2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, 10 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mazurkajoe
Originally Posted by Ferdinand
or playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

no. 5?

I was thinking of no. 15. The repeated A flat or G sharp is not literally constant through the entire piece, but almost.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
or playing the same repeated note throughout a piece without its becoming monotonous, so to speak.

no. 5?

I was thinking of no. 15. The repeated A flat or G sharp is not literally constant through the entire piece, but almost.

Yes, and it is a real shame when you want to play that prelude and that key happens to be a bit sluggish due to humidity. I have been told it is one of the most prone to become sluggish?

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
For learning technique, the Preludes are probably better etudes than the Etudes. How many of you have played through all of them?

I have, a few times. And although I wouldn't say that taken as a whole they are better etudes than the etudes, I think some of them are very good as etudes, and seem as if Chopin may have had some pronounced etude-like thoughts while composing them.

Other composers' preludes sometimes seem that way too - many of the preludes of Scriabin and Rachmaninoff can double as etudes quite nicely, for example.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict

Yes, and it is a real shame when you want to play that prelude and that key happens to be a bit sluggish due to humidity. I have been told it is one of the most prone to become sluggish?

Dampp-Chaser

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber

no. 5?

That sounds odd. Who told you that and what explanation was given for why one particular key "is one of the most prone to become sluggish"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average." Not quite as strong as my assertion above, but it is still "possible".

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

P
P
Originally Posted by -Frycek
If this is any help, as most of you know Chopin arranged his Preludes as a nod to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. As for the etudes, just FYI, op 10 was published originally in two different books, six etudes to a book. which could be purchased separately. Don't know about op 25.

Only the English and German first editions published Op. 10 as two different books; the French first edition published it as one book.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by piette
Originally Posted by -Frycek
If this is any help, as most of you know Chopin arranged his Preludes as a nod to Bach's Well Tempered Clavier. As for the etudes, just FYI, op 10 was published originally in two different books, six etudes to a book. which could be purchased separately. Don't know about op 25.

Only the English and German first editions published Op. 10 as two different books; the French first edition published it as one book.

Interesting to know. Thanks!

[Linked Image]
A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average."....

Are you sure he/she was talking generally, rather than specifically about your piano? Like, maybe there was something about that particular flange (which would be my guess).

BTW I'm talking about this without having the slightest idea what a flange is....and I don't mean that you have to tell me. smile

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
A piano tuner told me, and this was the explanation: "It is possible that the G# will be the first to get sluggish when humid as the flange is probably tighter than average."....

Are you sure he/she was talking generally, rather than specifically about your piano? Like, maybe there was something about that particular flange (which would be my guess).

BTW I'm talking about this without having the slightest idea what a flange is....and I don't mean that you have to tell me. smile

It certainly sounds to me as though the tuner were referring to the particular piano in question, rather than to all pianos in general. I find it hard to grasp that all pianos suffer from this (unresolved) issue. Certainly I've never encountered it on any pianos I have ever played.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
On the question of piano strings ... did you chaps know that the Grand Johanna on the Hindenburg airship had aluminium strings ... to make it lighter!! (disaster May 6, 1937)

Now you know it all.

Originally Posted by BruceD

Are you sure he/she was talking generally, rather than specifically about your piano? Like, maybe there was something about that particular flange (which would be my guess)....
It certainly sounds to me as though the tuner were referring to the particular piano in question, rather than to all pianos in general....

Off the subject, but......I can't help it.... grin
This is a great example of where I think the rule about using the subjunctive in such a situation is a poor idea -- and I don't do it. Good thing I'm not still in school, because I might flunk. ha

I think that actually most people who know about the subjunctive and generally use it properly violate the rule in such a context, but (as far as I know) it is nevertheless considered wrong.

What do I mean by "such a context"?
A context where the stated situation is very possibly actual. I reserve the subjunctive for where it's just being imagined, or at most highly unlikely. I think the subjunctive sounds strange when the stated situation is true or very possibly true, but as far as I know, the rule doesn't care.

The rule needs to be changed.
Pass it on. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Yes, it is possible that he was making an assumption about my piano (he didn't have it in front of him), but I will ask him when I have the chance. smile At any rate the tuner is coming in January, so we will have a look at that flange. laugh

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb
On the question of piano strings ... did you chaps know that the Grand Johanna on the Hindenburg airship had aluminium strings ... to make it lighter!! (disaster May 6, 1937)

Now you know it all.

No, I don't. What was the rest of it made of?

[Linked Image]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Frycek,
Did a bit of reading up on the Hindenburg airship ...
and the use of aluminium strings to the piano.

No ... they didn't use balsawood for the rest of the piano!! ... to make it lighter.

Apparently the piano with aluminium strings did not
accompany the journey when the airship caught fire.
So presumably the old piano was left in the Frankfurt storeroom.

regards, btb

Dr. Rudolf Blüthner-Haessler was head of the Julius Blüthner Piano Company, which created the lightweight duralumin piano carried on Hindenburg during the 1936 season.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Thanks!

[Linked Image]
B
BDB Offline
B
I doubt that the piano had aluminum strings. That would be a tremendous design problem, as well as an acoustical one The bass strings may have been wrapped with aluminum, but the reason for wrapping strings is to add weight to them, anyway.

Semipro Tech
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission