Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
97 registered (accordeur, angga888, antony, ando, anotherscott, 25 invisible), 1216 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1984425 - 11/09/12 12:03 AM Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E
Dennis Ng Offline

My piano miss has been playing this for years and it is D-D to her. I just note however that the book I have seems to say D-E! (see this scan of I think is same book I used here: http://easypiano.77forum.com/t97-mariage-d-amour-richard-clayderman) She kept on trying to find score that is D-D but cannot. I played using my iphone and she heard D-D. (I am a bit sound challenged :-) and hence I agreed, only because I am her student and she knew.)

Any one can help us to nail this would be much appreciated.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1984481 - 11/09/12 04:15 AM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: Dennis Ng]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Do you mean on the 2nd page where the time signature changes to 12/8 and it looks like you have marked something with arrows? In that case it is sort of "both". At that spot the music is moving along a Gm chord (G Bb D) and moving toward a Cm chord (C Eb G). At the end of that measure the melody notes slide rapidly up "D D Eb" to Eb. That last Eb anticipates the Eb of the Cm chord.

You should be careful to make a difference between E and Eb - This music has 3 flats so all the E's are "Eb" which is a half step lower and E, right in between D and E.

#1984795 - 11/09/12 09:31 PM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: keystring]
Dennis Ng Offline

Many thanks first.

I am walking the dog in country park and cannot read the scale. Given that I play this the last 18 month, I clarify based on my memory on my question.

May I claify first that my question is on page 1. It concerns the highest note of the whole song. The first D is kind of decoration note then move to the rightmost of the piano for that highest note. It is way up in the scale. (Btw, the left hand play a Gb/F#).

The issue - is that second note a D or Eb?

<edited as the score does not have the octave notation>

Edited by Dennis Ng (11/10/12 01:51 AM)

#1984812 - 11/09/12 10:11 PM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: Dennis Ng]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I'm having trouble seeing it, but if I'm seeing it right then it is Eb. But that doesn't make sense musically. The piece is in G minor and the chord before and after that spot is Gm. D7 is the V7 chord of G, and an Eb together with D7 would sound weird. Maybe there is a mistake in the score. I'd be inclined to trust your teacher.

By the way, I made a mistake in what I wrote earlier. Now I know how to expand the image to make the notes somewhat clearer.

#1984826 - 11/09/12 10:59 PM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: Dennis Ng]
PianoStudent88 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I think it's Eb. Highest Eb on the piano. It's the next space note above 6 leger lines. It may be a typo, and a D was meant. But what was printed looks clearly like Eb to me. I determined this by looking at the relation of this note relative to the fifth and sixth leger lines.

If it's an Eb, I note that F#-Eb between the LH and RH outlines the F#dim7 chord, an entirely respectable chord in the key of G minor. Taking F#-Eb together with the dotted quarter note D's under the first fermata, you have a D7(b9) chord, which seems like a reasonable extension even though only D7 is written as a chord name.

#1984832 - 11/09/12 11:37 PM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: Dennis Ng]
Wish4 Thing Offline

Loc: TX, USA
This is one of my favorite pieces too... but I can't play it, yet:) I have several copies of this sheet music, here is one of the versions I have: Mariage-dAmour . I have the Overture version of it, tried to move the note to Eb and listened to the MIDI, Eb doesn't sound right to me...

Here is the MIDI file with D-D

Hope this helps.

Unit 11 of Faber's Accelerated Lesson Book 2

Collections from Piano World for Adult Beginners

#1984864 - 11/10/12 01:52 AM Re: Richard ClMariage-dAmour Bar 6 the highest note is a D or E [Re: keystring]
Dennis Ng Offline

@keystring: What you said is exactly the argument put up with my music teacher. She got a master in music. (To be frank, I do not understand about this music theory thing.) Ok, I shifted to D then.

@PianoStudent88: that is in the score and hence I have to opt either it is typo or it is just right. I guess watching all the post, I just follow the "D-D" option.

Strange, it is one of the few popular one and you do not expect this discussion.

Thanks for all and your effort.

Edited by Dennis Ng (11/10/12 01:56 AM)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348947 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission