2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 296 of 540 1 2 294 295 296 297 298 539 540
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
That sounds brilliant, Stubbie!!

Learner
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
good luck with the new teacher Stubbie, that sounds fantastic.

My ATOW was simply a decision to start interval exercises as of today. Why I haven't done so yet is a mystery, I guess I may have hoped it would develop naturally (although it has for easy intervals). So armed with a set of flashcards, a few minutes a day working at them should be enough.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hey eom--have you tried the exercises on musictheory.net ?
You can set it up at varying levels of difficulty depending on how much you want to think.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin
You can set it up at varying levels of difficulty depending on how much you want to think.

+1 to that... that website has done me a ton of good. Highly recommended.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E

thanks for the info, will certainly look into this website.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Amazing website, really helpful.

Many thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard about it.

thumb

Serious since Dec 2013. March 2014, Kawai CA95!

Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted

[Linked Image]
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Agreed, great website

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
For the first time I understood why people said "the piano sings" or this piano is singing beatifully. When my teacher played a tune on the grand I was confused and wondered when did someone start to sing only after like 2 seconds I heard that it was actually the piano that sang.This is my best musical experience so far.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Stubbie, that is great news! thumb I hope it all works out. Keep us posted.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Stubbie - Good luck with your teacher!

No major AOTW for me.
I decided to track all my practice sessions and the idea is to calculate the total playing time by month / year. I have created a sheet with all days of the year, and I have a stopwatch to use each time I sit down at the piano. At the end of the day, I write the total time played, on the sheet.

I use this system since middle October, and because I play with the rule "everytime I can", sometimes I'm surprised with the time I spend playing the piano...

If you want, you can download the file here: Piano Practice Time.pdf

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Carlos! That will go nicely with this nifty cumulative timer (which cost less when I bought mine... Amazon prices fluctuate). It's designed to cumulatively tally a child's reading time per day, but it's perfect for someone like me who practices over multiple shorter sessions per day.

(New year's resolution: to actually use it for piano! It rapidly got stolen away for other applications. Thus Carlos' time sheet to the rescue...)

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
W
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
W
@Stubbie good news!
@Carlos I stopped being an consultant recently so my time with timesheets is over smile It ought to be fun wink
@torquenale I'll probably get a Zoom as well but not an H4. I need something to do my first recording since the sound out of my videocamera is crap.

My achievements of the week are: Starting on the Wild Horse Rider from Schumann and improving the other two (Melody and Humming Song).

Edit: Although I started on the Wild Horse Rider I don't think I'll be able to play it in the correct tempo any time soon. Watched a couple of youtube video's which was a shock, wow, it's played FAST.

Last edited by wimpiano; 01/04/14 03:24 PM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tangleweeds
Thanks, Carlos! That will go nicely with this nifty cumulative timer (which cost less when I bought mine... Amazon prices fluctuate). It's designed to cumulatively tally a child's reading time per day, but it's perfect for someone like me who practices over multiple shorter sessions per day.

(New year's resolution: to actually use it for piano! It rapidly got stolen away for other applications. Thus Carlos' time sheet to the rescue...)

tangleweeds, if you have an android device you can install this Free Time Logger . It's free and works fine.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
So much achievement already this week.
Stubby I am happy for you. I changed teacher last year and it was the best thing I did. Good luck to you.

I'm writing this in an Indian restaurant on my way back from my Saturday noon lesson. Noon lesson makes me hungry. But it's nice she could stretch lesson time if we need to. Went over Bach prelude and Chopin nocturne fingerlings. I can play through both of them now with the books with hick ups here and there. She changed a couple of fingerlings but mostly agreed with my fingerlings. She had one suggestion on the dynamics but liked the way I emphasized some inner voices. Nocturne - she helped me fix awkward spots. Overall pretty good lesson. Earlier in the week I enjoyed Diabelli sonatine for four hands with my real life piano friend. I have never seen the score. I was happy that I was able to pull it through. It's not a difficult piece and I did not observe all the articulation but it made me feel so good. I couldn't have imagined this one year ago.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
A belated happy birthday to Farmgirl.

Week 95: I spend some time on review. I had a week off because of injury and a week off a month ago because of the funeral, so any progress is likely imagined. I listen to some of my old pieces. I revive a couple of them, fail at some others. Some are not worth reviving. I find too many pieces to squeeze into the 20% of time that I have allocated. It is distressing to pick, but some must be shelved.

I purchased and downloaded the sheet music for Colder Weather, a pop/country song by the Zac Brown band. I heard it on the TV show The Sing-Off. I make modest progress. I bought the guitar/vocal version because it was fewer pages (6 pages vs. 9 pages for the piano/vocal/guitar version). I don't like having so many pages, especially for a simple pop song. I am glad I did not try to sound it all out, because as I look at the melody line I would have taken a long time to get some of the notes. I find out that the band does it at an odd tuning, making it more difficult for folks trying to play it by ear. More likely, I would have worked on playing it by ear for a couple of weeks and given up in disgust.

As is usually the case, I want to do my own arrangement, so it is likely a long project. One reason I wanted the song is the title, Colder Weather. However, by the time I arrange it, learn it, polish it, it will almost certainly be spring.

I continue to polish up the instrumental that I was working on when my dad passed away. The title is Tracks in the Snow. My father had a December birthday. While the music doesn't have any direct story connection to him, the timing and the title gives some sense of connection. As always, it is hard to tell whether audiences will like it or not.

I have a Songmakers meeting in two more weeks. I plan on my originals: Tracks in the Snow, Wits End and Pachobel's Canon in D. If attendance is low, like it has been, I may need a couple of more pieces. It is a challenge to memorize so many. Between my nerves and my poor sight reading, the scores are not that useful to have during a live performance and sometimes make the nerves worse.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well I awoke in the midst of a "whiteout" this morning, unable to navigate the driveway not to mention getting off to church (9 miles away). I have just had a wonderful practice session with Sorrento, my domain on which to Focus. grin

I once again have this piece under my fingers smoothly with both hands although not to the tempo I had it before, which, BTW wasn't all that great.

The weather guessers are predicting 8-12" (already 6") total snowfall today so I expect to make more progress on this later, since I won't be leaving the house. eek

The sorting out of my "piling system" is next, I have far too much music out and strung about to tempt me away from my focus. I will say, it is beautiful outside but not tempted to go out into it for sure. I'm staying in my jammies `till noon at least laugh

I'm pleased with my AsOTW. My interview tomorrow is postponed until the roads are cleared, frown Worst storm here since 1983 so hoo nose how long that will take.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Happy New Year, everyone!

My AOTW is getting organized and building a piano roadmap for 2014. The FOYD thread has been so helpful, I decided to design a weekly practice sheet, to record goals and practice times for technical work, etudes, pieces with deadlines, repertoire to practice, and sight-reading. I have enough pieces on the go that it helps to have a guide to make my practice time more efficient. So far I am finding the worksheet very helpful to organize my time and improve my focus. Hopefully I am getting better at practicing!

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ragdoll
Well I awoke in the midst of a "whiteout" this morning, ...

The weather guessers are predicting 8-12" (already 6") total snowfall today so I expect to make more progress on this later, since I won't be leaving the house. eek

We're not getting too bad. Some snow. Right now it's 3 out. Supposed to go down today. Reach a low of about -14. Wind is blowing hard. Bad wind chills.

I have to admit. If I had a house. I'd have a portable generator. That getting caught with no power and below zero. It ain't swift.

Seen all the news about you people getting the worst storm since....

I'm guessing Alaska is still nice? They sent their weather down here. smile
Nice pics of the baby Moose, Ladypayne has on the Piano Bar.

EDIT: We just dipped below zero. It's 8:30am. Won't be back above till after noon tomorrow. We don't worry. It was 55 on Friday. Will see 55 again in a few days.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/05/14 11:33 AM.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
P
My weekly report. It's been an exciting week for me musically. Cracked the can can on the head and started working on chiapanecas which I really really like the sound of. A lot of my time this week though has been spent recording, first recording onto the Yamaha p105, then transferring to zoom r8, then transferring to laptop, then to smartphone then to soundcloud my username on soundcloud is 'Paul Hodges 2' don't know the url frown. I live near Cambridge, UK btw. Thanks for comments am trying to post video but don't Have broadband here in caravan haha.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Your Can Can was very lively paul1971 so well done. Co-incidentally it was a year ago this month I was struggling with this very piece (albeit a different version). I had a great year despite finding it tough so who knows where you will be this time next year.

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 296 of 540 1 2 294 295 296 297 298 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission