2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1982994 11/05/12 12:34 PM
B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello- I'm new to this forum after lurking for a few weeks. I'm following the threads on a lot of DP's since I'm interesting in upgrading my present setup & really appreciate all the in depth info & opinions of the group members. Anyway, on to the point:

I had a chance to try out both the 330 & 350 at a local GC yesterday. The 350 was placed 1 foot over the 330 so direct comparisons were easy. As expected the 350 was superior in sample set, keyboard feel, almost every aspect exept one...... the sound!!!!!?!?!?

At this point I'm putting the blame on the internal amplification & speaker system. The 350 was really lacking in low end response. It was obvious in the pianos but really became obvious when trying out the basses. Also it wasn't very loud, even when turned all the way up. Luckily it was a relatively quiet area so I wasn't having to try to hear over the 13 year olds trying out the newest Marshall stack or the 14 year old budding Buddy Riches. It would get to a fairly loud level if playing at home but still not all that loud. I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten to audition both of them side by side & if they concur or (hopefully) refute my observation. I'm hoping maybe they just had a defective unit & the sound on the 350 is superior in all the areas, amplification included. I eagerly await your replies & thanks in advance

Ben

Originally Posted by BenWaB3
Hello- I'm new to this forum after lurking for a few weeks. I'm following the threads on a lot of DP's since I'm interesting in upgrading my present setup & really appreciate all the in depth info & opinions of the group members. Anyway, on to the point:

I had a chance to try out both the 330 & 350 at a local GC yesterday. The 350 was placed 1 foot over the 330 so direct comparisons were easy. As expected the 350 was superior in sample set, keyboard feel, almost every aspect exept one...... the sound!!!!!?!?!?
At this point I'm putting the blame on the internal amplification & speaker system. The 350 was really lacking in low end response. It was obvious in the pianos but really became obvious when trying out the basses. Also it wasn't very loud, even when turned all the way up. Luckily it was a relatively quiet area so I wasn't having to try to hear over the 13 year olds trying out the newest Marshall stack or the 14 year old budding Buddy Riches. It would get to a fairly loud level if playing at home but still not all that loud. I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten to audition both of them side by side & if they concur or (hopefully) refute my observation. I'm hoping maybe they just had a defective unit & the sound on the 350 is superior in all the areas, amplification included. I eagerly await your replies & thanks in advance

Ben

To be honest I haven't compared them side by side since I haven't found a place that had both in stock at the same time. It seems around here they want to sell out of the 330 before switching to the 350. But just so you can tell if you had a defective one I did stumble across a demo of one in a sales tore that was just on mic with the salesman talking and it wasn't like it was even very close to him or the board. I found them to be plenty loud enough for use at home. Go here http://www.pianocenter.com/videos/46350.wmv and see what you think. The salesman isn't obviously screaming but he certainly is projecting his voice and the piano holds its own. At certain times the mic gets close to him so you can tell he has a loud voice and the piano is quite loud enough for me. Also bare in mind I was told they were designed to be put against a wall on their stand for home use and the sound bounces back at you from the rear speakers, which this recording was done from the front.

Note the video opens in Window's Media Player. It is not a YouTube. I had to give my computer permission to play it.
I hope this helps.
BillTheSlink

Last edited by BillTheSlink; 11/05/12 01:55 PM.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the reply Bill. Yeah, the guy working at GC was just as surprised as I myself that they actually had both models. This area isn't exactly keyboard heaven as far as stores go (Lancaster, PA). I had gone in looking for the 350 plus the Korg Krome which they didn't have. The 330 was on its own stand & the 350 was about a foot above it on one of those wall racks, so it was sitting at an angle plus, as I recall, there is some sort of padded cloth material on the wall itself. That may have effected the overall sound. I had downloaded the manual last night to see if there was some internal volume setting in addition to the volume knob but found none. There is a song volume setting but I kind of doubt that would effect the overall volume. I'm at work now so will have to wait until this evening to look at the video. Thanks again.

Ben

V
V
The main speakers are on the back so if its shoved up against a padded wall its not surprising if the sound wasn't up to much.

B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
As I recall it was about 6" from the wall, the same as the 330. I can't remember for sure but think the padding was probably floor to ceiling so the 330 would be firing into it as well. Thanks.

Ben

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I don't know which way the speakers face on the PX-350, but they at least partially face forward on the PX-330.

@BenwaB3
Try YouTube and look up "pianomanchuck" he does a real good side by side of the 330/350 along with some videos showing all the voices, i'm curious since you had them both in front of you what your thoughts are on the keybed, especially the feel of the black keys on the 350 it seems to come up alot in these threads and im just wondering is it THAT noticeably different? Hoping to put my hands on one soon.
Thx, Duke

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi, at the moment I have the 350 and am playing it a little more than the PX-130 and Yamaha P-105 although I love all three.

It is important to note that some of the more mellow sounds are volume limited (mellow,dolce,classic). They still sound excellent but with headphones it is like as good or better than my favorite item of all time the SG Rack.

I really enjoy the touch of it as well. My only complaint is in another thread and others had the same issue and it is not a concern to most.

Sometimes I think my PX-130 might even be a little louder. Go figure. I'll be using that one as my road board.

Did you notice the spacing of the keys on the 350 when you played it? How was it.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the further replies. The action is, to me anyway, better than the 330. When checking out DP's I always turn the volume completely down & try some fast fingering on the keys. The 350 felt more solid than the 330, which some times felt a little too loose & light. It seemed that all the voices had a lower volume than the 330, plus the lack of bass response which probably contributes a lot to the impression of overall volume. I looked in the manual to see if there is a master eq setting but didn't see one (allthough I haven't gotten to read the manual in depth). I didn't notice anything about the black keys but I only had time to do a fairly quick tryout. I won't have time to get back to GC until next Sunday but will pay more attention to that. Thanks again.

Ben

B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Did just check out the video link from Bill's post & had seen the Pianoman Chuck video from Duke's reply last week. There is a big difference in the sound from the inernal speakers, which is to be expected, & the amplified sound from Pianoman Chuck's video. In the latter the 350 definitely sounds better. That's what makes me wonder if it was a defective unit at GC. I hope that's the case. It would be a real shame if they improved everything but then give you the end result of an inferior product because of the speakers & amplification. If anything it should be an improvement in that area also.

Ben

M
M
Originally Posted by BenWaB3
It would be a real shame if they improved everything but then give you the end result of an inferior product because of the speakers & amplification. If anything it should be an improvement in that area also.

The thing is for many of us the internal amplification is a minor issue at best. Mine will almost always be run either through external amplification or phones.

B
BenWaB3 Offline OP
OP Offline
B
The internal amplification is/isn't an issue for me. If I were to take it out as a 2nd keyboard for live performance it should hold its own a lot better. When you just want to play at home though there's nothing like the convenience of sitting down, hitting one on/off switch & you're ready to go. And at least 95% of its use would be at home for my situation. The next time I get to GC I'll take a pair of phones & compare the 350 w/ the 330 through them. Thanks for the reply.

Ben

O
O
Originally Posted by Possum P105
Hi, at the moment I have the 350 and am playing it a little more than the PX-130 and Yamaha P-105 although I love all three.

It is important to note that some of the more mellow sounds are volume limited (mellow,dolce,classic). They still sound excellent but with headphones it is like as good or better than my favorite item of all time the SG Rack.

I really enjoy the touch of it as well. My only complaint is in another thread and others had the same issue and it is not a concern to most.

Sometimes I think my PX-130 might even be a little louder. Go figure. I'll be using that one as my road board.

Did you notice the spacing of the keys on the 350 when you played it? How was it.

Hey! Regarding the action, how does the PX 350 actions feel compared to P105 GHS?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Ovidiu M
Hey! Regarding the action, how does the PX 350 actions feel compared to P105 GHS?

It's always subjective, but I think the PX350 feels a lot better than the GHS (or the 350's 330 predecessor). I actually think it feels better than anything else short of the $2k range... I like it better than any Yamaha until you get to the CP5. I'm not as convinced about the sound, though it does sound better than the 330.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
To me the PX 350 is one of the more unique actions I have played, of course highlighted by the material of the keys.

I might argue the P105 is a little lighter than the P95 previously. Sometimes it is a good thing; it almost seems you are getting more of a bounce back and not pushing as much.

Repetitive notes likely more realistic on the 350.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I'm really hoping for an update to the PX-3 at winter NAMM. I like my MOX8 a lot but it really is kind of a pain setting up in my studio only to remove it 2-3 days later for gig. And my PX-330 seems easier to transport and a little less bulky. I'm thinking I really would like to replace the PX-330 with something a little more gig friendly with better EP's as well as AP.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
B
B
I've just upgraded to the PX350 from a PX330.
I love both pianos but the 350 is a great upgrade.
I really like the Ivory feel and the general feel of the key bed.
I would have liked to have seen illuminated markers for the buttons because once again for a stage piano its ridiculous not being able to see the buttons or at least which ones are which ?
The sound for me isn't so good either through the on board speakers although the bass response is better it seems a little off ?
However I too tend to play it through an external Peavey KB60 and both pianos sound fab.
Good see Casio now have a USB port for loading/saving material via a pen and you can now use Wav backing tracks, just a pity they didn't adopt MP3 ?
Only unpacked it tonight but so far so good.

Always remember too for home use you can get some 2.1 computer speakers. When someone told me that I was like, "Yeah right...", but the other day I went to Best Buy and had the salesman show me some in the 50.00 range on sale. All I can say was I am shocked. I couldn't believe you could get that kind of sound for that price. The low end was rich and high end crisp. I think they were Logitchs but can't sware to that. Everyone he showed me sounded good even the real cheap set, but it was obvious the wires would break and the switch was cheesy.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
Ben, I'm pretty sure you have a defective unit. My own criticism of the 350 is that the sounds seem too loud and easily produce vibration and distortion on the unit. A choir I run has a PX-320 and the sound is far better balance - you really have to pound it before the internal speakers raise the white flag. On the 350, it doesn't take much at all.

That said, I bought mine mainly to use as a keybed with my Kronos 61, so that's not so much of an issue. And I agree with Scott's remarks about the keybed - you have to spend a serious amount of money (and accept a whack more weight) before it gets much better than this.

Live: Casio PX-5S | Hammond SK1
Studio: Yamaha CP4 | Hammond SK2 | Kurzweil PC361 | Moog Sub 37
My only "complaint", and it wouldn't be applicable to most people, is when attached to the matching stand it seems to be about an inch lower to the top of the keys than on other keyboards I looked at. Maybe it is more likely 3/4". Anyway with me being unusually large it wasn't as comfortable even on the low setting on the X-type bench. I refuse though to plan on putting the thing on some stage stand as that would look real goofy in my living room, even if the lady of the house were to agree to it (which isn't going to happen in a million years) and I certainly wouldn't put it on some rickety X stand to wobble as you play on either end or beat your legs on. Besides that in their wisdom Casio decided to sell the pedal unit made on a crossbar that goes on the stand, not a separate lyre. No doubt a cause to sell more stands to those who want the three pedal setup, but sneaky none the less.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission