2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 247 of 452 1 2 245 246 247 248 249 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh awesome! Thanks PS. I didn't realize that and I hate HATE jumping around. LOL Page 38 and on it is... smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Troubledclef
I have finally gotten the notes down on Good People. I must have practiced the first two measures a couple hundred times. (My husband said it was more like a thousand, so I am not sure.) Anyway, I still play it very very slowly - so now to work on the speed.

Don't worry too much about speed at this point. You will find that it takes many fewer repetitions if you never make errors. By that I mean if you play so slowly that you never hit a wrong note then you will not have to "unlearn" negative muscle memory (errors). Slowly means however slow it takes. I've played things where you could take a nap bewteen notes....but that is preferable to playing the wrong note. Accuracy first, then speed. The goal is to learn how to play in a relaxed, fluid manner, not to finish this piece just so you can move to the next.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for that post Jim. It wasn't aimed at me, but I've been applying the correct notes not speed since I read it and it's helping.

I'm working on "What can I share" on page 42 as of yesterday. I like the fact that it's taking a week for me to get through two pages. I'm still having a wee bit of trouble with the G7. I tend to hit an extra key with my 4th finger once in awhile so I'm working on being able to hit that chord smoothly. (little hands.. lol) I found that if I pull my hand back and hit the keys more on the ends I can do it smoothly. Too far forward and I start hitting the other keys.

Also still on page one of the Jazz course. LOL I think I might be on that one for awhile.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Double post.. some sort of database error? ugh

Last edited by BeccaBb; 08/05/12 12:55 PM.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
F
F
You are ok BeccaBb IMO.

I am in "The Stranger" a few weeks, but I do not want to go to the next piece before this is ok. I will start my holidays next week, may be only after the holidays I can finish it.

Alfred Adult All-In-One - level 1 - "Go Down, Moses" - page 133

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I started page 45 today (left hand version of The Saints Go Marching.) My timing is terrible. LOL F chord seems easy to do, probably due to my over practice of the G7 chord. LOL...

Still on page one of the Jazz course. It's starting to sound like a real song now. Just have to polish timing, then learn to change it up a bit. I'm making good progress!

I did notice something odd today. My pinky on my left I hit with the side flat, whereas my pinky on the right I hit on the tip. I know that I'm still battling the flying high pinky on my left side. Even as I type I can see the difference. Is this an issue? Should I try to change how I use the left?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Becca,

I'm not a teacher, but I believe, with the exception of your thumbs, all fingers should usually be striking on the "fleshy pads." (Sorta just below the tips is the way I'd describe it)

Ask yourself, is your left pinky striking on its side because it might be weak or because of tension? That would not be unusual. In which case it might be better to try and play it on the pad in order to strengthen it over time.

Last edited by JimF; 08/08/12 05:02 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes I do think it's very weak. That pinky had surgery on it about three times when I was a kid and it's definately lagging behind. I will practice watching it and keeping it hitting on the tip. Any ideas of a pinky exercise (hit all keys with pinky or something?) that I could put into my daily practice?

Thanks for the quick answer. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Are you letting your left hand collapse to the left, enabling the pinky side strike?

I don't know what's correct; I'm just trying to think mechanically about how a side strike can occur.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will try to take a picture or a video so you can see.

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K this isn't the greatest picture (son has no patience LOL) and it doesn't show it really good but hopefully it's enough.
C chord
[Linked Image]

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Your right hand looks a little collapsed, Becca, and you seem rather close to the keyboard. On a piano with 88 keys you'd cover both ends of your keyboard with opposite thumbs. Do you have enough room for that?

Do you use the side of your pinky whether you're playing chords or single notes? It's more common in chord playing but it's bad form if your hand is 'normal'. Balancing a coin on the back of your hand while playing is not a good idea but it looks like a coin would slide off your right hand. It shouldn't.

Getting back to your flying high pinky - don't try too hard to keep it low but spend time each day practising playing without lifting your fingers off the keys. Start with your RH fingers on C to G and play C slowly a couple of times without your thumb losing contact with the key then try the other fingers before going to LH. Your pinky may lift a little as you play your fourth finger, don't worry about it.

In fast runs the pinky isn't used much but in an Alberti bass it may benefit from a little extra height (and wrist action) to compensate for its weakness.

It might be worth finding someone who could check your playing position in person.

Richard
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BeccaBb
K this isn't the greatest picture (son has no patience LOL) and it doesn't show it really good but hopefully it's enough.
C chord
[Linked Image]

I'm learning some of the things that I was doing wrong while self-teaching and one of them involves sitting at the keyboard. If you sit too close then your arms don't have room to move. Also, when you play to the left or right of center you should feel free to lean slightly to the left or right. Are you playing below middle C with both hands? It looks like maybe your right arm is cramped trying to bring the hand to the left, and that may be why you are twisting or tilting your wrist to get over there.

Agree with zrtf about possible closeness.

Last edited by keystring; 08/08/12 07:39 PM. Reason: addendum
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh ignore how close I am and my right hand. I had to squish in close and kinda turn so that my son could get behind me and take a picture. I normally sit further away.

Richard: I'm not sure if it collapses to the side on single notes. I'll watch for that tonight and report back tomorrow. I will try the finger exercises on both hands. I've tried the other methods (relaxing before each key, changing finger/hand positions etc..) and all to no avail, so here's to hoping!

Keystring: I had no idea I could lean. LOL. I will try that for sure. Going up and down the keyboard has been uncomfortable trying to do that straight. LOL

Thanks guys much appreciated. smile

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
i just recently stumbled onto the Alfred books. They are a great challenge for beginnners looking to climb to the next step. great post my friend.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I forgot to see if my finger collapes.. LOL I'll try to remember for tomorrow. I did try lifting each finger slowly while keeping the others on the keys relaxed. Very tough to do! My left hand just shook trying to do it. Very very weak. I'll be keeping that exercise up for a bit that is for sure!

Practice was short and difficult today. I hurt my back at work, am on meds for it and light duty for two weeks. I can only sit for about five minutes max before I have to get up and move. Oh well, lots of mini breaks and short practices for the next little while!

Anyone else actively working on this book right now?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
F
F
Hello,
Does anyone know where you can get the midi files for this course? As I understand it, the CD has only mp3 fies?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Keep up the good work, Book 1 People.
We need to spark things up a little over on the Book #2 thread!!

Learner
L
L
Hi
sheetmusicplus had the midi files for All in One Level 1 listed for $11.96

F
F
Hi and thanks for the tip.

They only seem to have a midi DISK however. Do you know if you can pay to download the files themselves anywhere?

Page 247 of 452 1 2 245 246 247 248 249 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission