Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 100 1 2 3 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#991092 - 05/11/07 09:32 AM Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I thought it was time for the book two thread. Please use this thread to discuss your book two experiences. upload your music etc.

A note from the first Alfred thread...

Although this is the Adult Beginners forum, many here seem to be very advanced or just amazingly gifted. I don't see many true beginners here (Like me) so I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to the "True" beginner, especially those using Alfred's Adult Piano Course Level one, book one.

And now for those moving on to book two.

Mark

Here is the Alfred Book One Thread

Here is the Alfred Book three thread

The Alfred Adult Users Supplement Pieces Thread

Alfred Graduate List

You Tube Alfred Pieces

Songs from Book Two

Down in the Valley

Guantanamera performed by Undone

Tumbalalaika Performed by z32

Roman Holiday

Light and Blue performed by JohnFrank

Hungarian Rhapsody #2 Performed by Undone

La Bamba performed by Undone

Mexican Hat Dance Performed by Undone

Scherzo

Plaisir D’Amour Performed by Undone

Waves of the Danube Performed by z32

Dark Eyes performed by JohnFrank

Sakura
Sakura (Cherry Blossoms) performed by JohnFrank

You\'re in My Heart

Lonesome Road

Village Dance by IamElise

Hokey-Pokey by IamElise

Brahms\'s Lullaby performed by JohnFrank
Brahms's Lullaby Performed by Waltz on U-Tube

Calypso Carnival Performed by Waltz on U-Tube

On YouTube:
Night Song
Night Song Performed by z32
Night Song Performed by Undone

Space Shuttle Blues performed by z32

Aloha Oe performed by z32

Pomp & Circumstance performed by z32
Pomp and Circumstance performed by JohnFrank

Swinging Sevenths performed by z32
Swinging Sevenths performed by JohnFrank

America the Beautiful performed by z32

The Polovetsian Dances performed By z32
Polovetsian Dances Performed by Johnfrank

Arkansas Traveler performed by z32

Musette performed by z32

The Riddle performed by JohnFrank

Frankie and Johnnie performed by JohnFrank

Theme - Symphony No. 6 (1st Move.) (Tchaikovsky) performed by JohnFrank

Black is the Color of My True Love\'s Hair
Black is the Color of My True Love\'s Hair performed by JohnFrank

Black Forest Polka performed by JohnFrank

Festive Dance performed by JohnFrank

Divertimento in D (with repeat) performed by JohnFrank

When Johnny Comes Marching Home performed by JohnFrank

Olympic Procession performed by JohnFrank

Alexander's Ragtime Band performed by JohnFrank
Alexander's Ragtime Band Performed by Music in Me

Theme from Solace performed by JohnFrank

Waltz in G Minor performed by JohnFrank

Fascination performed by JohnFrank

Loch Lomond performed by JohnFrank

Love\'s Greeting performed by JohnFrank

Etude, Op.10, No. 3 (Theme) performed by JohnFrank

DannyBoy performed by JohnFrank

Musetts\'s Waltz performed by JohnFrank

Ballin\' The Jack performed by JohnFrank

La Donna E Mobile performed by JohnFrank

Hava Nagila Performed by JohnFrank

Canon in D Performed by Waltz on U tube

Please let me know if any links don't work

Edited by Mark... (09/10/09 02:34 PM)

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#991093 - 05/11/07 10:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
I am a true beginner, Mark. I'm not gifted or talented so this is where I belong.

I'm on calypso carnival (both hands play stacatto yuk) and the one before that, some bluesies spiritual piece.

#991094 - 05/11/07 11:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by loly:
I am a true beginner, Mark. I'm not gifted or talented so this is where I belong.

I'm on calypso carnival (both hands play stacatto yuk) and the one before that, some bluesies spiritual piece. [/b]
I looked at book two...boy it's going to a lot of fun... \:D

#991095 - 05/11/07 01:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I liked scherzo, a lot. where are you in book 1 btw?

#991096 - 05/11/07 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I liked scherzo, a lot. where are you in book 1 btw? [/b]
Next week is the Entertainer...then just Amazing Grace left...

#991097 - 05/11/07 06:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
funburger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark, i went through book 2, and to tell you the truth, i only liked a few of the pieces in it. it was a real drag for me. so hopefully you have some disicipline to drudge through the pieces you dont like:) as if you press on and move on to book 3, book 3 really rocks, i like most of the music in it and its alot of fun \:D book 2 i see as a stepping stone to playing some really fun music this is just my opinion i am sure alot of people like most of the music in book 2, but not me. i did like canon in d, light and blue and brahms lullaby because i started playing the lullaby at night to put my little one to sleep and it worked everytime \:D enjoy and press on as it only gets better from there:)

#991098 - 05/11/07 11:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by funburger:
Mark, i went through book 2, and to tell you the truth, i only liked a few of the pieces in it. it was a real drag for me. so hopefully you have some disicipline to drudge through the pieces you dont like:) as if you press on and move on to book 3, book 3 really rocks, i like most of the music in it and its alot of fun \:D book 2 i see as a stepping stone to playing some really fun music this is just my opinion i am sure alot of people like most of the music in book 2, but not me. i did like canon in d, light and blue and brahms lullaby because i started playing the lullaby at night to put my little one to sleep and it worked everytime \:D enjoy and press on as it only gets better from there:) [/b]
Discipline is the key word. \:D I was being a little sarcastic when I said book 2 would be fun. But I'm so determined to learn piano, I put up with songs that I really don't like...

And I love what you said about the stepping stone, Its like if you do the work, the reward will be waiting for you...

Thanks for the motivation!!

PS: I'm on pace to finish book one in about 6 months. Book 2 looks like it could be a year long project.

#991099 - 05/12/07 06:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
mollyp Offline

Loc: western australia
hi that is about where i am at.count me in . have to mention the teacher(ex) said i needed a challenge and picked canon(end of book) which i am tryingto refine-didnt find it hard except one section. at the moment 9just today) going back as i have had a break and have forgotten a fair bit!~ but i love it especially on my neww piano.

#991100 - 05/12/07 11:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Relic Offline

Loc: Netherlands, Purmerend
I got trough book 1 not to long ago. I think it costed me about 6 - 7 months.
And now I am in book 2. I like Roman Holiday and Goodmorning, also The Wals from Musetta.
Anyway i'm not working in the book anymore , I decided to pause it. I dont find the songs challenging, I'm doing some harder stuff now (teacher says im prty amazing for such a new student), like préludes and soundtracks from movies. Perhaps after a while i will go back to book 2 and just play it rapidly so it does not cost me much time. Oh by the way the Entertainer is lovely ;\)

#991101 - 05/12/07 12:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
I am almost finished with Alfred's 2- just (I think) 2 more pieces and the Canon to go. Not much more than that, anyway. I found a few pieces that I liked enough to go back to them now and again, but most were in the "learn it to get the theory/technique down" category. I also have one of the supplemental books and have worked on a couple pieces from that. I don't know if my teacher will have me move on to book 3 or not. We'll see. I also usually have one or two things not in the Alfred's book to work on, so I get some diversity in my practice.

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#991102 - 05/12/07 12:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I am almost finished with Alfred's 2- just (I think) 2 more pieces and the Canon to go. Not much more than that, anyway. I found a few pieces that I liked enough to go back to them now and again, but most were in the "learn it to get the theory/technique down" category. I also have one of the supplemental books and have worked on a couple pieces from that. I don't know if my teacher will have me move on to book 3 or not. We'll see. I also usually have one or two things not in the Alfred's book to work on, so I get some diversity in my practice. [/b]
Hi IrishMak,
How long did it take to get through book two? And has the book helped you progress to a higher level overall. Just curious to see where I'll be when book two is complete.

Thanks
Mark

#991103 - 05/12/07 02:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Looking at the book (my teacher writes the date we start a page on top of it), it took me just under a year to get thru it. But then, I didn't always work steadily out of it- some pieces, as would be expected, took longer than others, and there were times when I didn't have things to work on from the book.

As for it helping, yes, I think it did. I was kind of "fumbling" for a while with my lessons- wasn't working out of any method book, and just picking stuff I was interested in or that my teacher brought in. But it wasn't structured enough for me to really feel I was making any sort of progress at any kind of steady rate. So we re-evaluated and decided to go back to a method book and just supplement it with other stuff. I actually started with Alred's 2- never did 1, but that was mainly because I already had 1+ years of lessons at that point and my teacher felt that book 1 would have been backtracking too much.

Bottom line: I do feel the Alfred's book has helped. I think (and my husband has said that he thinks I do) I play better now. I'm not sure if I would be where I am if I had just kept up with the random stuff like I was before. HTH.

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#991104 - 05/14/07 11:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

When I started playing in book 2, I had the mind set of "Are you kidding me?", the songs are so easy you can easily do 2-3 each lesson. So far the only one in there I liked was scherzo because you get to speed it up as you go along.

I like to follow things through though, I'd rather go through the whole thing than think on down the line that maybe I missed something.

I also do fabers and fabers is faster paced than Alfred's so it keeps me busy and entertained

#991105 - 05/14/07 12:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Relic Offline

Loc: Netherlands, Purmerend
... man when i did book 2 and came to the first quarter and did a little bit more i advanced alot, before finishing the book, but i think music sheets from internet help me more. they are more difficult, entertaning ect. I often do these next to working in Alfred's and not just 1 the whole book but loads.

#991106 - 05/15/07 12:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
nrrdgrrl Offline

Hello!

Well, I finished Book 1 after about 8 months with my teacher. She doesn't require perfection on songs. I'm of mixed feelings on this. On a certain song we'll work on timing and on another song we'll work on something else, but I'm always surprised when she says, OK, we can move on now. I'm kind of a "work harder," not "work smarter" kind of gal, so that throws me for a loop, a bit. I want to make sure my progress is proper. I mean, I'm paying a lot of money. On the other hand, if we work on something for a long time there seem to be diminishing returns. So, I don't know.

I'm not starting on Alfred 2 yet, or the Faber 2 (I just finished that one, too). Right now I'm working on Piano Town Lessons 3 (same as the 7-year-old girl who comes after me), Robert Vandall's Modal Expressions and a couple minuets here and there. I kind of miss the Alfred. I liked the songs in it.

#991107 - 05/17/07 10:51 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nrrdgrrl,

My teacher is the same way she doesn't expect note perfect but she wants the dynamics, rythym and tempo perfect.

As she says note perfect will come later and I agree with her on this. Once you have the basic 3 years of music lessons down, your perfect notes will come much easier and by that time that's when you're probably going to play for pure pleasure so it makes sense that at that time you'll have tons of time to spend on polishing your pieces to perfection.

I looked at my next piece in alfred's last night and was able to play right through it, I don't understand why alfred's 2 is so easy, maybe it's to engrave the foundation we learned in book 1, I'm so looking forward to book 3. I'm ready for a challenge.

#991108 - 05/17/07 11:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
gogo2 Offline

hi everyone! i just start. in sherzo, how do i move from finger 5 to 3 in "fingers can fly"? thanks

#991109 - 05/17/07 01:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

On that note (the D on the word "fly"), you are playing that with your left hand finger 3. So you just bring it up into the treble staff to play that one note, then move right back down to the F maj chord in the bass staff.

Kawai MP-4 digital

#991110 - 06/07/07 08:47 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Started book two today with the teacher...I feel like I just graduated... \:D

#991111 - 06/07/07 10:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
I just started this book today with my new teacher myself. I'm coming from a different series of books so Alfred's is different for me. There are some holes that needs to be filled and there are some things I'm ahead on that will be covered later on the book. So I should learn some new stuff but some will be a review for me.

#991112 - 06/08/07 09:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

yay congrats mark and cyborg.

You'll find alfred's 2 to be extremely easy. I was just starting to take 2 alfred pieces in addition to my faber when I quit my teacher but once I decide on a teacher I should move quickly through book 2.

#991113 - 06/13/07 01:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Mark, tell me how is it going. tellllllllll me

#991114 - 06/13/07 02:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Mark, tell me how is it going. tellllllllll me [/b]
Hi loly, thanks for asking...

Just really started book 2. Have only done "Down in the Valley" with the teacher and have it down well. Yesterday I snuck ahead and started working on "Tumbalalaika". I'm still using book #1 with some fine tuning of the "Entertainer" and major work still being done to "Amazing Grace"
I'm also working on two Ludovico Einaudi pieces that are major long term projects as well as Moonlight Sonata in Dm.

As for book #2, I still don't have a feel for it yet, but I hope your right about it being easy and going well. Looking ahead,, it looks hard.

And finally, I decided if I make through book #3, I will reward myself with a grand piano. I then hope to be grand piano worthy... \:D

I'm still having major problems trying to record. I have the worst "Red Dot" fever...

So how are you doing loly. Sounds like your really progressing fast.

Mark

#991115 - 06/13/07 03:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Congrats, Mark and Cyborg!

I had taken a bit of a break from Book 2 for a short bit. Picked up a couple short, easy classical pieces and another that I wanted to learn. I just started on the Canon last night at my lesson, so I am just about done with Book 2. Took me just about a year to get here. Of course, after last nite, I feel like some sort of genius or something. My teacher said she has 2 adult students who have been in Alfred's 2 for more than a year and a half- and one of them isn't even halfway thru it! LOL

Kawai MP-4 digital

#991116 - 06/13/07 03:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Congrats, Mark and Cyborg!

I had taken a bit of a break from Book 2 for a short bit. Picked up a couple short, easy classical pieces and another that I wanted to learn. I just started on the Canon last night at my lesson, so I am just about done with Book 2. Took me just about a year to get here. Of course, after last nite, I feel like some sort of genius or something. My teacher said she has 2 adult students who have been in Alfred's 2 for more than a year and a half- and one of them isn't even halfway thru it! LOL [/b]
Canon is such a great piece! I'm looking forward to it. Looking at book two, I'm betting it takes me a minimum of a year. I'll know more after a couple more weeks.

As for you, I'm going to have to start the book #3 thread... \:D

Keep up the good work!

Mark

#991117 - 06/13/07 03:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well, I wouldn't go starting that too soon! We talked about maybe taking a break from method books completely for a while after I get thru Canon. She is going to go thru some music and set up an idea of what she thinks might be worth going with for a while. I also plan to look over the Alfred's 3 book and see what I think of it. Decisions, decisions.... \:\)

Kawai MP-4 digital

#991118 - 06/13/07 03:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't go starting that too soon! We talked about maybe taking a break from method books completely for a while after I get thru Canon. She is going to go thru some music and set up an idea of what she thinks might be worth going with for a while. I also plan to look over the Alfred's 3 book and see what I think of it. Decisions, decisions.... \:\) [/b]
Sorry you have to do book three...I just started the thread for you...:lol:

#991119 - 06/13/07 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Cyborg Offline

Loc: Charleston, SC
Well, after my first lesson I was given "Down in the Valley" and "Tumbalalaika" to work on for my next lesson. Also, I was given the appropriate theory work and some more scale and chord exercises. Since I don't have a lesson this week I wished I would have asked for another couple of pieces to work on. Although, "Tumbalalaika" is giving me a little bit of a fit since I haven't used the pedal much up to this point and it's nothing but pedaling throughout! So I'll use the extra time to work on my lack of pedal experience.

I looked through the book and didn't see anything extremely intimidating. Some of the items are review such as sixteenth notes, 6/8 times, dotted-eight notes, etc. I'm not complaining because I need the work on the items mentioned, it just won't be brand new for me. Of course many items will be new such as actually reading dynamic indications (ff, mf) in the music. I'm really excited about it.

Several of the pieces I have worked on before in my previous books but they were different arrangements or in a different key. My past experience tells me I'll have an easier time with those pieces e.g. "Down in the Valley".

Also, I looked at Canon at the end of the book and I must say that it appears intimidating. For those who have already learned the piece, is it a good arrangement of Canon?

#991120 - 06/13/07 06:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hi,

I haven't had lessons for three weeks but I'm almost halfway through alfred's 2. I start lessons again this weekend so hopefully I'll move at a steady pace.

Odd I don't have Tumbalalaika in my book. I saw it in the regular book but it's not in the All in one adult course. Can someone scan it for me? When I went to the piano store inquiring about a teacher they tried to sell me a Roland and the teacher got the alfreds book and started playing Tumbalalaika, which I thought was quite nice.

I can't wait to start my lessons, I have 2 pieces from alfreds that I was working on and they're more than ready to go. weeeeeeeeee

#991121 - 06/13/07 08:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
hi,

Odd I don't have Tumbalalaika in my book. I saw it in the regular book but it's not in the All in one adult course. Can someone scan it for me? When I went to the piano store inquiring about a teacher they tried to sell me a Roland and the teacher got the alfreds book and started playing Tumbalalaika, which I thought was quite nice.

I can't wait to start my lessons, I have 2 pieces from alfreds that I was working on and they're more than ready to go. weeeeeeeeee [/b]
Check your private mail...

Page 1 of 100 1 2 3 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
87 registered (angga888, AZNpiano, BB Player, AndrewJCW, 23 invisible), 1267 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292009 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
37 minutes 57 seconds ago
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission