2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
51 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 8 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
jmarch Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Good 'morning', all!

Finally pulled the trigger on a new RD-700NX and I'm finding new things I like about it every day! But anyway...

Despite it not being a lightweight, my intentions are to haul it to church in my car each week because what I have to play there is woefully insufficient at this point.

My question is, due to the length, weight, and unique profile of the RD-700NX, can anyone recommend a bag or case for short, careful travel?

I won't have to carry it too far: off the stand, down one flight of stairs, and about 20 feet to the car. Once arriving, about 150 feet from car, up three small steps, in a door, and onto the stand. I don't think I *need* wheels; but whatever I go with has to be "easily" carried/lifted by one person.

Thanks in advance so much!

Last edited by jmarch; 11/05/12 09:46 AM.
I just recently bought, for the exact same purpose, this one:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GK88/

It works moderately well. I have yet to right my review on it... long story short: its good for moving it from your usual playing place to church (or another gig) but its not for throwing it unattended and putting weight on top of it. Its also for careful travel and not asking another person to transport it. The wheels are really comfortable, but the side handle is too long for me to carry comfortably specially up and down stairs. Due to weight and length, two people are ideal in such situations (but it can be done by one person!).

The price was right for me at this point and that is what swayed the scale.
Rafa.

Last edited by RafaPolit; 11/05/12 07:05 PM.

Roland FP-7F
V
V
Another proposal could be something like that:
http://www.thomann.de/gr/gator_tsa_88slxl_keyboardcase.htm

Being a "recent" owner of RD-700NX, I have been thinking of a case like that, even though I do not move the stage piano more than 2-3 times per year. Currently, I have a "rockbag" soft case, but the zipper is not working properly, thus making it not a safe way of moving the instrument. Anyway, I think it is too heavy to carry it for long distances and having a case with wheels will definitely solve this problem as well.

George

Current equipment: Korg pa4X | Roland RD700NX | KRK RP6-G2 | Midas MR18
J
jmarch Offline OP
OP Offline
J
The GK-88 from Gator indeed seems to be a good fit! My only concern is that websites show it it weigh over 20 pounds. Add, of course, the Roland, and that's 75 pounds down a flight of stairs by myself!

Is the GKB-88, weighing in at only 7 pounds, viable? Or should I just suck it up and build some upper arm muscle?

Thanks!

jmarch, I'll weigh mine tomorrow as I'm taking my DP to a wedding I'm singing in... but I'm sure there are some discrepancies: sweetwater lists it in one place as 28 pounds and just below that at 21.

But, I believe the GKB-88 will end up being heavier! (not in real weight, let me explain):
- The GK-88 is rigid, has wheels, and a side and top handle. It also has a frame that supports the back of the piano. So, you can actually put it down, rest, slide it. You have several options for it.
- the GKB-88 is just a bag, so you will have to pull the whole weight with your arm the entire time! Also, there is no protection on those bags (I have a smaller one for the 61 keyboards we have at the studio) and the protections is almost non-existent. Your Roland will be doing all the work: if you get it inside the car, its the actual DP that will provide the support in only a few places, instead of the frame that does the work on the GK-88. I really wouldn't use that for my expensive DP.

Of course, that is just my preference smile

Good luck,
Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
M
M
There's no solution without drawbacks.

IMO wheels are a necessity. You can use a hand truck and bungee cords which may be adequate for your situation. Getting a big 88 around tight corners takes some maneuvering. Pivot and slide as much as possible, and try to avoid lifting.

For my FP-7F, which is a couple of inches shorter than the RD700NX, I use a rather heavy but hardy and well-padded Kaces KKP-15KB which fits my instrument perfectly though it isn't cheap.

jmarch, as offered, I weighted my GK-88 before taking my FP-7F to the event and it really does weigh 22 pounds (10Kg). I stand by all of what I said before though, and its rigidness proved very useful for carrying it by two up a very narrow spiral staircase on the church where the wedding was held.

Rafa.

Roland FP-7F
Originally Posted by jmarch
The GK-88 from Gator indeed seems to be a good fit! My only concern is that websites show it it weigh over 20 pounds. Add, of course, the Roland, and that's 75 pounds down a flight of stairs by myself!

Is the GKB-88, weighing in at only 7 pounds, viable? Or should I just suck it up and build some upper arm muscle?

Thanks!

No kidding. My church has this exact same keyboard and hauling it to and from the buildings always takes two people. It's really HEAVY....

Last edited by Bane; 11/11/12 10:45 PM.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
J
jmarch Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the advice, all.

I went with the GK-88 and, 20 pounds that it is along with the 55 pound Roland, I was suprised that I could get it into the bag, around some tight turns, and even down (and up!) the stairs myself by just taking it slowly.

Given all the bumping that is going to happen over the years moving the thing up, down, over, and through, not going with a lesser bag-style case certainly was the right choice.

Thanks again for all your help!

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission