2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 107 of 540 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 539 540
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
gabi, I don't know on which thread you will see the answer, but this has been identified (by Mark_C and others) as Debussy's Arabesque #1.

My AOTW is that I have done something I have never done before: memorized a piece from playing it so much. This is structural memory, not muscle memory. The piece is Gnossienne No. 1 by Erik Satie. I don't memorize easily, so this is utterly delightful to have this piece, which I like very much, in memory.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CasinItaly, your risotto recipe sounds wunderbar! It sounded so good in fact that it drove me to our favorite Italian restaurant in town for Risotto with Shrimp, rucola, and cherry tomatoes. It was yum!

I had my first piano lesson in almost two months today, and it went well. My teacher loved my Chopin Waltz in B minor, so it can go into the maintenance mode. For her to say "Sehr schön" (Very beautiful) means I am a very happy girl! She assigned me yet another waltz- Chopin Waltz in C# minor. This one looks more challenging. The other AOTW was that we identified two key technique issues that I need to work on. First I tend to keep my hand too stretched out while playing, which causes tension. She showed me how to run scales with a pearled hand, and I could instantly feel the difference in the tendons in the back of my hand! The second is that I am not moving from the shoulder enough which causes me to just reach with my hand instead of moving the whole arm. Again this is causing tension in the tendons. Hopefully now that I recognize what I am doing wrong, I can fix it.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the recipe Cheryl. I've just made some stock from guinea fowl remnants, and this is exactly what I'll be doing with it tomorrow. Ta muchly.

AsOTW have been starting to understand the basics of figured bass (today), doing a slow first pass of Froberger's Lamentation ('faite sur la mort tres douloureuse de Sa Majeste Imperiale, Ferdinand le troisieme') in a form that was vaguely recognisable, and realising that I now play all the left-hand down to three ledger lines below the bass staff without thinking about the notes. (They are *very* satisfying to play on the harpsichord and Froberger has lots of them.)

I have fallen in love with the Lamentation, but it's pretty challenging, and will take a while to learn. Two months ago I rejected the idea out of hand, but now I've begun to get to grips with Froberger's suspension-rich style, I'm thinking it's maybe not out of reach.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Christine - Glasslove- congrats on the Beethoven and thanks for the intro to Rollins. I have really enjoyed so much of the music you've introduced me to over the past couple of years!

Oudeis - sounds like a very very happy lesson! Good for you

Wisebuff - excellent progress on your Allemande! Good for you. I agree that it does help to know that even at such high levels of competency there is always something that can be improved or adjusted. Somehow it adds perspective and is both a reality check and an inspiration!

Yuki Kuki - I'm just starting to understand pedals recently. My teacher tried introducing me to the art over a year ago, but somehow.....it just didn't click til recently.

Pianostudent88- I know what you mean about "accidentally" memorizing. That happens to me too (mind you so far my pieces are pretty short, so memorizing isn't really that tricky!)

SwissMs you really are moving along with your Chopin!! Wonderful! and such a compliment from your teacher!

Eglantine, I am not familiar with Froberger - I've got homework to do! smile Sounds very interesting though, and I'm so intrigued that you're working on a harpsichord.

My AOTW is three-fold. I've made a bit of progress on the Chopin waltz, my pedalling technique seems to be improving - or to be more precise,....it is actually happening! I still have coordination issues, but now I really do understand how it works.

And finally - this is quite an achievement for me because it has been a LONG time coming. I managed to play my Franck "Doll's Complaint" with a very light left hand and a louder right hand. I've never managed to play stronger with one hand before for more than a bar or two. Now I can do it for the whole piece! I'm very chuffed!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

B
B
Originally Posted by casinitaly

And finally - this is quite an achievement for me because it has been a LONG time coming. I managed to play my Franck "Doll's Complaint" with a very light left hand and a louder right hand. I've never managed to play stronger with one hand before for more than a bar or two. Now I can do it for the whole piece! I'm very chuffed!

Congratulations! My left hand refuses to be tamed. It walks all over my right hand, and has so far refused any training. smile So I well appreciate the magnitude of your triumph!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bessel
Originally Posted by casinitaly

Congratulations! My left hand refuses to be tamed. It walks all over my right hand, and has so far refused any training. smile So I well appreciate the magnitude of your triumph!

Yes, congratulations! That is huge! I'm still not there yet, but I'm working hard to get closer.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Whoa! This thread has slipped to page three! Lots of other action going on. It sounds like everyone is progressing well. My AOTW was finally mastering a four note trill at the end of of Chopin Nocturne in Eb Major. It starts out slowly, gets fast, slows back down and then gracefully unwinds. At least that is what it is supposed to do. smile I could never keep it even when I speeded it up. My teacher taught how to do it with a slight forward and backward movement and it worked. Yeah!

B
B
Hey guys,

it has been a long time since i last posted here. Since Christmas i have been pretty busy and was out a lot. I also had my interest decreasing a bit.

Last week though i had my first recital and i played Bach minuet in G major and Bach minuet in G minor. I was pretty scared as i am not a "in public" guy. I also was the only adult in there. My son played is first recital as well there so i couldn t leave him alone and decided to go for it.

The first minuet went pretty good but i had some mistakes on the second. At the end of the recital a parent came to me to congratulate me on learning the piano and how he would have love to do that himself while his daughters were learning. He said it was really good. Although i really think he was beeing kind with my playing the comment of this guy i didn t knew brought back so much motivation in me. I don't know why sometimes those "events" really help.

So i decided to get back to work after 2 choppy months. I will still work on clementi sonatina. I am starting to know the 1st movement but the speed is definitely not there. I still have to work on that. I would love to be able to play the whole sonatina as my first complete piece.

Also as a more challenging piece i decided to go with Kulhau Op 20 N1. I discovered this with my wife as we were listening to music and i love this piece so much. She asked me to learn it for her. How could i refuse this. I know it is beyond my ability level but i will take this as a longer term project.

Here are for the news guys smile

@Casinitaly : I think i will try that risotto smile

@ samrose : I am speechless with the way you play after little more than a year. It is awesome. Could you read music before starting? Did you have any kind of music background?

Clementi op 36 mvt 1
Kulhau OP 20 1

Playing since Oct2011
D
D
Two small achievements for me this week.
First I passed my minor scales test, and second, I advanced to a new "sight reading" book. Keith Snell's Quiet Classic's.
Although when I looked through it, pretty much all of it is way too advanced for me to truly sight read, ie. play properly first time through. But there are a lot of fun pieces in there and im looking forward to learning them. smile

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Burt59

@ samrose : I am speechless with the way you play after little more than a year. It is awesome. Could you read music before starting? Did you have any kind of music background?

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been a bit burnt out lately.

To answer your questions, no and no. frown

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
I finally memorized "Una Furtiva Lagrima"'s piano part, with some of the vocal transposed to piano in the blank areas. I just have two or three tough transitions to 4-finger chords that foul me in the middle and end of the thing, but I have it memorized, but not smooth.

Currently working on/memorizing...
"It's You" from Robotech
"He's A Pirate"
"Crazy Bone Rag"
"What The World Needs Now"
C
C
Gee, sometimes I feel so out of place here. Where's the Adult Total Novice forum? smile

I've been self-teaching on-again/off-again for about a year, and I'm still learning the basics. But I did learn the bass line to Money (Pink Floyd) and Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) the other day. Not songs I intend to ever play to completion, but the parts I learned are so easy.

It's just nice to accomplish something outside of the beginner books and lessons once in a while, even if they are simple little riffs.

Also worked on the first 10 (or so) LH bars of Adagio (Suzanne Ciani), but I won't dare say I've learned it yet.

Last edited by cheechako; 03/16/12 03:32 PM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Congratulations, cheechako! I don't know Seven Nation Army, but I love the relentless beat of Money.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
C
C
Well, Seven Nation Army is so simple and repetative, I'm not sure it counts as learning. smile

I really like Nataly Dawn's cover on YouTube.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Two great songs, cheechako. It's always good to have fun.

Today I have memorised the bass line from Purcell's Ground (ZD 221; probably actually by William Croft, not Purcell). 3.5 bars, about 28 notes. Nothing at all. But it's all I need in LH, as it then repeats 10 more times. grin
A bit like Seven Nation Army!

J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
SwissMS -thanks for rescuing us and bringing us back up to the surface! Congrats on your trill. Aren't trills fun? I love them.

Burt59- Your first recital! Good for you. I don't think the other parent who spoke to you was simply being kind. Think about how many of us waited so very long before starting, ---- lots of people are still waiting, trying to summon up the courage to take the plunge and learn piano. He was most likely genuinely impressed that you had started and managed to perform in public. Don't forget that at most recitals, the audience is REALLY and sincerely rooting for all the performers.

DMT3339 - New music - ah, we all understand that thrill! Have a good time with your new challenges!

Rusty Foursome - 4 finger chords. Hmm. I have not yet come across any of those in my pieces. I find 3 finger chords sufficiently challengine. Good luck coming to grips with them!

Cheechako -- Please don't feel out of place - some of us here have only been playing a few months, a year or two, or three - then there are a few others who are farther along in their musical journey. It is a real mixed bag. Hey, sometimes we talk about which scales we're working on! We're all learning and sharing the adventure. Nothing is to simple or basic to put up as your AOTW in this thread - it is all relative to each person's experience.

Eglantine - will we get to hear your piece when you're done? I like Purcel very much - and whether this is Croft passing for Purcel or pure Purcel, if there is room for confusion, I'm sure I'd like it .

I have had a quiet week. I think my main achievement has just been getting to the piano period.
I have been improving with the use of the pedal, that started about 10 days ago or so.... and I've got the first page of my Chopin waltz (Am posthumous) memorized. I can play it all - V.E.R.Y. slowly.
However I don't think I'll be moving on to the second page til I have this one a bit more up to speed. The second page has a LOT in common with the beginning of the piece so I believe it will be much quicker to learn.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Casinitaly, my Olympus LS-10 is currently with Olympus UK tech services, as it completely packed up. (And it was only 5 weeks out of warranty!) I'm just waiting to hear if they can fix it. It's taking a few weeks. I'm hoping to get the Purcell in recordable shape by the time I get it back.

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I have finished memorizing Satie's First Gymnopédie. That means I now have three pieces memorized.

Also I have learned my last three harmonic minor scales, so now I know all 24 major and harmonic minor scales.

B
B
Greetings, everyone!

P88 - Hey, I have exactly 3 pieces memorized now, too! Two Clementi movements and a not-Bach minuet from the Anna Magdelena notebook. But I have nowhere *near* as many scales memorized...

Burt59 - your recital sounds great. It sounds like you did a great job! I have never done one, and can only imagine how much playing "publicly" would mess me up... I'm guessing it would be plenty messy. A hearty congratulations.

I've had a quiet few weeks, piano-wise. My latest Clementi movement is really coming together - lots of compliments today from my instructor, though we worked on the final 10 bars as I was least confident there. Now he's got me working on Fur Elise, which some of you may know tickles me pink because I love Beethoven and this is my first. I've got the first easy part going but not very smooth yet, and soon will start having to deal with what I'd call the first fast part. He thinks I can do it, so I'm psyched!

And just to say what's up with scales, since casinitaly mentioned them... I'm working on 2 octaves in anything other than C major... starting with G... shoulda done these long ago, but better late than never!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just checking in to see how everyone's doing. It's great to see some new contributors here, as well as updates from some of the "originals". Not a whole lot going on here, except that I'm really enjoying my Satie piece, Gnossienne #5. I've been having so much fun with it, that I also started working on #3 and #4. Can't wait for my next lesson, to start getting some feedback on these new ones.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
Page 107 of 540 1 2 105 106 107 108 109 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission