2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 9 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jophiel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi! So, I practised really hard and my teacher was in bad mood ( I think he is going through divorce). I didnt play very well that day and he criticized every detail and at the end of lesson he told me I played awfully today.
Well, Beethoven went really bad, but other pieces were quiet good, he didnt say a word about what I played well, just talking how awfull Beethoven was... It really wasnt constructive criticism.
He wasnt like this before, just last 2 lessons.

And result? I am totally demotivated, didnt practised much last week (I did about 4-6 hours a day), it really touched me, because he knows how I love piano and practise a lot.

Does anybody have similar experience?? How to get motivated again?

I really hope he wil be like before soon...

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Sorry to hear this. I think we've all had bad lessons from time to time. I've always found the "I'll show him next week!" attitude to be very motivational, but it sounds like your teacher is picking on you. I certainly don't see the value in cutting down a student at the very end of a lesson. I think you should stand up for yourself. If you think you're being treated unfairly, then say so....just do it near the end of the lesson, and do it very nicely. You could always switch teachers if things don't get better.

Hang in there. Don't let someone's foul attitude distract you from what you love.

dan

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
You could mention his divorce, and express sympathy for his difficult circumstances. You could also ask him if he needs a break for a few weeks. This might wake him up to what you are suddenly enduring from him.

Or you could just say, "Mr. Sousatzka, what I need from you is the constructive criticism I used to receive."

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
To me, Peter's advice is spot-on: if you know, or strongly suspect, what prompted the mood change, and you've worked with him long enough to notice an abrupt change in attitude, just simply ask: "What's wrong?", or even "What's REALLY wrong?"
I realize that this is risky; but, the way you put it, I think it's worthwhile to take that risk.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Scrub round the divorce twitter ... take a good look in your mirror ... you're suffering from a practice-high (like drug induced) ... anybody who practises 4-6 hours a day needs medication to "ease up on the oars".

Get out and smell the roses ... some of us never so-called practice ... WE PLAY ... in exiting meaningful short bursts.

J
Jophiel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thank you for all your opinions. If next lesson will like the last 2 I will ask, whats wrong. Thank you!!! He was really nice before and already had similar mood change last year, but it was gone soon.

J
Jophiel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I dont think 4 hours are that much :-) I have a lot of pieces to work on...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose

Or you could just say, "Mr. Sousatzka, what I need from you is the constructive criticism I used to receive."

I like this, because it frames your view of the teacher in a positive way of what you liked about his teaching before, while mentioning something specific and practical.

K
K
Originally Posted by Jophiel
I dont think 4 hours are that much :-) I have a lot of pieces to work on...

Originally Posted by Jophiel
And result? I am totally demotivated, didnt practised much last week (I did about 4-6 hours a day), it really touched me, because he knows how I love piano and practise a lot.

Wait, I'm confused about one thing. You went from practicing X number of hours a day to 4-6 hours a day because you are demotivated?

Or did you mean you used to do 4-6 hours a day and now you do less?

Either way, follow what Peter said above.

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.
J
Jophiel Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I do 4-6 hours normally, when I was demotivated I did maybe 3 hours a week! :-D Sorry for my english.

BTW my lesson was good today, teacher was tired and sad, but gave me constructive critic like before!! :-)

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission