2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kayvee

... I don't think it's wise to tell people they shouldn't learn to sight-read (as in, prima vista) right away. . ...

I agree. It's not wise to tell people what they should not or should do. What we can do is tell them some of the things that reading entails, what kinds of skills a pianist is aiming for, what is used where. Then people will make intelligent decisions.

K
K
Originally Posted by keystring

... I don't think it's wise to tell people they shouldn't learn to sight-read (as in, prima vista) right away. . ...

I agree. It's not wise to tell people what they should not or should do. What we can do is tell them some of the things that reading entails, what kinds of skills a pianist is aiming for, what is used where. Then people will make intelligent decisions.
Dangerous assumption!! laugh

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.
Originally Posted by keystring

Dangerous assumption!! laugh

I'll reword that. It is more likely that people will make good decisions, if they have some knowledge about a matter, than if they have no knowledge about it. "Intelligent decisions" here means that the person has some information that he can weigh, and does weigh it.

This is an Internet forum. The ideal is consultation or working with an excellent teacher or knowledgeable musician one-on-one in person. That is not the reality here. In the least, then, the more information that the men and women in this forum have, the more likely they are to make intelligent decisions.

You are aware, of course, that I was agreeing with your statement that members should not be told what they should do. I added to your statement with the idea that must follow, that having information will allow them to decide what to do without being told what they should do. Most of the members of this forum appear to weigh information carefully. It's often said that PW members are not the "average" person, by the very fact that they do seek more knowledge.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Pick up a copy of 'Four Star Introductory Level' - that stuff is SO EASY EVEN SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T PLAY CAN DO IT. But it's still prima vista reading. And it helps. And it will make you one heck of a sight-reader.

I was not able to find this via Google search. What is it exactly?

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Thanks... onto the Wish List it goes!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Forgive my beginner's ignorance- but what is prima vista?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
From The Harvard Dictionary of Music (4th ed.):

Prima vista [It.]. At first sight, i.e., sight-reading.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
To expand on packa's response, prima vista sight reading means concurrently reading and playing written music which you've never seen before. When you've read and played the music before, reading it from is simply called reading music, not "sight reading".

That said, often "sight reading" is colloquially used to mean reading music while you play it, even if you've seen the music before. But that's not how the term "sight reading" is used in piano pedagogy literature, and it's generally not used that way that around here either.

But sometimes people will explicitly add "prima vista" when they say "sight reading", just to make sure that everyone is on the same page, so nobody is confused by thinking we're talking about "reading music" instad of (prima vista) "sight reading".

Did that clarify, or just confuse more?

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
"reading" can mean:

1)reading and playing without ever having seen the piece
2)reading and playing having seen the piece (the fingering and motions of the hands are memorized, but not necessarily the notes)

"prima-vista sight-reading" only means:

1)reading and playing without ever having seen the piece

Last edited by Bobpickle; 11/10/12 04:28 AM. Reason: zrtf's correction
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Sorry, Bobpickle, but that isn't quite right.

'Sight-reading', the phrase, is a contraction of 'first-sight reading'. The term makes no sense otherwise.

Prima vista sight reading literally means first sight sight reading, a nonsense phrase.

Playing from the score at first sight is sight reading, thereafter it is reading.

Richard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90

Playing from the score at first sight is sight reading, thereafter it is reading.

I agree. Sight-reading = prima vista. Practicing a piece in progress or performing a finished piece while still referring to the score is not sight-reading in the common usage of the term. Again, from The Harvard Dictionary of Music (4th ed.):

Sight-reading, sight-singing. The performing of a piece of music on seeing it for the first time. . . . Performing at sight on an instrument requires the ability to grasp the meaning of musical notation quickly and call upon the relevant technical skills for execution; this should be accompanied by the skills of the ear as well. The ability to perform efficiently at sight and the ability to give finished performances of distinction do not necessarily go together, and both should be among the goals of musical instruction.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What a good response tangleweeds and Bobpickle. I've had people say they sight read but don't really do so if they haven't seen the music before. Thanks for posting the distinction. I may have been guilty of this myself a couple or 6 times <blush>

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I can't see practicing a piece with each hand separately as anything but an intensive preparation method for undertaking technically difficult (for ones level) material. In that sense it is akin to writing in fingerings, playing isolated passages or figures repeatedly until mastered or spending lesson time breaking down a piece musically with ones teacher.

Doing these sorts of things once only, at speed, on pieces of music one after another being seen for the very first time seems a complete waste of effort. It would be like going to the gym and doing one bicep curl, one pushup, one stroke on the rowing machine and so forth and calling it a workout.

Current Life+Music Philosophy: Less Thinking, More Foot Tapping

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
N
N
One of the key skills in sight reading is integration (reading both staves simultaneously), and when you isolate the clefs you obviously eliminate that. In sight reading, the difficulty of reading both staves together is greater than the sum of each individually, if that makes any sense.

Follow my mixed gaming and musical ambitions through my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/NTMihaila

My cover of Inuyasha - Every Heart: https://youtu.be/-rFKbUoO7bM

Currently working on Fantasie Impromptu and Animenz's Owari no Sekai Kara.
HS practice is a wll known practice method and it is really helpful. but why not in sight reading practice because even some advanced pianist have sight reading problem but no one suggest HS practice?

As others have mentioned, working through a piece HS is sort of at odds with the meaning and purpose of sight reading. However, good beginners sight reading material will often be written with little HT going on to keep things simple. The ABRSM takes this approach, excluding HT altogether from grade 1 sight reading. Excerpt from their syllabus about grade 1:

“a four- or six-bar piece in 4/4, 3/4 or 2/4 in C, G or F majors, A or D minors, with each hand playing separately and in a five-finger position. Simple dynamics, note values, articulations and occasional accidentals (within minor keys only) may be encountered.”

Last edited by Evan R. Murphy; 11/13/12 09:48 AM.

SightReadingMastery – Master Sight Reading with Real Music
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission