Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1985144 - 11/10/12 08:28 PM Roland pianos touch sensitivity
DinaP Offline

So I am exploring the world of Roland digital pianos and there are two types of Touch Sensitivity adjustments

One has 5 levels, as does my current Kawai

The other has variables from 1 to 100 -- and I am wondering if any Roland users could comment on this -- is that much variation too much of a good thing?? Or, how have you found it to be useful.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1985149 - 11/10/12 08:39 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: DinaP]
LizAnne Offline

I have a Roland RP301, so the five levels. It's an inexpensive entry level piano. I love my piano dearly and I spent absolutely the most I was willing to spend at the time, not being sure I would stick with it. But, in retrospect, I would upgrade.

I'm not sure about the touch sensitivity, as I am a beginner. I don't know how much of the problem is the machine and how much is my fingers. smile So I can't help you with that.

But I did feel compelled to answer, to mention another thing: SPEAKERS. I only play mine with headphones on. The sound through headphones is SO much better than out loud. I don't know if it's possible to expand on the sound by getting external speakers or something, but the ones built in my Roland model are clearly insufficient. It'll do, but I've had it less than a year and I'm already thinking "it'll do."

Maybe you have already considered this, but do pay good attention to the sound before you buy, compare the sound with and without headphones, and compare to other digitals, with attention to speaker quality.

I don't mean to grumble though. I do love my toy!

#1985153 - 11/10/12 08:46 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: DinaP]
DinaP Offline

Thanks, LizAnne -- in the price range I am upgrading to the speaker systems are really good -- I am glad you are enjoying your instrument -- we all have to start somewhere and really the starting instrument taught me that I wanted to continue, my physical limitations, and therefore what else I might be looking for in a new digital. Still, I and my friend just can't imagine what one would do with literally 100 possible options for sensitivity -- I've always gotten such good info here it seemed like a good place to ask.

#1985361 - 11/11/12 01:12 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: DinaP]
PaperClip Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Amsterdam, Holland
Hi,

I use the Roland RD700NX with 100 variable sensitive adjustments. But the only button I use is the on/off switch, heh. grin

The DP is without speakers, so I could choose my own monitors. I like very much the key touch and the superal natural sound. Besides that I don't need anything more. Maybe for a pro, performing on stage, it will be different.

There are so many parameters to adjust. I guess one wants the sensitive paramater to adjust as precise as one could do with the other parameters. It doens't make sense to have 100 levels for velocity, but only 5 for sensitivity. Do you need it for playing piano and to have fun? No, I guess not.

I just want to play piano and I'm more worried about my own techique than the technique of the DP. wink

Playing since May 02 2009

#1985449 - 11/11/12 05:29 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: LizAnne]
spanishbuddha Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: LizAnne

But I did feel compelled to answer, to mention another thing: SPEAKERS. I only play mine with headphones on. The sound through headphones is SO much better than out loud.

This is staying OT, but my experience is that my playing (as well as the sound) ALWAYS sounds better with headphones than that generated into a room via speakers.

Some of this IS due to the sound and clarity, but there's something else going on that maybe sound engineer can explain.

My main point though is that if practising with a DP, whenever possible don't use headphones, or else you will never get used to controlling the dynamics, and harmonics (legato and sustain) generated by a DP and a piano live in a room.

#1985485 - 11/11/12 07:21 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: DinaP]
BeccaBb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Thunder Bay, On Canada
My Roland (rd300nx) has the five settings for touch and then fine adjustments for the key touch offset with -10 to +9 range. The most I've used is the 5 settings though. The velocity range however is from 1 to 127 I believe.

I rarely every play with my settings though. Maybe once I get more experienced.

Floundering and Lost
Roland RD300NX

#1985537 - 11/11/12 09:39 PM Re: Roland pianos touch sensitivity [Re: DinaP]
DinaP Offline

Thanks, Becca -- I'll look more closely at those other settings you spoke of next time I peruse the manuals

See, my problem is I have FMS and so I needed to play with the Kawai settings and right now I use LE1, which is one setting lighter than normal. I have a friend who just comes down for the winter and she has been a musician and teacher for many years and comes over to play for me -- her touch is quite heavy, so we set the piano for Kawai's HE1, which is one setting heavier than normal and it made a big difference in sound and control.

So I have really benefitted from being able to adjust the touch -- and I was hoping there was a Roland user or two out there who could comment on how useful the pretty much infinite settings from 1 to 100 were to help me narrow down a final choice after I get some prices from my dealer.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pain in hands while playing piano - looking for advice!
by Justin_B
09/20/14 10:15 AM
Buying a piano
by tim1889
09/20/14 09:45 AM
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
Who's Online
134 registered (36251, accordeur, ando, AmateurBob, 44 invisible), 1419 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157640 Topics
2315506 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission