Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 129 of 196 < 1 2 ... 127 128 129 130 131 ... 195 196 >
Topic Options
#1458143 - 06/17/10 10:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
Cobra, there are a few more songs in the All In One book but they are just basically supplemental material and are pieces from other books, mainly a few blues pieces from the Jazz Rock Course. If you're not into that style you won't miss much. I do like playing them because I like the blues but they aren't essential to learning to play from this method. The All In One book also includes the theory that is presented in the Adult Theory Book 1 that can be purchased separately.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1458251 - 06/17/10 01:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Doug F -Thanks for that concise explanation of the differences between the regular Adult book and the AIO version. I bought my regular 1,2 & 3 Alfred books before I found this forum. Every once in a while, when I heard folks discussing "All Good People" or "The Stranger", I'd wonder what I was missing! I'm not a big jazz or blues fan at this point, but that may change with time. Good to know what I've missed!

Edited by Emissary52 (06/17/10 02:54 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1458286 - 06/17/10 02:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
Cobra1365 Offline

Originally Posted By: Doug F
Cobra, there are a few more songs in the All In One book but they are just basically supplemental material and are pieces from other books, mainly a few blues pieces from the Jazz Rock Course. If you're not into that style you won't miss much. I do like playing them because I like the blues but they aren't essential to learning to play from this method. The All In One book also includes the theory that is presented in the Adult Theory Book 1 that can be purchased separately.

Thanks Doug for explaining the difference...as luck woul dhave it, Blues is my primary interest once I can progress to that level. But, I DO have an Alfred's Blues book so I think I'll be OK.

#1458343 - 06/17/10 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Cobra1365]
asc Offline

Wow, I didn't realize there were two books either. smile I have been working my way through the basic book. Those that have the all-in-one....would you recommend the theory book?

Ann

#1458386 - 06/17/10 05:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: asc]
Emissary52 Offline

Ann - I would think that if you have some prior musical experience ...playing another instrument for any length of time, that it might render the Theory book(s) unnecessary.

I do wish that Alfred's would have thought of combining the AIO volumes 1,2 and 3 into a single spiral-bound edition. I don't know how many times I've had to bend back the fairly thin regular Adult Book 1 so it wouldn't flip a page at an inappropriate time! My language on such occasions, is somewhat less than "musical". mad blush
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1458416 - 06/17/10 06:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Emissary, my Alfred AIO book is spiral bound.

asc, I agree with what Emissary said about Theory. I've played other instruments and the basic theory in the AIO book #1 is nothing more than that. (Actually I'd classify the theory in the AIO book as very minimal.)

However, I did buy Alfred's Theory book. Link Here It is in 3 sections and comes with 2 cd's. It has some ear training in it. I've just completed the 1st section and it was a good review. I had to learn the bass staff when I started playing the piano and it was some help by keeping me working on what note was what. In my opinion, the 1st section corresponded nicely with book #1.

I would recommend this book to anyone without prior musical knowledge. If you already know the basics, you'll fly through the first section, but it'll be a good review. Those that have played a string instrument probably have a much better grasp on theory than I did playing a woodwind instrument. I didn't know anything about chords and such...but then again you could say I wasn't the best woodwind player out there. LOL

I really believe that the Alfred's All In One book still needs to be supplemented with a theory workbook. If you are just wanting to play for yourself for fun, then you can do without it...
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1458470 - 06/17/10 07:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Emissary52 Offline

GracieCat - For those that might be interested in purchasing the Theory Book, is it set up like the Greatest Hits book, where it recommends starting a section if you are on page 51 of the Adult Book 1 and page 80 if you have the AIO version? I suspect that on this forum, that about 25 or 30% of our members have the Adult Book 1 rather than the AIO 1. I certainly hope it's relevant to both versions for those folks who would benefit from it!

BTW, I noticed about a week after I bought all 3 volumes of the Adult Books from Amazon, the AIO series and its spiral binding! Oh the pain of it all!!

Edited by Emissary52 (06/17/10 08:00 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1458557 - 06/17/10 10:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
GracieCat Offline

Emissary, no the theory book isn't set up like the Greatest Hits is. Also, the book has an answer key in the back. The book would be relevant to either book.

If you're really wanting spiral binding you can take your book to an office supply store and they'll spiral bind it for you. I've seen other's mention it. Probably cost around $5-7...my guess.

#1458788 - 06/18/10 10:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I wish all music books had spiral bindings!! I did the same thing...purchased the 3 Alfred books and then found the All in One. Oh well.

Here is what I do for my books--I use two large binder clips on the pages. That holds the books open and then I stick the binder clips under the open area of my stand so they stay open.

Someone else told me to make a copy of the sheets I'm working on..since most of Alfred's are one or two pages, but I don't like to waste paper/ink resources...but it is an option.
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1459267 - 06/19/10 10:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
asc Offline

This is some great information on the theory book. Thanks! I had some piano lessons as a kid, but I don't know how much theory I actually learned. I just wanted to play, not do the pencil and paper stuff. smile

I can always tell when my air comes on in the house - that's when the pages start to flutter. Does anyone else try to keep playing, realizing you're half out of your seat and your head is in some odd position to keep from stopping until the song is over??

#1459800 - 06/20/10 12:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: asc]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
Yes!!.. I'm nearly finished the book now smile

Amazing Grace is almost complete!

Looking forward to moving to the Book 2 thread!!

#1459833 - 06/20/10 01:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: starbug]
Banjoman Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
I ended up with this book after all the local music stores didn't have the other books recommended to me on this forum and all the employees tried to sell me this one.

I have gotten to the point where it says I'm ready for the Alfreds Greatest Hits book so I got that. Love Me Tender went off pretty easy. I think I might put some piano tunes on youtube.

#1460187 - 06/21/10 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
Its been over a year since I posted on this thread .
I played in the May recital last year, after spending 3 months as a 'teach myself from books' adult beginner.

Then I had some poor health, then some family stuff, then my toddler was needing one on one play all day and didn't nap anymore. I had so much to do , that there was no time to play or practice. Sad but real life was just too busy and I had to organise my priorities so piano had to wait a while.

Toddler is now going to bed at a reasonable hour in the evening , so I have an hour for practice now.

I picked up Alfred last Friday and thank goodness could still play up to O Sole Mio, where I left off. I've learnt the Entertainer this weekend.I intend spending this week reviewing the book and will start Amazing Grace at the weekend.

I'm not sure whether to do the Greatest Hits level 1 book before starting book 2, or do it alongside the first review section of book 2.

#1460231 - 06/21/10 10:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
GustavoF Offline

Loc: France
My teacher has sent me to learn the Prelude on C major BWV 846 from Bach, so Alfred's is waiting until I get passed on this.

I hope wednesday will be the day as I am now able to play it thru wihtout mistakes, mostly...

Let's hope!

"The maze was so small that you got lost looking for it." by Terry Pratchett.

#1460272 - 06/21/10 11:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GustavoF]
GracieCat Offline

Ejay, you must have some good prior musical knowledge to move that fast. Good for you. If I were you, I'd just move on to book #2, and use the Greatest Hits book for supplemental practice.

Banjoman, I'd love to see some video's. I say put some up!

#1460288 - 06/21/10 12:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GustavoF]
Pianosaurus Rex Offline

Originally Posted By: GustavoF
My teacher has sent me to learn the Prelude on C major BWV 846 from Bach, so Alfred's is waiting until I get passed on this.

I hope wednesday will be the day as I am now able to play it thru wihtout mistakes, mostly...

Let's hope!

That's a lovely piece! I am just finishing that one up myself, I'm looking forward to letting my teacher her my progress on it tomorrow!

Student/apprentice technician

#1460306 - 06/21/10 01:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Ejay Offline

I think Amazing Grace may take a couple of weeks, then I will probably move on and alternate the greatest hits1 with the book2 pieces.

I learnt classical guitar to Grade5 level as a kid, and also play the hammered dulcimer, so I have a decent knowledge of music theory , scales and chord structure.

I was the kid who learnt guitar because the parents didn't want a piano in the house.. laugh I waited a long time to get a piano (even though it is a digital) so didn't let this delay in learning frustrate me, it was just another year postponing, not giving up.

I was relieved though to find my fingers remembered most of what they had learnt. I spent my first 8 weeks last year learning scales, chords inversions and arpeggios, before starting book 1, and think it was a worthwhile exercise. So I will be starting afresh with scales , but playing a third and tenth apart instead of just unison.

#1460308 - 06/21/10 01:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

I use two small clothes pegs on my music stand to hold books open. Although I much prefer scanning music or downloading PDFs into my music software on my laptop, and turning the page with a foot pedal, so much easier.

#1460547 - 06/21/10 08:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Originally Posted By: Ejay
Its been over a year since I posted on this thread .
I played in the May recital last year, after spending 3 months as a 'teach myself from books' adult beginner.

Then I had some poor health, then some family stuff, then my toddler was needing one on one play all day and didn't nap anymore. I had so much to do , that there was no time to play or practice. Sad but real life was just too busy and I had to organise my priorities so piano had to wait a while.

Toddler is now going to bed at a reasonable hour in the evening , so I have an hour for practice now.

I picked up Alfred last Friday and thank goodness could still play up to O Sole Mio, where I left off. I've learnt the Entertainer this weekend.I intend spending this week reviewing the book and will start Amazing Grace at the weekend.

I'm not sure whether to do the Greatest Hits level 1 book before starting book 2, or do it alongside the first review section of book 2.

Congratulations Ejay on finding your way back to the piano! Life does have a way of setting roadblocks in the way of our passion. I hope you are able to stay the course for a while.
CarlMc

#1460881 - 06/22/10 11:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Cobra1365 Offline

I use two small clothes pegs on my music stand to hold books open. Although I much prefer scanning music or downloading PDFs into my music software on my laptop, and turning the page with a foot pedal, so much easier.

What software/pedal do you use for this?

I made a stand to set my compute on jus above where a music book would normally go on the piano...makes using the computer much easier.

#1460886 - 06/22/10 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Cobra1365]
Ejay Offline

I'm a Christian Worship Leader (guitar, until good enough to alternate with piano lol), so use this software developed by a local company , Power Music and the foot pedal and laptop stand they also advertise.

http://www.cambronsoftware.co.uk/index.php

#1460995 - 06/22/10 02:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
Ejay Offline

Hiya Carl, thanks for the welcome back. Now you are just trying to confuse me, same avatar but different username. smile

#1461195 - 06/22/10 08:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Hiya Carl, thanks for the welcome back. Now you are just trying to confuse me, same avatar but different username. smile

Yep, tis me. smile

#1462069 - 06/23/10 11:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
Day Dreamer Offline

Hello. Can anyone please tell me what are the differences between

"Alfred All-In-One Adult Piano Course(Theory, Lessons, Technic)" and "Alfred Basic Adult Piano Course Lessons"?

Am I missing anything in the Alfred Basic Adult Piano Course (which I currently own)?

Thanks

#1462094 - 06/24/10 12:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Day Dreamer]
Emissary52 Offline

Day Dreamer - The Alfred's AIO Adult Piano Course books have a bit more of theory and a couple more songs than the Basic Adult books, but other than that it's basically (no pun intended!) the same ...Except the AIO book has a convenient spiral binding! You should be O.K. with what you have DD! grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1462127 - 06/24/10 01:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Day Dreamer Offline

Thanks Emissary,

I was wondering about the "Technic" in the title laugh

#1462135 - 06/24/10 01:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Day Dreamer]
Emissary52 Offline

The new "chic" for technique...perhaps! Nothing on disassembling pianos, tho' digital or otherwise, if "Technic" ...was missing "al". grin

Edited by Emissary52 (06/24/10 01:59 AM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1462163 - 06/24/10 04:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Day Dreamer]
Ejay Offline

laugh Perhaps Technic is for those of us playing on digital pianos instead of acoustic ? wink

Well I can now play the pieces up to , and including, The Entertainer, without opening the book.

There is one measure in The Entertainer ,that I sometimes still need to isolate and play a few times before going back to the piece, but its at tempo now and I have it memorized, so going to start Amazing Grace today.

Edited by Ejay (06/24/10 04:05 AM)

#1463035 - 06/25/10 06:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Ejay Offline

I have now memorized Amazing grace and its nearly at tempo. thumb It is a lot easier than it looks.

So book two will take its place on the music stand tomorrow. I will keep reviewing The Entertainer and Amazing Grace for a few weeks though.

#1463706 - 06/27/10 03:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Day Dreamer Offline

Hello. I am 25 and a completely beginner. I got Alfred basic piano course book 1 last week. I'm walking through the book and currently at page 50. I can say that I'm disappointed with the music. It's too childish and over-simplified. Practicing songs in the book got me bored lately.

So may I know how long more I need to practice until I can start working Marriage D' Amour (Richard Clayderman) ?

Your advices are appreciated

Page 129 of 196 < 1 2 ... 127 128 129 130 131 ... 195 196 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
132 registered (anotherscott, AmateurBob, Abby Pianoman, ABC Vermonter, Acevle, 36 invisible), 1675 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156313 Topics
2295734 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
Transcribing Music
by Tigero
07/31/14 05:31 PM
Yamaha P-105 or the Casio PRIVIA px-135?
by Acevle
07/31/14 05:30 PM
Another reason to love the MP11
by Markarian
07/31/14 03:57 PM
Digital Piano for a Musical
by well23
07/31/14 03:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission