2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,124 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 121 of 452 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 451 452
B
B
Does anyone have Chasing the Blues Away or Blues for Wynton Marsalis from the all-in-one book recorded or know where to find it online? If so can you upload it or point me to where it is? I can't find either of those to listen to, and I like to hear how one is supposed to sound before trying and finding out I've learned it wrong.

PianoNewbAlex's You tubes have been great, but he must not have done the All-in-One as he has neither of those songs posted.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm still working on Chiapanecas, dukeofhesse, but I haven't put that much into it yet so I don't know if it will prove to be a stone wall for me. I almost have the first section, up to the repreat, ALMOST being the key word. I've stumbled through the next few bars but each time it's like I'm reading them for the first time. I'm also still working on perfecting Little Brown Jug. If you've gotten a recording of Chiapanecas (a good one or not) you are that far ahead of me. It's a tough one, but all of them have been lately.

Didn't you skip a few to get to Scarborough? I've heard that one played by a few people here, and it's a nice one. Good luck with it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BarbVA
Does anyone have Chasing the Blues Away or Blues for Wynton Marsalis from the all-in-one book recorded or know where to find it online? If so can you upload it or point me to where it is? I can't find either of those to listen to, and I like to hear how one is supposed to sound before trying and finding out I've learned it wrong.

PianoNewbAlex's You tubes have been great, but he must not have done the All-in-One as he has neither of those songs posted.

No recording that I know of. I struggled with both of these until I got as good as I thought I was going to get and left them both behind thankfully. I did have my CD to refer to which helped a little. I seem to recall a link that someone here gave a while back that had recordings of the Alfred Book 1 CD. I don't know how easy it would be to find it with a search.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Walter Johnson chorus website has the Afretd level one CD stored there. Its at http://www.wjchorus.com/mp3player/index.cgi?action=Playlist&sortby=TITLE&flip=-T Its there along with alot of the chorus recordings.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's it! Thanks, wj3.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I have been pretty faithful to staying with the sequence of the pieces on the AIO Book 1, but for some reason I let myself off the hook with both of the blues pieces.

For some reason I just wasn't in the mood for the blues, and I gave myself a pass on both Chasing the Blues away and Blues for Wynton Marsalis.

Right now I'm working through Can Can and Marines Hymn, polishing Lullabye and Old Smoky. Looking forward to the challenge of Why Am I Blue and Good People!

My son's piano teacher offered to take me on with lessons, 20 minutes tacked on to the end of his lessons each Wednesday evening. I might just do it... how many of you Alfred's folks are taking lessons versus working on your own?

Piano Adventures 3A, Alfred AIO 2
D
D
I let myself off the hook with the dreaded Little Brown Jug. I vowed never to play it again!
I take a half hour lesson every week. I find it helps me as I have a tendency to get overwhelmed when I look ahead in the book. The piano teacher explains and simplifies.
I'm still on Ole Sole Mio and Jericho. But I am also learning Somewhere over the Rainbow - I got that sheet music from musicnotes.com and it's simple enough for me to do but complex enough to sound beautiful.

D
D
I forgot to ask this - anybody going to the piano party on Cape Cod in the fall? The info was in an email from Piano World that I got this a.m.

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BarbVA

BarbVA
Here is "Blues For Wynton Marsalis" from my Alfred's file.
I don't have a recording of the other one.

When I played this one, for measures 1-4 and throughout-I would let my left hand 3rd finger slip off of the Eb onto the E. This is in the base line. It seem to smooth that out for me.

http://www.box.net/shared/c01cp6o19d

I noticed I pretty much ignored the Crescendo and Diminuendo notations. shocked
I should watch that more closely... but, I am not much better at doing so.

Hello all,

the Blues for Wynton is an older song. Its on some blues cds. Its a neat piece. One of the few ones in the book I like. I looked at it and for one of the 1st times in my life made a sightread song sound like music. this has happened 3 times so far. I still can not sightread worth a darn...Its hard to get your left hand to wrk with the right on on that one. ( yes I have looked ahead in the book)"Little Brown Jug is another one that is easy in the right hand but hard to play with both hands. All of this is making me admire the keyboard players like Dr John a lot more.
Maybe I will mess with this one on the carillon.....so far I have just stuck with the stuff from the carillon music book or the tasty medievel music book I have. When I started piano I bought a TON of sheet music but its all over my head.
I put the piano aside for a while but am messing with it some,. It is going oh soooo very slow. I have not posted or read this great group for a while.
Still busting my butt on carillon though. Man thats hard. I show up usually a half hour before my lesson to practice and so some cleaning up of my work. Its really disconcerting when your teacher walks into the room and starts making comments on what you played 5MINUTES ago....the guy sits in the parking lot at the base of the tower and listens. (very disconcerting). My pedal work sucks and Larry made me play some pieces on pedal today...I somethings think that someone who invented that keyboard said ok this isnt hard enough I am gonna stick keys on the bottom to make it harder.!"I have put 2 months on a piece and still can not do the hands and pedal together. Hands alone is not an issue,dynamics are getting better,but the foot part even with I only play a pedal note on beat 1 and 3 is still sucking.... Got stuck having to sight read 3 pieces today. My sight reading is a "just shoot me now and get it over with kind of experiance.
time for kitties to curl up for the night.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, 1silkyferret, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you are still playing the carillon. I had to laugh at your teacher sitting in the parking lot listening to you play. :-)

A lot of people moved on to Book 2 since you were here last. I'm still hanging around in Bk.1 but getting nearer to the end.

Good to hear from you.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
B
B
Thanks wj3 & CarlMc!!!!!!!!!

B
B

When I played this one, for measures 1-4 and throughout-I would let my left hand 3rd finger slip off of the Eb onto the E. This is in the base line. It seem to smooth that out for me.

I wasn't sure what you meant until I tried it. I tried it both ways, but for me it seemed more natural to go ahead and let the next finger take the E. But I also have pretty small fingers, so they didn't get too crowded side by side, I could see that technique benefitting someone with larger hands however, as there isn't much room there for two fingers if you have larger fingers to begin with. Thanks for the hint, I always like to try different fingering positions. My teacher believes in finding the fingering that is most natural, so she doesn't hold me to whats noted on each song, so I experiment a lot.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
BarbVa

You are exactly right... it was the crowded fingers that was was creating the issue for me. But, I also liked the slur it created. smile

Last edited by Carl Mc; 06/27/09 09:00 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I want to say hello. I took piano lessons as a child (from 9 to 11). Recently, when my daughter started taking lessons, I caught the bug. My wife took a semester of piano from the local community college 9 years ago, and they used Alfred All in One Book 1. She decided she wasn't all that interested after one semester, so didn't continue. I opened up her copy of Alfred last month and started learning from the beginning. I quickly discovered this book is a lot of fun!

I'm working on Greensleves, Scarborough Fair, Raisins & Almonds, and the Entertainer at the moment. I am really enjoying the Alfred Book. I've already ordered book 2!

btw, I could get into the blues songs either. Just couldn't find the right feel for them.

Originally Posted by mom3gram
Hey, 1silkyferret, I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering if you are still playing the carillon. I had to laugh at your teacher sitting in the parking lot listening to you play. :-)

A lot of people moved on to Book 2 since you were here last. I'm still hanging around in Bk.1 but getting nearer to the end.

Good to hear from you.

Hi Mom3gram.
Trust me when your teacher is sitting in the parking lot hearing you mess up..that means OTHERS can to...I consider this one of the "things that suck,"
I am not doing as much on the digi keyboard as I would like to.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Oh, I didn't mean to make light of it. I realize that all your practices are in actuality a "recital" and that every note you play can be heard for quite a distance. I know I wouldn't want to do it. But the enjoyment must outweigh the "sucks" part or you wouldn't be doing it, right? Hang in there, I'm sure that your audience is no where near as critical as you are of yourself.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 4evrBeginR
Hi everyone, I'm new here! I want to say hello. I took piano lessons as a child (from 9 to 11). Recently, when my daughter started taking lessons, I caught the bug. My wife took a semester of piano from the local community college 9 years ago, and they used Alfred All in One Book 1. She decided she wasn't all that interested after one semester, so didn't continue. I opened up her copy of Alfred last month and started learning from the beginning. I quickly discovered this book is a lot of fun!

I'm working on Greensleves, Scarborough Fair, Raisins & Almonds, and the Entertainer at the moment. I am really enjoying the Alfred Book. I've already ordered book 2!

btw, I could get into the blues songs either. Just couldn't find the right feel for them.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds as if you have made good progress.
I am also working on Rasins & Almonds. I enjoy it a lot. It calls for a moderate speed, but I seem to like it better when played slowly. It is one of those that will stay in your head...it was there when I opened my eyes this morning smile

1silkyferret
I had to google carillon to even know what it is... how you decide you wanted to play the carillon?

HI Mom3gram,

I know you did'nt mean to make light of it. This whole thing is just so insane and I still can not believe I am crazy enough to be doing this stuff. Man its an addiction. A very bad one. I drive 20 miles each way to practice. (bad bad bad gas is now 250 a gal and I have a big van)
I love to go on sundays. empty parking lot. No one to bother. spent 3 hours up there today. My elbows HURT...Spent 90 minutes on one piece alone and can not get the last 8 bars at all. its about 40 bars all told. No pedal!!!!!huzzah..should get the last 8 done by Wen if lucky
took a month to get La Romasca. its about 80 bars and have all but the last few down ok. again no pedal!
Still working on Poor Wayfaring Stranger. If I have to mess with pedal it should be called "poor warfaring stranger." its a big mess. I have the hands part down just fine.
Working on these Scandanavian folk tunes its pretty but the 1st part requires far to much work with feet. I have it playable kind of... Got the middle part great. Can not do the last part at all. Its a long piece.

I make a point to go after the church services for the church across the street are over.

If they can hear me they are dumb enough to be walking across the street from the Kroger parking lot. On the other hand when Larry plays he can be heard from there. He wacks the heck out of the keyboard. He is a lot louder of a player.
I think most folk are tone deaf. Darn good thing for me..Cool thing about the towers... no one knows it YOU....hey me no I am just the cleaning lady....
You can PM me if you want. the others on this thread are gonna get bored with my happy tail.
Back to Afred's... I am thinking of messing around with some blues pieces on bells that I have learned on piano. With me its all bells....piano is a door to the big toys....mew mew mew...who me...(grins) we chose a living place in Kansas by how close it is to the tower there,any new shows,no towers no me.

1silkyferret
I had to google carillon to even know what it is... how you decide you wanted to play the carillon
Go to the "CAst in Bronze"website. I met Frank years ago...he caught me in a weak moment.

Zing...now your an addict. You asked.

Page 121 of 452 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission