2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thank you for your suggestions and opinions on this issue. Perhaps I'm making too big of a deal about it but here goes anyway:

I have 2 recitals per year for my students. Our venue is our local piano store which has a magnificent piano on their stage in the recital hall and plenty of seating.
It's a perfect venue. No other place locally for me, this is it.
Until recently, the piano store has offered their recital hall to teachers free of charge. Now the fee is $150 per event.
As a teacher, do I:
1.absorb the cost myself, don't pass it along to students (tax deduction/business expense)
2. charge all students a fee per recital

3. ask for donations at the door or sell tickets (I don't like this idea really)
4. charge recital fee for students who plan to participate in the recital
5. any other suggestions

Thanks

typically 25 students play in a recital

Last edited by Barb860; 11/10/12 06:33 PM.

Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, Barb, do you charge your students an "activities" fee at the beginning of the year (or registration, or whatever name?)

This works out to roughly $6/student, but then, there are other costs, such as printing programs, running to and fro to get supplies together, set up, etc., etc.

Slightly tangentially, does the store charge all users the same fee? That is, if a student wanted to give a recital, they'd be charged $150? Or some area musicians wanted to give a concert? If the answer is yes, then I'd also negotiate with the store manager/owner for a preferred teacher rate, perhaps $75 or $100, as you're purchasing music and supplies there all year long. A quid pro quo has to work both ways, not one way. When our local jobber eliminated teacher discounts, they suddenly discovered a huge drop in business. After reinstating the discount, they only recovered part of what they lost. Teachers discovered that music was still cheaper on line and delivered faster.

I would tactfully point out that you "love" supporting local businesses, but it has to be a two-way street, ie, they support you as well.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
R
R
My daughter's piano teacher suggests a $20 donation per student to cover costs for each recital. I think its perfectly reasonable, unless you charge an activities fee as John asked above.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I pay $40 for each piano recital (2x's a year). I thought it was very reasonable. I don't think parents would have a problem with a recital fee.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I don't like the idea of charging parents a separate recital fee. They pay tuition, they pay music fees, festival fees, Guild, CM, etc... I've heard too many parents complain about how their kid's dance school sells tickets to recitals ($5 and up pp), costumes ($70 on up), etc....

I figure a fee (roughly $3 or so per student) that I include as part of the yearly enrollment fee parents pay each year. We do 2 recitals each year. So far it covers my expenses and parents are happy not to have to shell out more for yet one more thing.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Is there somewhere else you can take your recitals? $150 per event is such a rip-off. My branch charges $100 whole day and $50 half day. Recitals are definitely half day.

If you have nowhere else to turn, then I would charge everyone participating a recital fee. Don't absorb it as a business expense.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
So, Barb, do you charge your students an "activities" fee at the beginning of the year (or registration, or whatever name?)

This works out to roughly $6/student, but then, there are other costs, such as printing programs, running to and fro to get supplies together, set up, etc., etc.

Slightly tangentially, does the store charge all users the same fee? That is, if a student wanted to give a recital, they'd be charged $150? Or some area musicians wanted to give a concert? If the answer is yes, then I'd also negotiate with the store manager/owner for a preferred teacher rate, perhaps $75 or $100, as you're purchasing music and supplies there all year long. A quid pro quo has to work both ways, not one way. When our local jobber eliminated teacher discounts, they suddenly discovered a huge drop in business. After reinstating the discount, they only recovered part of what they lost. Teachers discovered that music was still cheaper on line and delivered faster.

I would tactfully point out that you "love" supporting local businesses, but it has to be a two-way street, ie, they support you as well.

John, no, I don't charge an activities fee but after reading these posts so far and thinking further, I am considering that.
To clarify: the store that has the recital hall is a piano store, not a full-service music store. They sell and rent pianos, that's it. I have been told that the fee is a one-size-fits all, so even a student would pay this. If someone buys a piano from the store, the fee is waived. So far none of my students have purchased a piano from them but of course this is a possibility.

Piano Teacher
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Barb, a minority point of view: just pay the fee yourself. It's not a lot of money, especially given how many students you have. You were lucky getting the place for free in the past. And it has a magnificent piano!

This is just part of the cost of being a professional piano teacher, while it also brings you some community visibility.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I budget $200 per year for recitals (and include that in my registration fee) One year I did have a recital fee when I hadn't had to pay anything, but as I grew larger I did. After that first year, I just included the recital fee in their registration.

Most dance recitals charge a recital fee AND sell tickets at the door, so you aren't out-of-line by asking for the fee.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
B
B
I definitely don't think you should pay for it yourself. The registration fee idea is a good one because it's one hit at the start of the year, and it means the cost is absorbed by all of your students, not just the ones who want to participate in the recitals, which lowers it for everyone.

I don't think $150 is too outlandish for the rental of the space - if you have 25 students playing that's only $6 each which is quite low for the experience you are providing, and the music store gets some business, so I see it as win-win.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
If you have not charge the activities fees for this year, you can charge a fee for recital and call it recital fee. My recital fee is equal to one lesson, I used the money to rent the recital hall, print program, order trophies, prepare some incentive for some outstanding students, renting chair, hiring photographer/videographer ......To be serious, after all of these expanses, I have almost nothing left from the fees that I collect. I hope parents realize that I am not earning money from doing recital.....(PS: I do earn money when I teach regular lesson, but not recital)

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
This thread has got me thinking about that. We have our own recital space in our studio now, but we do not own enough chairs for an audience so we will have to rent them. Should we charge a recital fee? Perhaps it's too late to even ask for something since the recital is at the end of Nov. What do you think?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think it's niggling to suddenly charge students for chair rentals. If they knew that was what was going on, I'm sure they would rather bring pillows and save the few bucks you ding them.

Maybe there's a church you can borrow chairs from gratis, or a kindly neighbor who plays canasta in her living room.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
You can also pay for some foods and drinks if you want to...

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
M
M
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I think it's niggling to suddenly charge students for chair rentals. If they knew that was what was going on, I'm sure they would rather bring pillows and save the few bucks you ding them.

Maybe there's a church you can borrow chairs from gratis, or a kindly neighbor who plays canasta in her living room.

Those are some good ideas. So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene
So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

Morodiene, my objection is to both, but that's me and my minority view on that matter. Charging for your spring recital would seem better than doing it now, because there would be reasonable advance notice. If I were you, I'd actually hold off on this fee until the fall of 2013, since most people view piano study on an academic year basis and this year is already underway. If your teaching is year-round, then implementing a fee this coming spring would be fine in my book.

But in the bigger picture as a piano teacher, I don't want to look cheap. Many years ago I was auditioning for a prominent piano teacher in California. In her elegant living room studio. She was having a little master class right afterwards on Schumann, and wanted me to stick around for it and meet some of her students. But then when the doorbell rang she suddenly asked me to please vacate the chair I had been invited to sit in, and move to one of the few metal folding chairs set up in back instead. The upholdstered chairs, she explained, were for her paying customers, and I had not paid her for my audition.

Of all the goofy things we remember.....!

M
M
Originally Posted by Morodiene
So is your objection more about charging "suddenly" or charging at all? For the Spring Recital, for example, if we charged would that be OK with the advance notice?

Morodiene, my objection is to both, but that's me and my minority view on that matter. Charging for your spring recital would seem better than doing it now, because there would be reasonable advance notice. If I were you, I'd actually hold off on this fee until the fall of 2013, since most people view piano study on an academic year basis and this year is already underway. If your teaching is year-round, then implementing a fee this coming spring would be fine in my book.

But in the bigger picture as a piano teacher, I don't want to look cheap. Many years ago I was auditioning for a prominent piano teacher in California. In her elegant living room studio. She was having a little master class right afterwards on Schumann, and wanted me to stick around for it and meet some of her students. But then when the doorbell rang she suddenly asked me to please vacate the chair I had been invited to sit in, and move to one of the few metal folding chairs set up in back instead. The upholdstered chairs, she explained, were for her paying customers, and I had not paid her for my audition.

Of all the goofy things we remember.....!

Wow, that is just rude. In our policy it's very clear that tuition covers the cost for lessons only - not accompanying, not recitals, etc. But I will try to ask my church if I can borrow some chairs. I'm also keeping an eye out on craigslist for cheap folding chairs for sale, since we will be needing them in the future.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I personally wouldn't charge for student recitals held in my studio but the chair issue is interesting. I began collecting folding chairs from Costco, until I had enough to seat all my students. Consider getting a dozen now, having students sit on the floor or pillows, and adding another dozen chairs in the spring. BTW, I notice you have quite a few Costco warehouses nearby.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Yesterday I asked one of my adult students about this concept of a teacher instituting a recital fee to cover costs. She thought for a moment and then chuckled: she said she didn't think piano students would want to willingly pay extra money to do something that is so nerve-wracking as play in a recital!

That's another amusing angle.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 11/18/12 01:15 AM.
Yesterday I asked one of my adult students about this concept of a teacher instituting a recital fee to cover costs. She thought for a moment and then chuckled: she said she didn't think piano students would want to willingly pay extra money to do something that is so nerve-wracking as play in a recital!

How about the students who look forward to recitals?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission