2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 2 invisible), 1,300 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 190 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 189 190
B
B
I haven't been here in a while but I'm kind of a book two'er. I reached America the Beautiful, got frustrated, and we've taken a break to do Minuet in G, and a Beethoven sonatina. I have to say I'm really enjoying the break from Alfred, although i'll probably go back. For some reason I got stuck on America.

I always find a good comment here. I don't remember who, but I just read,"Even the songs I'm pretty good at - I still make mistakes on". I hate to say that I'm happy to hear that others make mistakes also, but, well...I am. No matter how competent I am at playing each individual part, I rarely get through anything error free. I'm sure it's a concentration issue and I guess it will improve. I've been taking lessons for almost two years now.
Well, good luck to everyone. I'm not sure when I'll be back because I spend too much time here when I visit. I could be practicing after all.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
Here is my recording of Deep River:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNK8LG5w8ss

I didn't record 6th Symphony Theme or Fascination, mainly because I didn't have the time, but also because I didn't particularly care for either of them, they were all right, just not favorites. . . Deep River was a change of pace, and different, so I definitely wanted to grab a recording of it. I don't know what happened to my post at the top of the page... I suppose just disregard it.

For the Americans on A#2, our big day's coming tomorrow, happy 4th to all,

W

Nice progress and recording Waltz. [Linked Image]

I'm not too clear or sure as to what happened to your reply to my previous post but I believe that I caught a bit of it within nancy w's quote, and please, no apologies were ever needed or necessary. As you've already mentioned, we're all entitled to our own opinions, and mine is just another one among many. All is well. smile

Hope you had a good 4th as well.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
"I took piano lessons as a child (from 9 to 11). Recently, when my daughter started taking lessons, I caught the bug. My wife took a semester of piano from the local community college 9 years ago, and they used Alfred All in One Book 1. She decided she wasn't all that interested after one semester, so didn't continue. I opened up her copy of Alfred last month and started learning from the beginning. I quickly discovered this book is a lot of fun!"

That's my intro in the Book 1 thread. I just started book 2 last night starting from the beginning, Down the Valley. I got through Guantanamera, so tonight, I'll start to work on Overture.

I'll hang out here a while; looks like book 2 will be just as fun as book 1, I hope.

Welcome 4evrBeginR! Sounds like you've put your wife's book 1 to great use and are progressing nicely. That's fabulous!

I enjoyed the Overture piece quite a lot, and am still going back to practice it once in a while.

Best of luck to you with book 2.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
N
N
Originally Posted by wj3
Angelojf. Bridal Chorus is a bear. I finally gave myself a pass on it. Its harder than it looks to play smoothly. It took me twice as long as I thought it would take. Now I am working in Guantamera. Its just as bad.

I liked Guantamera. It had a fun rhythm to it and was a very happy song to play smile

Originally Posted by nancy_w

I am having a problem with Canon in D where I don't know how I can turn the page while I'm playing! smile I end up holding the last notes on the 2nd page, while I reach up and try to quickly flip the page to the next one. I don't have a page turner that will sit with me while I practice.

I keep meaning to copy the last two pages so I can set them all out next to each other, no page turning necessary, but for longer songs how do you deal with this during practice?

Nancy_W - I made copies of two of the pages when I was working on Canon in D. It was still difficult finding a way to place them on the “open book sized” music stand on top of my keyboard. I wound up having one page lying flat on top of the keyboard, and one page pinched between the music stand and the book. It was far from optimal, but it got the job done.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Waltz – Very nice job on Deep River. I really liked the tempo and dynamic changes between verses.

Undone

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Undone

Nancy_W - I made copies of two of the pages when I was working on Canon in D. It was still difficult finding a way to place them on the “open book sized” music stand on top of my keyboard. I wound up having one page lying flat on top of the keyboard, and one page pinched between the music stand and the book. It was far from optimal, but it got the job done.

Undone

After a bit of experimentation I have discovered I can easily hold four sheets of paper on my piano without any overlap or any dangling off the edges. This makes it much nicer and I can get through the whole song without page turning stops.
The next version of the song I've started on is 5 pages though; so I guess I'll have to memorize on that one. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Key Notes, and thanks Undone! I really liked Deep River, it was great. Thanks for your comments smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Theme from Symphony No. 6:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzAGQtl9dPk

Fascination:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZkui96g-o

Loch Lomond:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0aueODUrsc

Had some free time around lunch today, so I recorded these three.

Love's Greeting is hard. . .

[Linked Image]
Waltz – Nice job on those recordings, but you know what’s really amazing to me? It’s that you did all three of those recently learned pieces during “some free time around lunch”. My ability to play a piece well starts to disintegrate rapidly after I move on to something else.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, thanks Undone!

After I pass them, I still practice the "more recent" ones daily. Generally, I practice the "new piece" (one I'm learning), plus the three behind it. Thanks again, and as always, I highly value your thoughts regarding my playing,

Best,

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Hello everyone, just joined this wonderful group.
I'll start off with a question. How critical is it to be able to recognize notes by ear? Even though I can read music, albeit slowly, still I am not good in the ear training department...something like calling out the white keys from middle C to the next C! Yet I can play some songs by ear!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, if you want to play music "by ear", I would assume it will be critical. Playing from sheet music, it is not as essential, but wouldn't hurt.

[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by Music-in_me
Hello everyone, just joined this wonderful group.
I'll start off with a question. How critical is it to be able to recognize notes by ear? Even though I can read music, albeit slowly, still I am not good in the ear training department...something like calling out the white keys from middle C to the next C! Yet I can play some songs by ear!

I agree with Waltz - I think if you can 'hear' when you play a wrong note, that you'll be good while reading music. Without that you can still play, but might not realize you're playing it wrong. There are exercises that you can do to train your ear better; but it isn't absolutely necessary.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Glad to hear that (no pun intended!), as I am beginning to feel insecure due to this weak ability. I have not tried to learn to hear notes and call them by name, but I was just wondering if this was a natural ability among piano players.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Are you currently on Alfred's 2?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yes, I am. I think I'm 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through L2, as I sometimes skip some songs. My favorites are Guantanamera, Light and Blue, Hungarian Rhapsody #2 , Scherzo, Plaisir D’Amour, Waves of the Danube, Sakura, Village Dance, Brahms's Lullaby, The Riddle, Black Forest Polka, Divertimento in D, and Hava Nagila. I had some difficulty with most of the other ones,like Alexander's Ragtime song.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's cool, welcome to the forum. On which piece are you now working?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm reviewing stuff. Here's the thing, I stopped piano practice for about 5 years (ouch!), as I got busy with all kinds of other things. However, I have been doing keyboard material, mostly learning by ear, but also looking up some sheet music. The good thing (for all of us)is that even after so many years, it takes about 30 minutes to play back a song that I did before with no mistakes, even better than before! That's encouraging.
I took Book 1 in Aug 1996 then paused for about a year, then took L2 I guess around 1999, off and on for about 2 years, then started various sheet music stuff for a while, then stopped practice completely since around 2004. Now I feel I'm back with vengeance. Wish me luck.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah, that is an interesting background. You have been playing for quite a while, even with the hiatuses, and I bet you're pretty good. This forum, and the Alfred threads, are full of dedicated people who provide mutual support in a friendly community. You should consider sticking around, it's fun hearing stories to which you can easily relate and sharing your own.

[Linked Image]
Page 64 of 190 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission