Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1984981 - 11/10/12 09:52 AM Searching for motivation after bad lesson...
Jophiel Offline

Hi! So, I practised really hard and my teacher was in bad mood ( I think he is going through divorce). I didnt play very well that day and he criticized every detail and at the end of lesson he told me I played awfully today.
Well, Beethoven went really bad, but other pieces were quiet good, he didnt say a word about what I played well, just talking how awfull Beethoven was... It really wasnt constructive criticism.
He wasnt like this before, just last 2 lessons.

And result? I am totally demotivated, didnt practised much last week (I did about 4-6 hours a day), it really touched me, because he knows how I love piano and practise a lot.

Does anybody have similar experience?? How to get motivated again?

I really hope he wil be like before soon...

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1984995 - 11/10/12 10:38 AM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Jophiel]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Sorry to hear this. I think we've all had bad lessons from time to time. I've always found the "I'll show him next week!" attitude to be very motivational, but it sounds like your teacher is picking on you. I certainly don't see the value in cutting down a student at the very end of a lesson. I think you should stand up for yourself. If you think you're being treated unfairly, then say so....just do it near the end of the lesson, and do it very nicely. You could always switch teachers if things don't get better.

Hang in there. Don't let someone's foul attitude distract you from what you love.

dan

#1985075 - 11/10/12 03:25 PM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Jophiel]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
You could mention his divorce, and express sympathy for his difficult circumstances. You could also ask him if he needs a break for a few weeks. This might wake him up to what you are suddenly enduring from him.

Or you could just say, "Mr. Sousatzka, what I need from you is the constructive criticism I used to receive."

#1985131 - 11/10/12 06:57 PM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Tim Adrianson Offline
1000 Post Club Member

To me, Peter's advice is spot-on: if you know, or strongly suspect, what prompted the mood change, and you've worked with him long enough to notice an abrupt change in attitude, just simply ask: "What's wrong?", or even "What's REALLY wrong?"
I realize that this is risky; but, the way you put it, I think it's worthwhile to take that risk.

#1985228 - 11/11/12 03:23 AM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Jophiel]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Scrub round the divorce twitter ... take a good look in your mirror ... you're suffering from a practice-high (like drug induced) ... anybody who practises 4-6 hours a day needs medication to "ease up on the oars".

Get out and smell the roses ... some of us never so-called practice ... WE PLAY ... in exiting meaningful short bursts.

#1985283 - 11/11/12 09:15 AM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Tim Adrianson]
Jophiel Offline

Thank you for all your opinions. If next lesson will like the last 2 I will ask, whats wrong. Thank you!!! He was really nice before and already had similar mood change last year, but it was gone soon.

#1985285 - 11/11/12 09:20 AM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: btb]
Jophiel Offline

I dont think 4 hours are that much :-) I have a lot of pieces to work on...

#1985369 - 11/11/12 01:44 PM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Peter K. Mose]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose

Or you could just say, "Mr. Sousatzka, what I need from you is the constructive criticism I used to receive."

I like this, because it frames your view of the teacher in a positive way of what you liked about his teaching before, while mentioning something specific and practical.

#1985381 - 11/11/12 02:13 PM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: Jophiel]
kayvee Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara
Originally Posted By: Jophiel
I dont think 4 hours are that much :-) I have a lot of pieces to work on...

Originally Posted By: Jophiel
And result? I am totally demotivated, didnt practised much last week (I did about 4-6 hours a day), it really touched me, because he knows how I love piano and practise a lot.

Wait, I'm confused about one thing. You went from practicing X number of hours a day to 4-6 hours a day because you are demotivated?

Or did you mean you used to do 4-6 hours a day and now you do less?

Either way, follow what Peter said above.

Let's hope that changes. Taught piano for almost two years and currently working on:
"Going back to the basics..."

#1986215 - 11/13/12 02:43 PM Re: Searching for motivation after bad lesson... [Re: kayvee]
Jophiel Offline

I do 4-6 hours normally, when I was demotivated I did maybe 3 hours a week! :-D Sorry for my english.

BTW my lesson was good today, teacher was tired and sad, but gave me constructive critic like before!! :-)

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Rankings
by phantomFive
37 minutes 12 seconds ago
Casinitaly... No use...
by alfredo capurso
Today at 05:49 PM
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Böhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
Today at 03:18 PM
Who's Online
123 registered (accordeur, 36251, alfredo capurso, 40 invisible), 1226 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158476 Topics
2327360 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission