2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 114 of 452 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 451 452
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK, gang, I'm almost done Book One.... I'm not done with The Entertainer yet....It still needs work, but here is what it sounds like now (complete with mistakes added at no charge!):
http://www.box.net/shared/xjyzmttygb

B
B
Ok Angelo, The Entertainer needs a little more work, but you are on the right way.
Good Job!

D
D
I think you did a great job with it!! I can't wait to get there - still on that little brown jug - ugh!

B
B
I am happy because -after pieces I don't like- now I am practising I Got Those Blues.
It is a very basic blues, but at least it's the music I love!
After so many years playing acoustic guitar blues, now my goal is to play piano blues, boogie woogie and gospel.
That's why I need the general foundation that only a book like Alfred's Lessons can offer.
And that's why i don't give up, when I find the tunes so boring!

M
M
I thought I was done with Little Brown Jug and Chiapenacas, but my teacher told me they sound too mechanical. When she played the same songs it was like night and day. I am now trying to make them more musical.

For example, on the first line of LBJ I need to make sure the music is going somewhere. I need to visualize that I am marching up a mountain as the notes get louder.

With Chiapenacas I should visualize a loud clap for the emphasized notes in the first part and make my left hand much softer and bouncier on the second part. This is the first time I am playing a different volume on the left hand and right hand. It is hard, but does bring a new dimension to the song.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ah yes Mark music is so much about the expression, the flow. Glad you are revisiting to get the feel. I have soooo much to learn in that area but I think that is really the key to piano once you have the mechanics down (not that that is easy).

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
D
D
I need some help - as you know, I just received my new Roland RP 101 - it seems that the lower notes of the piano are louder than the higher notes of the piano. If I play each hand separately, it sounds fine but if I play both hands together, I feel like the left hand is drowning out the right hand. Is it the DP or is it me or is it supposed to be like that?
I'm also going to figure out today how to change the touch - I think it's factory mode - medium touch and I really need a lighter touch. I wonder if that will help the sound difference.

Hi Dee,

It is supposed to be like that, reflecting the action of a real piano. Don't worry, you will soon adjust.

D
D
Hi Ejay - thanks for letting me know that. I can get used to it if I know it's supposed to be like that and that there is nothing wrong with the DP, so thanks!!!!!

D
D
Shakesbeer - did you get your new DP??? Did you put it together? How do you like it?

R
R
I've been practicing "Little Brown Jug" for a few days now and I'm starting to get it. I got the melody down perfectly just having trouble adding the left hand in. However, while playing the right hand part, I have to look at the keys for a quick second for the 5th and 9th measures. Is that ok? Or is that not allowed? Just curious.

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by romolo
I've been practicing "Little Brown Jug" for a few days now and I'm starting to get it. I got the melody down perfectly just having trouble adding the left hand in. However, while playing the right hand part, I have to look at the keys for a quick second for the 5th and 9th measures. Is that ok? Or is that not allowed? Just curious.

Measure 5 is one of the tricky spots that gave me trouble as well... not so much measure 9. Don't know why?? I remember having to look in the begining as well. Try to ease out of that with more practice. Finding the right hand high A note in measure 10 without looking, presented a problem as well.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by angelojf
OK, gang, I'm almost done Book One.... I'm not done with The Entertainer yet....It still needs work, but here is what it sounds like now (complete with mistakes added at no charge!):
http://www.box.net/shared/xjyzmttygb

Congrats angelojf
Sounds as if you have the nuts and bolts of it down... just needs a little polish.

I have been side tracked by the recital ... and summer! Just seems as if there is always something needing to be done outside. But, I am working backwards on several- "Got Those Blues", "Why Am I Blue", "LBJ","Chiapanecas" (I know I said I was done with that one, but I now have too much invested!)
Finish work on "O Sole Mio" and "Jericho". "Jericho" is a fun one... not too much of a challenge.
Will probably start working on "Greensleeves" next week.

I've been stuck on "The Stranger" WAY too long. It's been pretty humbling because I was cruising along pretty well up until it. I think I need to just look at it for a while and figure it all out instead of constantly making the same mistakes like I'm doing now.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
B
B
Well, I'm once again moving forward. I've decided after over 2 weeks of resuming my regular practice schedule with no pain, numbness or tingling to go back to lessons, as I really enjoyed them, so I go back on the 27th.

I'm currently up to Rock it Away, but I'm still reinforcing everything from Blow the Man Down up to that point. Plus I'm working on The Rainbow Song from the Greatest Hits book, and Desperado (Eagles Song) from the Rock book I bought the other day (the only song I found that really worked with the piano).

I'm back to full speed and hoping not to return to where I was, as it appears a few medications were what led to my previous injury and I'm no longer taking them.

B
B
Originally Posted by BarbVA
Desperado (Eagles Song) from the Rock book I bought the other day (the only song I found that really worked with the piano).

Hi, BarbVA,
my Jazz/Rock Book should arrive in few days.
It seems to me that you don't like it very much. Why do you find that most of the songs don't work with the piano?
I ordered it because I love the Blues and I hoped it could have some interesting pieces.
Thanks in advance.

B
B

Hi, BarbVA,
Why do you find that most of the songs don't work with the piano? [/quote]

The book is called "Simply Rock 70's, 17 Rockin' Hits of the 1970's" Easy Piano arranged by Dan Coates. Here is the contents (don't get me wrong, I love most of the songs, but think about how the pop versions sound for the most part):

Bad Bad Leroy Brown (this one may work)
The Best of My Love (not sure)
Black Water (no way)
Cat's in the Cradle (no way)
Deperado (This one works, I'm working on it now)
Go Your Own Way (don't think so)
Hotel California (maybe)
Layla (Yeah Right, LOL!!!!!)
Long Train Runnin (not sure)
Maggie May (not sure)
More Than a Feeling (I dont' think so)
Old Time Rock & Roll (this one should work)
Peaceful Easy Feeling (maybe?)
Sister Golden Hair (I think not)
Stairway to Heaven (won't even try to dis my band like that)
Time in a Bottle (nope, not happening)
What a Fool Believes (maybe if I try a keyboard)

I will not even attempt to play a few of those on the piano, although I am tempted to pull my guitar out from the depths of the closet, lol.

B
B
Originally Posted by BarbVA

The book is called "Simply Rock 70's, 17 Rockin' Hits of the 1970's" Easy Piano arranged by Dan Coates.

Ooopps...
I thought you were referring to the Alfred's Adult Jazz/Rock Course.
I am happy that the Book you don't like is not the same I'm waiting for,lol!

D
D
I'm still struggling with Little Brown Jug although it's getting easier. I still don't like it. Also practicing Danny Boy from "My frist book of Irish Songs". I love that one and so find myself practicing it more.
Me too - I go back to the beginning of the book once in a while and after I figure out how to play the songs again smile I do pretty well.

R
R
I think I've got "Little Brown Jug" down. I can play it perfectly at a okay pace. Just working on increasing the tempo now. I thought I'd never get it... smile

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
Page 114 of 452 1 2 112 113 114 115 116 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission