Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
77 registered (Anne'sson, Auver, ALEXANDER DYKER, 36251, Arthur508, 21 invisible), 1232 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 53 of 249 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 248 249 >
Topic Options
#1779689 - 10/30/11 01:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Lain]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
My achievement of the week is that I faced my worst fear head on. I've always been terrified at the thought of public performance (of any kind at all), and so I've avoided doing anything of the sort for the first 22 years of my life.

I played Fantaisie Impromptu for a school "talent show" in front of I'd say between 50 and 80 people. A friend and I recently purchased a Yamaha U3 which we put on the same floor as the talent show, but the head of maintenance did not want us moving the piano (despite the fact that it has wheels and would be moved about 20 feet). So I had to play on a cheap Casio keyboard ($300-$400) instead of a more realistic action, such as the ones I've been practicing on (Yamaha CP300 digital and Yamaha U3 acoustic).
Despite that, and despite the nerves and the fact that the sound system was terrible (which made it hard for me to hear my own playing), I played through the entire piece, most of it pretty well. The measures I'm weakest at were the ones I screwed up on, since I didn't have the comfort of a familiar feeling set of keys.
But I played through without stopping, and for the most part did a good job. I didn't die, crap my pants, or forget everything, despite the difficult circumstances. People afterwards told me they were amazed and impressed, and didn't hear the mistakes. Thank heavens for non-musical people wink
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1779737 - 10/30/11 06:11 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
casinitaly Online   blank

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Bessel, that sounds like good progress.
My teacher has always provided our duet music, and I've never really noticed the covers.....I know that Martha Miers has duets at different levels. I'd check out Alfred's website too - Dennis Alexander has some duet books.
I mention those two composers because I've got some of their books and enjoy the pieces very much. They also have a wide range of styles in their collections.

Sam - good for you - too bad the maintenance guy wouldn't let you move the piano - maybe he thought it would mark the floor? who knows. Anyway, you survived your first public performance ! Three cheers for you.

Last night I was "noodling" and improvising Spanish sounding sweet nothings. It was most entertaining!

#1779799 - 10/30/11 09:10 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
My great AOTW ever: My wife has finally admitted that I play the piano better than Mister Cuesta laugh .

My website

#1779838 - 10/30/11 10:33 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
Yes, if Elise hears that she'll leave and never come back!

That sounds a bit grudging, Recaredo. I mean, Mr Cuesta couldn't be much worse. I'm sure you're better than that.

My AOTD: Db major, and Db major hands together. Couldn't believe how easy the HT is for this one. Yay!

#1779840 - 10/30/11 10:41 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Eglantine]
Lain Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Eglantine
My AOTD: Db major, and Db major hands together. Couldn't believe how easy the HT is for this one. Yay!

thumb

#1779867 - 10/30/11 11:50 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Recaredo, I know in my heart that you are MUCH better than Mr. Cuesta, really. It was very interesting to try to follow the Spanish - there are many similarities to Italian of course, but it is different - no doubt about that (just like there is no doubt about your musicianship Mr. R. )

Eglantine... Db scales...hmmmmm yes, I've heard of those. Haven't played them yet though. Nice to have a heads up that they might not be as challenging as they sound. smile

#1779878 - 10/30/11 12:06 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Db scales, HT and arpeggios, easier than some that go before. So be not afraid!

(BTW, most of the arpeggios, major and minor, that start on black and contain one white note, follow one pattern. Just spent 30 mins working it out. So for Db major, Ab major and Eb major, and for F# minor, C# minor and G# minor, the single white note always comes in the same place, after the tonic, and the fingering is identical. The odd one out is Bb minor, where the white note is in a different place and so the fingering is different.)

#1779881 - 10/30/11 12:14 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
blush That is the same feedback I get each week from my teacher too:

WORK HARDER ON THE ONES YOU ALREADY KNOW.

We do a bit of a game at the start of each lesson. She calls out a scale and I have to play it (apparently I was being too intellectual about the whole thing, learning them in the order of the circle of fifths, not really memorizing in each signature where the sharps/flats go, but rather inferring, thus I could only successfully play them in the circle of fifths order).

MY AOTW was that I passed all of the pieces I have been working on (with the exception of my challenge piece, Fur Elise). I managed to play the first part of Fur Elise very smoothly in my lesson thumb and can play at a VERY slow tempo the second section that leads back to the main theme.
I was really happy. We discussed the possibility of working on Satie's Gymnopedie ( heart) next.

#1780052 - 10/30/11 06:21 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
tranceponder Offline

Loc: California
This week I was able to sight read pretty decently (slowly but at a somewhat steady pace) songs out of the Celebration series book one. I've always been so horrible with sight reading two staffs at once but I've been getting better at it smile

#1780053 - 10/30/11 06:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: tranceponder]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: tranceponder
This week I was able to sight read pretty decently (slowly but at a somewhat steady pace) songs out of the Celebration series book one. I've always been so horrible with sight reading two staffs at once but I've been getting better at it smile

I'm jealous! That's something I don't see myself ever being able to do, even poorly. Congratulations! laugh

Edited by Sam Rose (10/30/11 06:26 PM)
♪ > $

#1780199 - 10/30/11 10:15 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: GlassLove]
bessel Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: GlassLove
blush That is the same feedback I get each week from my teacher too:

WORK HARDER ON THE ONES YOU ALREADY KNOW.

We do a bit of a game at the start of each lesson. She calls out a scale and I have to play it (apparently I was being too intellectual about the whole thing, learning them in the order of the circle of fifths, not really memorizing in each signature where the sharps/flats go, but rather inferring, thus I could only successfully play them in the circle of fifths order).

Interesting - my teacher insists on the COF order... and I might well mess up if asked in random. I suspect I could do them just a little slower than usual just knowing the whole-whole-half-w-w-w-h order... even just remembering the first two steps of that and the last one seems to get your pretty far, in the first 1/2 of the circle. smile

#1780335 - 10/31/11 05:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

My teacher has (more or less) had me learn them in order - clockwise and counter clockwise for sharps and flats smile

However when I show her what I've been practicing she calls them out at random and I have to play them.

I think that in terms of the notes, (not the fingering) I might have a tiny advantage in that I did play A LOT of scales in highschool - so I really do know which notes are in which scales without having to think about that too much.

Producing them on the piano is another story though....

#1780453 - 10/31/11 11:46 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Not a huge AOTW but those who know the story will understand: this weekend I came home to see family and I took the opportunity to make a quick recording of the piece that I will send to the recital. I am relieved smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1780462 - 10/31/11 12:04 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

That's great Carlos!

My piano is sadly in need of tuning, but I have to give it at least another week to get used to the new temperatures (the heat gets turned on in mid -Oct, so one more week should do it.)

I'm hoping I can get the tuner here in time to record for the recital, if not, I'll have to go with a digital version ...:( ah well, we'll see.

#1780467 - 10/31/11 12:10 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
CarlosCC Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
That's great Carlos!
(...) I'm hoping I can get the tuner here in time to record for the recital, if not, I'll have to go with a digital version ...:( ah well, we'll see.

I've noticed that this recital is giving headaches to some of us... smile

Youtube channel
Box.com MP3 records

Self-taught since 12/2009
Don't play what's there, play what's not there.

#1780498 - 10/31/11 01:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

ACK! I just realized that the recital opens TOMORROW!

#1780534 - 10/31/11 01:58 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Eglantine Offline

Having been murdering Bach in the privacy of my home for a couple of months now, I'll spare you all having to witness publicly this heinous crime.

Hope to join you all next time around, and good luck all!

#1780598 - 10/31/11 03:46 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: Eglantine]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Another "achievement:"

I just purchased a Zoom H4n, with the hope that it will do a better job recording my playing (especially the dynamics, which I don't feel are good enough in my current recordings). This recital thing should be fun. I'm excited!! laugh
♪ > $

#1781895 - 11/02/11 05:48 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]

Ever have a lesson where you think - wow.... I just learned a LOT.

I feel like I'm on a wee roll the past little while. smile Things are clicking - my teacher is pointing out adjustments I need to make in technique for issues that I've been oblivious to.... but now that she's drawn my attention to what I'm doing it feels like minor "tweaking" not the OH NO, WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO DO THAT TOO?????dismay I have experienced so often.

I know my steps are still baby steps, but I am enjoying this feeling of getting hold of ideas and physically managing things that have been beyond my reach until recently.

(I'm enjoying it while it lasts, who knows when I'll hit another plateau!!!!!?)

#1782026 - 11/02/11 09:02 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
bessel Offline

cas - that sounds fantastic! May your roll continue for a long time... smile

I find myself in a funny spot this week - I can't manage to record an error-free version of my sonatina, but I'm starting to work on a new sonatina and want to spend time on that (and Bach's minuet in G) rather than polish the first. Truthfully I think I'm just not at the point, skillwise, where I'm going to be error-free very often on that piece, and even less with the evil red dot on. I've got one take in the bag that is pretty good (for me), which I may end up going with so I can move on.

On the new stuff, though, I'm having a ball. Which makes it hard to work on scales. smile

#1782125 - 11/03/11 12:54 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: JimF
Farmgirl,

Your post reminded me of a discussion here on PW a while back about really listening to what we play. Someone wrote that what we "hear" is some mixture of what we think the piece sounds like, what we've heard in the recent past, and lastly the actual sounds we are producing. The point was that it takes a lot of effort to really listen to just the sounds we are actually making (or not making). We can go on for quite a while thinking we sound different than we actually do.

Maybe that was happening with you. Those melody lines were there in your head but you weren't really bringing them out in the playing because you were not really "hearing" that they were missing.

I know this happens to me. Sometimes when I record something I've worked on for many many repetitions I am amazed at what I hear, or don't hear, on the recording. I often think I should record more often just for this reason alone.

Jim, my apologies for not seeing this earlier. I agree with you that 'listening' is not so simple it sounds. Sometimes I am not hearing music when I thought I was intently listeing to it.

Edited by FarmGirl (11/03/11 12:56 AM)
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#1782130 - 11/03/11 01:05 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Sam, good for you. It takes a lot of courage. Don't you feel becoming stronger and better after the performance.

CAS, I am really happy for you. Sounds like you made tremendous progress!

No particular ATOW. I will try to record something this weekend. I had to clean my piano and the rest of the house last week. BIG MINUS is that my teacher is making me do another Christmas music this year... She said she specially selected at the music teacher's convention. She thought my name was written all over on it.. Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Okay, folks, I have nothing against Christmas. In fact, I am Catholic. When I was a kid, I was a proud camel in the nativity play for 3 consecutive years:) I just don't have time to do not-so-easy Christmas music. If you recall, she made me play a christmas song way into February last year (sigh)..
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum, Grillen and a few short pieces by various composers
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell and some duets

#1782135 - 11/03/11 01:13 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

FarmGirl,
I did feel almost like a different person after performing. I find my concentration vastly improved now, even when I play in front of other people.
As for you, how can your teacher "make you" do a song? Why don't you tell your teacher you want to do something different this year?
♪ > $

#1782145 - 11/03/11 01:39 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
I have a goal to learn 5 Christmas songs (hopefully by Thanksgiving!) I have learned 3 so far and have identified the 4th. The pieces are from Big Time Piano Christmas Faber & Faber Level 4. I am working on The First Noel, Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, Carol of the Bells, and O Holy Night. I haven't chosen my 5th piece yet.....I am leaning towards WInter Wonderland or Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1782150 - 11/03/11 02:04 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Michael Taylor Offline

Loc: Discovery Bay, California

The First Noel.

Edited by Michael Taylor (11/03/11 02:05 AM)
http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelt3032

#1782207 - 11/03/11 06:02 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
That was absolutely lovely Michael. Thank you for sharing it. I have that same collection and I am working on three of the same pieces you are (Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, O Holy Night, Carol of the Bells).

#1782330 - 11/03/11 11:47 AM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Very nice playing, Michael. Well done!

#1782411 - 11/03/11 02:24 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: FarmGirl]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
BIG MINUS is that my teacher is making me do another Christmas music this year... She said she specially selected at the music teacher's convention. She thought my name was written all over on it..
Arggh. NOOOOOO!

Quote:
When I was a kid, I was a proud camel in the nativity play for 3 consecutive years:)
laugh

Quote:
I just don't have time to do not-so-easy Christmas music. If you recall, she made me play a christmas song way into February last year (sigh)..
Maybe you could work really slowly on this one, and have it finished for Christmas 2012. That way she won't assign you another one next November.

#1782546 - 11/03/11 06:01 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: casinitaly]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Eglantine - Your Bach is probably way better than you think. Maybe you could skip the recital and post it in the pianobar?

Cheryl - Sounds like things are really coming together. I often feel like our teachers have so much they could tell us but they hold back waiting for the right moment when we are truly ready to hear something. You must encounter this in your teaching, where you have to focus on a sequence of tasks/skills, and jumping ahead would just confuse or demoralize the student. It must be difficult to sort out when someone is ready for a "next revelation."

Bessel - Just this week I had a discussion with my teacher about "finishing" pieces, something that I don't think I do very often. She said, referring to the first exposition of the Sarabande I was working on, "you could work another two or three weeks and bring it to a higher level, but it is 90% of the way there now. At this level those three weeks are better used working on something new. A year from now your technique will have improved to the point where if you picked this piece up again it would probably be trivial to bring it to performance level, so why waste the time now?" I know teachers will differ on this point, but I certainly see where she is coming from.

Farmgirl - maybe her choice this year won't be as complicated or long as last year's. In any event, if you choose to learn it you could always tell her that this year its "JAN. ONE, AND DONE." I'm going to revive last year's "Christmas Time is Here" by Vince Guaraldi because I like playing it so much, plus learn one more out of the same book "The Christmas Song" (a really jazzy Chestnuts Roasting....)

No real AOTW. We put the first iteration of Sarabande on the done pile. Working on HT for the second variation as well as the Scarlatti. SOW is Ab major. I am having inklings of the kind of hand independence I've dreamed of. Not there yet, but I'm beginning to think all this Baroque literature is having the desired effect. I can hear and feel both melodies as I am playing now, and playing a detached left hand counterpoint against a legato right hand seems quite natural. As Cheryl says, baby steps. grin

Estonia L190 #7284

#1782800 - 11/03/11 11:52 PM Re: Achievement of the week - what got you excited? [Re: JimF]
bessel Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF

Bessel - Just this week I had a discussion with my teacher about "finishing" pieces, something that I don't think I do very often. She said, referring to the first exposition of the Sarabande I was working on, "you could work another two or three weeks and bring it to a higher level, but it is 90% of the way there now. At this level those three weeks are better used working on something new. A year from now your technique will have improved to the point where if you picked this piece up again it would probably be trivial to bring it to performance level, so why waste the time now?" I know teachers will differ on this point, but I certainly see where she is coming from.

That's exactly how I'm feeling about it... and I believe - without having explicitly discussed it - that this is my teacher's opinion too, since he is moving me on to new pieces rather than polishing.

But now I have an AOTW - I got a take recorded that was good enough (for me) to submit to the recital, so I've done that. I may continue to try to get a better one in the next few days, but I hit the road for a long trip next week and so there's not many chances left...

Page 53 of 249 < 1 2 ... 51 52 53 54 55 ... 248 249 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
trill RH: the LH goes too fast
by Lorcar
53 minutes 48 seconds ago
Kawai's CS series are hard to find..
by vcsel
Today at 06:14 AM
Which Treble Mute works the Best?
by Paul678
Today at 04:39 AM
Blubbering and friction
by music32
Today at 03:22 AM
Merry Christmas!
by ZikO
Today at 03:05 AM
Forum Stats
77349 Members
42 Forums
159975 Topics
2349307 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission