Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >
Topic Options
#2053726 - 03/24/13 10:23 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
My new piano is being tuned this week, so I hope to start recording the easier of my two selections after that. With the first one out of the way, I can focus on getting my second selection up to speed!

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2056145 - 03/29/13 10:40 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Well, I’m done. Obviously my performance couldn’t resist a severe analysis, but I did my best.

Looking forward to listening to the recital, guys!

My website

#2056290 - 03/29/13 02:42 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Thanks for your submission Recaredo, and dont worry, doing your best is all that could ever be asked for anything!

looking good folks, looking good.

R.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2056297 - 03/29/13 02:53 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: LadyChen]
PianoStudent88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: LadyChen
My new piano is being tuned this week,

Tuning, oh rats! My piano isn't getting tuned until May. Between my lack of skill at voicing, the slow tempo which is all I can achieve, and the slight out-of-tuneness, my Song Without Words will be far less than stellar. Hopefully some of Mendelssohn's genius will still shine through.

#2056727 - 03/30/13 08:31 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
Mine`s in . . . I play it in a thousand different ways, it still sounds the same . . . Happy days!

""

#2058207 - 04/02/13 09:08 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Took a week off for Spring Break and now playing it again I'm noticing all the little details I missed in the first learn. No pedal here. Cresendo there. Slight retardando...BUT they are rarely perfect are they. I'll polish for a couple of weeks and record at the deadline.

Love to learn

#2058658 - 04/03/13 11:20 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Greener Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Done, In, Complete.

I am generally pleased of the state I have my pieces to now. The motivation to record forced me to get them further than I would have been likely to otherwise. Daniel Barenboim still has nothing to worry about, however smile .

Resting now and very much looking forward to the big show ...

Best of luck everyone

#2058682 - 04/03/13 12:15 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Can we not talk about Daniel Barenboim? I just listened to his rendition of the allegro vivace and it's soooo fast, it made me want to cry. I'm not listening to it anymore lol! :P

#2058744 - 04/03/13 02:01 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Barenboim's fast, all right, but I think some of them are so fast that they are bland!

Still working away on mine. It's getting closer. I have a staycation the week before it's due, which is comforting.

#2058771 - 04/03/13 03:16 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: LadyChen]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: LadyChen
Can we not talk about Daniel Barenboim? I just listened to his rendition of the allegro vivace and it's soooo fast, it made me want to cry. I'm not listening to it anymore lol! :P

Yes we can not talk about barenboim and especially not mention his debilitating amphetamine addiction that has gradually since age 17 spiralled way out of control. Coupled with his inability to read just two words of english and comprehend them.

My piece for instance,( opus 38 no 2 ) is entitled "lost happiness"

Baremfool read and understood this to mean " journey on an express train while drinking dexamphetamine "

It shows a lack of emotion in the piece and renders it not only uninteligable but shows a distorted and weird cavalier attitude to piano playing in general.

Someone needs to stand up and say Barenboim should be banned from playing the piano in public , every piece he plays he plays at ridiculous speeds, this does not show skill, it shows stupidity, and its not only me that doesnt like it.

In many cases his show off excess speed kills the piece, and to continually and consistantly keep killing pieces is not virtuoso at all, its actually rank.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2058839 - 04/03/13 05:31 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

"Someone needs to stand up and say Barenboim should be banned from playing the piano in public"

A tad harsh; He`s an Artistic Person. It`s expected these folk do weird and stupid things . . .where would we be without the Dylan Thomases, the Van Goghs, . . . Freddy Mercurys . . .damn, I wish I hadn`t started this . .

Edited by peterws (04/03/13 05:31 PM)

""

#2058851 - 04/03/13 06:02 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
Sam S Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
OK, I just sent my two pieces to Rostosky. Glad that's over with!

By the way, I agree about Barenboim's tempos - they are not musical...

Sam
Every ABF recital since #13 Feb '09!
ABF Recital Index
My Recital Performances

#2059006 - 04/04/13 02:55 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I just ordered a Zoom Q2HD and if I'm lucky I can make the recordings this weekend.

#2059171 - 04/04/13 09:46 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
timmyab Offline

Loc: Bristol, UK
I rather like Barenboim's Mendelssohn.His tempo for 38 no2 is on the fast side but not out of the ordinary.

#2059287 - 04/04/13 12:49 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: timmyab]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I got my music from his Youtube posting. And I think he`s too slow . . . .or I`m too fast. . . 38 4. Can`t fault him really. Now, what was he on?

""

#2059395 - 04/04/13 04:28 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I believe Art should be visual,( paintings sculptures etc)
I believe poetry should be about words.
I believe music, should primarily be about sound.

And it is that sound that we hear as an audience or a single person.
If our ears are hearing that sound and converting it into something our brain can understand and then our heart and soul can feel, and our ears/brain/heart/soul are screaming "slow down"
Then the music is failing to connect with us on a level we wish it to.

many folk find this with moonlight sonata, they want to hear it slower than most folk play it, I sincerly believe its because it says more slowed down some, this may not be "technically correct" but if it connects with the soul that way than surely thats what counts?

Barenboim does not seem to realise that expression beats tempo hands down when it comes to touching the soul. Music is not about who can play it the fastest, we could make machines to do that.

Anyways, I wont go on about it here bacause its not the right place and wayne will be miffed at me because he is exceptionally busy at the moment with a community action group, i dont know what the action is about yet but can only hope all will be revealed!!

what i will say is that as more and more submissions trickle in, one thing is becoming apparent:

The standards you guys are achieving are magnificent and truly inspiring.

#2059474 - 04/04/13 08:52 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Valencia Offline

Hi Everyone.

One of our members (LimeFriday) has injured her hand and will not be able to perform her pieces for the recital. She was signed up for 30/6 and 62/5. She asked me to let everyone know and is very disappointed and feels bad that she won't be able to participate.

V.

Edited by Valencia (04/04/13 08:56 PM)

#2059560 - 04/05/13 02:34 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Valencia]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Valencia
Hi Everyone.

One of our members (LimeFriday) has injured her hand and will not be able to perform her pieces for the recital. She was signed up for 30/6 and 62/5. She asked me to let everyone know and is very disappointed and feels bad that she won't be able to participate.

V.

I'm very sorry to hear that, and hope that she recovers soon.
I can take over 62/5 if nobody has objections to that.

#2059624 - 04/05/13 06:11 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Good post Rossy, I'll be taking your points into consideration. smile How you get your info is beyond me lol.

Sorry to hear about Limefriday frown

Ganddalf that would be great. We could then just sub the other piece with a YT video, if we can get the performers permission. Bk later folks smile

#2059631 - 04/05/13 06:49 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
- LimeFriday - hope your hand heals quickly.

I could have a crack at 30-6 as a backstop - I'll give it up anytime over the next couple of weeks to a PW member who isn't yet participating and would like to play it.

#2059649 - 04/05/13 07:49 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Sorry LimeFriday...hope you recover soon and return.

The tempo discussion is interesting. I've experimented with different tempos (wihin my limited ability to do that) and the music expresses itself differently with each change. My Mendelssohn (notice I'm getting possessive) needs slower but with bright spots because it is sad but not only about sadness but about life and ultimately a sense of peace and acceptance. Still...I like Berenbaum's version.

Love to learn

#2059690 - 04/05/13 09:05 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
That would be great Dire-tonic smile

#2059699 - 04/05/13 09:20 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
Good post Rossy, I'll be taking your points into consideration. smile How you get your info is beyond me lol.

Sometimes Wayne, I have to actually make the info up on the fly to strengthen my point of view and make it sound plausable.

Seriously though, I can play my ( possesive) piece as fast as Barenboim, but I will not be doing so for the themed recital.

This has led me to a dilemna; folk may say "Rossy, as well as being annoying and holding points of views about many things that appear off the wall ( untill they have been adequately explained by your good self) You are also now a liar and cannot play your piece as fast as the crystal meth man can"

So I will do two recordings one on a mixture of amphetamines and crystal meth to prove I can.

and a proper one that will go in the themed recital expressing emotion and feeling within the piece to connect with folk on an emotional and spiritual level.

Edited by Rostosky (04/05/13 09:22 AM)
Edit Reason: CONNECT WITH FOLK ON AN EMOTIOANL AND SPIRITUAL LEVEL;;;; "HOPEFULLY"

#2059718 - 04/05/13 09:40 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
With regards to tempo, I think that tempos since the 20th century have increased, so playing Mendelssohn a bit on the slower side is probably closer to how he envisioned it (of course, while still maintaining the essence of the tempo indications).

I have to agree on Rostosky's comments on Barenboim. He's hardly one I choose to listen to for anything but note accuracy and a modicum of dynamics. Not to belittle his accomplishments, it's just not an aesthetic I prefer to listen to.

My tempi will be quite a bit slower than his, and/or with a lot more rubato. Of course, when I signed up for this I had NOTHING on my calendar for April, and now I have a performance Monday and two mandatory auditions on either the 19th or 20th, and another on the 28th if I wish to be employed next year. Fun!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2059729 - 04/05/13 09:59 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
dire tonic Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: uk south
-ok, I'll understudy it but it's still there for LimeFriday's return if the hand gets back into action before the 21st or, alternatively, for a PW newcomer to take on.

(really looking forward to Rossy's crystal meth performance - hopefully with the occasional head-shot gleaming with sweat)

#2059808 - 04/05/13 12:20 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Ouch, LimeFriday! So sorry!
And Gandalf and Dire Tonic, you are both awesome for stepping up! I wish I could step in and learn something that quick. One day!

Rossy, I am eagerly anticipating the meth performance as well. Don't let me down!

#2059907 - 04/05/13 03:52 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Valencia]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Valencia
Hi Everyone.

V.

Anything less than a three finger amputation or severe frostbite whilst awaiting amputation does not get her excused.

For example, I have two bad knees that audibly "click" whilst pedaling and didnt choose a piece with no pedaling in it.

I have a bad cut on my thumb from a very sharp and dirty sink unit that had to be installed, my tetanus is out of date and I may get lockjaw at any moment. ( it wont shut me up though)

I have social phobia issues, indeed I am socially inept and prone to saying innapropriate things about the pope and other politicians.

I constantly mimic tourettes syndrome because my brain tells me its funny.

I chain smoke both at and away from the piano.

I dont pass wind in an orderly fashion, I allways try and force it out because I still find it funny after all these years, so it would appear I have maturity issues on top of lower back pain.

My posture sucks, after four or five hours on the piano, I need a strong and dangerous accomplice to straighten me up.

And the next door neighbours are directing bad reiki at me 24/7.

And yet I will be playing my piece.

Not that I am trying to make her feel guilty or anything.

#2060172 - 04/06/13 03:38 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: Rostosky]
peterws Offline
3000 Post Club Member

You are giving me some good ideas, Rostosky . . I`ll try `em out on HER...

Seriously. I think I `ve done mine too fast...Beremboam or whatever he`s called does it too slow. But it sounds good. I like his stuff.

""

#2060243 - 04/06/13 08:28 AM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I have just found out that mr Barembore is not entirely to blame.
He was given as a child what i have christened as a "demented metronome" its slowest speed is Presto instead of largo and it continues up the way to Prestoplus, Macpresto, Multopresto,
and tops out at Prestissimo, The spring inside it that allows this to happen was designed by Buster keaton,

And constructed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who showed up at the recent olympics poorly disguised ( But enough to convince the average USA CITIZEN) as Abraham lincoln. (ABE)

There is only one of these metronomes known to exist and Barembore owns it.

#2060352 - 04/06/13 12:43 PM Re: Themed recital - the BIG ONE! [Re: wayne33yrs]
Ganddalf Offline
500 Post Club Member

I got my new Zoom Q2HD yesterday and have made my first recording attempts.

This unit EATS batteries.
It allows an enormous number of user setting combinations, and finding the optimal one is not a trivial task.
The microphone seems to be more sensitive to squeeking from the chair than to the music.

OK, after playing around a bit I have found a combination of settings that seems to give decent recordings. But with four pieces to record I anticipate making 50 attempts and spending several packages with AA batteries before I'm satisfied with the result.

One issue I didn't think about beforehand is that it will be necessary to turn the sheet unless the piece is short or it is all memorised. One of my pieces is rather long, but since it is technically difficult I have memorised it. Two of them are short, and no leaf turning is necessary. But the remaining one is a problem. It seems that I have a memorising job to do before I can record it. And the coming two weeks are awfully busy....... Maybe photocopying is the solution.

Page 16 of 20 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (Atrys, ADWyatt, AZ_Astro, Almaviva, 35 invisible), 1291 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74198 Members
42 Forums
153490 Topics
2249183 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Premier Piano of New York
by FenderJazzMan
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
Top selling self-taught pianists?
by Sand Tiger
Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Just got my MP11!
by Dan Clark
Yesterday at 10:18 PM
Cracks in my soundboard??
by Markarian
Yesterday at 09:35 PM
OT Heartbleed
by doremi
Yesterday at 08:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission