2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 119 of 452 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 451 452
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by angelojf
I am hereby promoting myself to Book2. Thanks to all on this thread!!!!!
See ya over at the Second Book Thread.....
Here is my "Amazing Grace"
http://www.box.net/shared/ysqmzrul60

Thanks again to all on this thread!!!!

I hope you don't mind, but I added your piece to the opening post...

Mark

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...

Mark

I don't mind at all....I'm honored ! ! !
A special thanks to you, Mark, for making available two great tools for me: the Alfred's Thread, and the MOYD thread!

-angelojf

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark...

Mark

I don't mind at all....I'm honored ! ! !
A special thanks to you, Mark, for making available two great tools for me: the Alfred's Thread, and the MOYD thread!

-angelojf

You are quite welcome!

The Alfred threads just kind of took off with all the great people here, I didn't do much...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've got Cafe Vienna to the level where I can play it for my teacher without undue shame, and same goes for Lullaby, too! I thought I wouldn't make it with Lullaby, but now it's my favorite piece! (haha, where has 'Blow the Man Down' gone? I'm so fickle! grin). I'm glad to play my first classical piece, ever! laugh I played it really soft and it sounded nice..to my ears. Now all I need is to show my teacher and I just know..there's probably something I wasn't doing right there! XD

Last edited by marimorimo; 06/09/09 09:33 AM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Marimorimo!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Well done Marimorimo!

I also am right about the same place in the book, working on Cafe Vienna and Lullabye. I finished up with BTMD last week. It's nice to play Lullabye even though I still have a ways to go, it being so pretty and recognizable.

I'm not working with a teacher, and I choose to put my son's practice time ahead of mine every day, so my piano practicing is low man on the totem pole each day! But I am loving it!

On a related note, our new piano arrives on Thursday... I can't wait! My son and I ended up selecting a Young Chang YP157 baby grand. It's pretty small, but it's the Platinum class YC, and sounded beautiful at the dealer. It had been on the floor for a while, so we got a really good deal I think. Can't wait to play it and hear my son play it.

Cheers to all --

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good for you as well Zenobe. You are probably getting more practice time in than I am lately...

Kenny A. Chaffin
I have been lurking for quite a while, mostly because I hit a stone wall with Chiapenacas and my piano time kind of dwindled to nothing. I'm back at it now and have practiced that song about eight million times and it seems I am actually getting worse.

Has anybody else had that experience with Chiapenacas or any other piece? I'm very discouraged. I can play either hand like a pro but my brain explodes when I try to put them together.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dukeofhesse
I have been lurking for quite a while, mostly because I hit a stone wall with Chiapenacas and my piano time kind of dwindled to nothing. I'm back at it now and have practiced that song about eight million times and it seems I am actually getting worse.

Has anybody else had that experience with Chiapenacas or any other piece? I'm very discouraged. I can play either hand like a pro but my brain explodes when I try to put them together.

You might need that surgery where they slice your brain down the middle and separate the halves. smile smile smile

Kenny A. Chaffin

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dukeofhesse

There is pretty good material beyond "Chiapanecas". FWIW...I did get a ok recording for my file, but tried to play this yesterday and pretty well stumbled all the way through it. It definitely is not worth brain surgery. May be time to move on to something more pleasant?
I started Scarborough Affair this past weekend and I am enjoying this one quite well. There are some tricky finger shifts but the harmonies are different and fun to play.

My brain is apparently way too small to divide in half so I won't go that route. I can play Chiapanecas through, but it is full of mis-hits, oops and it is anything but musical in even my best rendition. Tomorrow is it. If I can't get through two run throughs that are reasonably goof free, I'll move on.

I have O sole mio to do next which I have practiced quite a bit and think I stand a chance. After that I've covered everything else up to Scarborough Fair (did someone say 'affair'?).

I will report in tomorrow one way or another. I'll either be braggin' or complain'n.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Some pieces are like that. My rendition of "Good People" was mostly free of mistakes, but it was full of hesitations and as you say "anything but musical". After a month, it was just time to move on. But, as you are giving it another day - I hope you are braggin' tomorrow.

I'm working on Chiapanecas right now, so I'm right behind you.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
grin

D
D
I'm still struggling with O Sole Mio - It seems like I've been struggling since trying to play Little Brown Jug - which, by the way, I still hate.
Also, it's a little harder to sit down at the DP when the weather is so beautiful. There's only so much free time after work.

B
B
I agree with you dee, the warmer weather is making it much more difficult. But we are actually having the most rain we have had in the last 5 years (good thing we needed it), so when I'd normally go out to the pool after work, its been about time for a thunderstorm to roll in, I loose my satelite internet and and am so thankful to have the piano to sit down to.

Finally got back to lessons tonight, was supposed to go back two weeks ago but got the kids darn cold and didn't want to spread it around, so I cancelled. Lesson went well. I'm officially up to Cockles & Mussles in the AIO book, up to What a Wonderful World in the Greatest Hits book, and still working on Desperado in the other book I bought. That one will still be a little while, but I'm seeing improvements every day. My teacher agreed that it was a little above where I'm at now, but agreed that if I wanted to work it out, it covered a lot of the same techniques that were in some of the easier pieces she had given me and agreed to trade off several of the easier ones for me to continue working on that piece.

I also got my Hannons book tonight, so adding that in, still doing scales, arpegios and cadences. But I'm happier I think having one bigger piece to work on rather than a half a dozen simpler ones, it keeps me challenged and motivated and feeling more focused.

Glad to hear everyone is progressing so well. I need to get myself moving in the Alfred's book or you are all going to leave me behind and move on to thread #2!

Hi Barb,

You are just ahead of me in the book. I also bought the Greatest Hits book after reading what you and others had to say about it. I have always loved Edelweiss and What a Wonderful World (have you heard Eva Cassidy sing What a Wonderful World? - so beautiful and poignant, especially considering her untimely passing from cancer)...

Anyway one thing I was wondering -- when do you move on from a piece? I can get through BTMD and Cafe Vienna with say only one or two small mistakes. Do you usually get them to "perfect" before moving on? I think if I did that I would go crazy! smile

It's true - at my age (43 with two young kids) finding practice time is the hardest part. But I love it when I do!

Cheers --

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
@ Zenobe:

I only officially call myself more or less "done" with a piece when my teacher lets me play the next one. Now, she lets me go ahead with the book, but everything I play by my own is never considered 'done' until it gets her approval. BUT! Even if she lets me move to the next piece, we always go back a number of pages to review past pieces, and to my horror, pieces I have supposedly mastered come out full of silly mistakes. So now in my practice time I decided to practice old pieces too, even though I'm itching to do the newer ones. Just a while ago, I reviewed everything from "Beautiful Brown Eyes" to my current piece, "Lullaby." To my surprise, all that reviewing was actually a good warm-up and made playing my current piece easier.
I also noticed a slight improvement in my sight reading.

Personally, I never go to the next piece until I get to play a piece note-perfect more times than I mess it up. I have a feeling my teacher isn't as strict about being note-perfect, though (she said I'm a bit of a perfectionist grin)

Last edited by marimorimo; 06/11/09 09:47 AM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
B
B
Zenobe,

I take very much the same approach as marimorimo. Once I know I can nail a song and prove it several times, I officially move on (even if I occasionally go back and make a mistake). But what I do is paperclip back to the last song that was a challenge, for me its still Blow the Man down and that is where I start my warm up for each practice session. I'll probably be moving my paper clip up soon, but BTMD was such a challenge at first, I now enjoy starting there and nailing it on the first try.

I think when you have a song near perfection, it is as good a time as any to introduce something new to avoid boredom and stagnation, but do like I do, and paperclip that page that might still need a little polishing and use it for warm up, and soon enough you will notice one day that it is now perfected without effort. Well, that's what works for me at least.

D
D
I never wait for perfection - if I can nail the melody and the notes, I consider it done. Then I play, play, play, play it and practice it until I get the right beat. My teacher lets me move ahead to a new lesson even though the old one is not perfect. Really, how much time do I have left in this world smile
I am also playing from 2 other books in addition to good old Alfred. I can play Danny Boy ALMOST perfectly and then have several going from My first book of classical music - which I love. I'm playing Fur Elise fairly well.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I like the paper clip idea Barb, I will definitely use that one. It sounds like using the older pieces as warm up to keep them sharp, while continuing to forge ahead at a reasonable pace, will be the best method for me. I find sometimes as I come to the end of a piece without any mistakes, my brain kind of spazzes out and forces me to make a mistake out of panic. Maybe that is a hurdle like any other, and I need to keep on practicing the piece to get over that problem also.

Yesterday was a big day at our house - new piano arrived! I posted pictures on the Piano Forum under the thread "New Piano Arrived Yesterday." We're very excited! If you check the photos out can you please give me an unbiased opinion whether you think the piano is too big for the room I put it in? Thanks!

Page 119 of 452 1 2 117 118 119 120 121 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission