's a problem. ha

#1983597 - 11/06/12 11:16 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Elene]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Frycek found this on eBay: Standup life-size Chopin cutout

WOW I guess it would be nice to have it here.... next to me while I am playing the piano (I do have two pictures of him in front of me: the real photo when he was already sick and the avatar used by Frycek). Although I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable if my bird knocked it down.
Speaking of Impromptu, was it in Impromptu that there was a cage with a bird in Chopin's room? I noticed a cage in one of these movies about Fred, but I don't remember which.

Music is my best friend.

#1983598 - 11/06/12 11:18 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

....when I saw A Song to Remember at the age of 14, it drove me nuts because somehow I knew most of it was horribly wrong....

I've never really understood why people think that's a problem. ha

Well, for example those who don't know the facts could actually believe the fiction.

Music is my best friend.

#1983602 - 11/06/12 11:50 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thought you folks might be interested in this musical piano with Chopin's portrait on the lid:

ww.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-wooden-piano-musical-box-jewellery-box-Reuge-Swiss-movement-/261123504420?pt=UK_Collectables_Household_RL&hash=item3ccc2c7924

I'm not the seller- just saw it on ebay. Not able to bid for it myself too many bills at the moment..(

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/07/12 12:03 AM)

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983606 - 11/07/12 12:04 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
WOW I guess it would be nice to have it here.... next to me while I am playing the piano (I do have two pictures of him in front of me: the real photo when he was already sick and the avatar used by Frycek). Although I guess I wouldn't feel comfortable if my bird knocked it down.
Speaking of Impromptu, was it in Impromptu that there was a cage with a bird in Chopin's room? I noticed a cage in one of these movies about Fred, but I don't remember which.

What is your bird? A parrot?

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983622 - 11/07/12 01:36 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It's a cockatiel. smile

Music is my best friend.

#1983625 - 11/07/12 01:58 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: loveschopintoomuch]
Mary-Rose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Essex, England
Wouldn't there be a risk of your bird depositing a 'calling card' on poor Chopin's cardboard head?

#1983627 - 11/07/12 02:01 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: Mary-Rose]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, I was thinking of this too... blush So I am afraid it wouldn't really be a safe place for Fred after all. frown

Music is my best friend.

#1983735 - 11/07/12 11:34 AM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: ChopinAddict]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
It's a cockatiel. smile

What's its name? I bet it is a character! I like birds.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#1983815 - 11/07/12 03:57 PM Re: Just for those totally devoted to Chopin [Re: EdwardianPiano]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
It's a cockatiel. smile

What's its name? I bet it is a character! I like birds.

Howie (Howard). smile He is a whirlpool of energy, but he likes the piano and when I play he jumps into my lap, looks up and just listens. He prefers cheerful music to sad music. laugh

Music is my best friend.

Page 261 of 275 < 1 2 ... 259 260 261 262 263 ... 274 275 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348980 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission