2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 7 invisible), 2,166 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 281 of 540 1 2 279 280 281 282 283 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
My AotW: I received a phone call from a national TV channel (www.tvi.iol.pt) because they are planning a serie of 10 episodes to tell the story of 10 "amateur musicians". They saw my video on YT and they want to do the second episode with me...

OMG, this is getting serious...
I accepted smile

Wow, Carlos, that is really special! What a wonderful honor and opportunity. Congratulations!!

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, Carlos, this all has become a pretty amazing chain of events for you! Congratulations!!!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, good luck with your teacher interviews. I predict that you're going to progress in leaps and bounds once you start with a teacher.

Carlos, you never know where life in going to take you. This sure is exciting!

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Wow Carlos! That's awesome!!! If they make you play live on TV, is that something you'd be comfortable with?

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
My AOTW is that my teacher assigned me Moonlight Sonata. (Okay, so it's just the first page or so for this week) The list of graded pieces shows that as a level 8 piece so I've made some improvement here.

I've played in the past but just started working at it hard in the last 18 months, so being assigned this piece makes me feel that I'm making progress. The MOYD thread has helped me a lot.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Oongawa
My AOTW is that my teacher assigned me Moonlight Sonata. (Okay, so it's just the first page or so for this week) The list of graded pieces shows that as a level 8 piece so I've made some improvement here.

I've played in the past but just started working at it hard in the last 18 months, so being assigned this piece makes me feel that I'm making progress. The MOYD thread has helped me a lot.

That's a good achievement Ooongawa!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll, good luck with your teacher interviews. I predict that you're going to progress in leaps and bounds once you start with a teacher.

I am sure that I will MaryBee if I can find the right teacher. There seems to be a lot of piano "teachers" in this area that really should seek another occupation. Some who are very accomplished players but sadly lacking in skills to teach piano.

On the other hand, some excellent ones (which I cannot afford). Some I could afford if they didn't require 6 months up front. To me it's a nightmare because what if they turn out to be unsuitable in 2 months for whatever reason? Some only teach group lessons, some only classical training. I could write a book about my search but I'll spare all of you. Thanks for the encouraging words MaryBee. Suffice it to say it's like trying to find a new Doctor. smile

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OMG, this is getting serious... I accepted smile

CarlosCC... THIS IS HUGE! I hope that it will somehow be available for viewing here in the USA. How exciting for you. wow

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Congrats Oongawa, that's a great AOTW. MOYD was/is helpful to me as well for motivation to do some piano every day.

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - a freshly tuned piano, compliments from the tuner and a hunt for a new teacher. I wish you all the best in your search. I am so happy with my new teacher ...well, not so new any more, but I'm still really happy -- Good luck!

Oongawa- that's great progress! It is pretty exciting to be working on such a gorgeous piece.

Carlos... I am beyond words! Someday we'll be able to say we knew you before you were famous! Do keep us posted on this new phase of your adventures!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
CarlosCC SUPERSTAR, that is so cool!

[Linked Image]

My AotW: I received a phone call from a national TV channel (www.tvi.iol.pt) because they are planning a serie of 10 episodes to tell the story of 10 "amateur musicians". They saw my video on YT and they want to do the second episode with me...

I accepted smile

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
CarlosCC....that is like the AOTW of all AOTWs! That's crazy wonderful! I hope we get to see that the episode online somewhere

Adult beginner since January 2013. My only regret is that I didn't learn sooner.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well done Carlos! yippie

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
CarlosCC congratulations on another positive to your rising star. I am sure the TV viewers will enjoy the music, and the touching story about your mom, and her recent passing. Yours is a one-in-a-million piano beginner story, an adult with no teacher, playing as if you have been doing it all your life after only a very few years. I am glad to be able to hear about it and watch bits of it unfold.

Week 88: I go to Songmakers. I missed two meetings so it has been six months. I lead a sing-a-long of my recital piece A Thousand Years. I do much, much better than any previous attempts, though am still a bit shaky. I still lose my way at times. At one point, I falter and tell them to stop singing and let me catch up. I play my host's 1990 era Roland D20. Seven months of practice on a simple arrangement of a pop song likely helps me too.

I also play my prior recital piece Avenue D. That piece has come a long way since I submitted it three months ago. The ink was only a week dry in August. With three months of polish and practice, it is light years ahead of where it was. Some ask about the title. Like the music, sometimes the titles just come to me, and they often stick. For instrumentals, titles sometimes reveal something about the composer.

The hosts have a new dog, a very calm dog that they rescued. There is a visitor with a bag full of harmonicas. Not sure if he has 24 different for all the possible keys, but it looks like it.

My third piece is as a whistle tune that I struggle through because I haven't been playing that instrument. I wanted to try and practice in front of a crowd because I will be doing the same piece in two weeks in a more formal setting. It did not go well, I hope it goes better next time.

I talk to the host's wife about her piano lessons. She is using Alfred's Adult All-in-One book. She took a break for three months because of vacation and her mom being sick and her tending to her. The new dog likely does not help with any time crunch.

Have a good week everyone. I may skip next week's update. I am sure a lot of folks will drop off the forum and then come back in, because of the upcoming holidays.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I, for one, would love to hear an updated recording of Avenue D. It would be great to hear how it has come along!

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I accepted smile

Thank you ALL for your words. I knew you would enjoy the news. smile

After I got the call I was in silent for some minutes thinking about the invitation... I have no idea how the episode will be done, but I will make a point of mentioning the PianoWorld community and all the friends I have here.

aTallGuyNH, SwissMS, and EdwardianPiano: Thanks! thumb

Jotur, Sam Rose, Ragdoll, and ElleC: Don't worry. I'll try to share the episode with my friends: YOU! Thanks!

tangleweeds: It's true. I never thought so much could happen so quickly. I do not know why, but I did not force anything... Things are just happening.

MaryBee: Yes, very exciting, indeed! Thanks!

casinitaly: C'mon, you know me. I prefer to be CarlosCC in PW than a "famous" guy in TV; that means nothing to me. You know that I'm just an amateur who enjoy playing piano. smile

JimF: I love your GIFTs! Look at my new signature! THANKS!

Sand Tiger: I'm sure there are TONS of adult beginners better than me - look at our recitals! -. I'm miles away of what some of PW members know about music, and what they can do with a piano. I'm a true beginner. I'm happy to be able to learn with PW members. Thank you.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
aTallguyinNH, unfortunately, I don't have much time these days so a new recording of Avenue D isn't likely any time soon.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ragdoll - a freshly tuned piano, compliments from the tuner and a hunt for a new teacher. I wish you all the best in your search.

Oh thank you cas. I may have to go on a wait list with one of them. That is if I decide to go with her. I'll post again if/when I find a teacher. Maybe before then if the interviews are erm, well, unique or oddly interesting. grin

Ragdoll

[Linked Image]
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Moving on to my third and final exam piece after having mastered the first two

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Carlos, that is so wonderful. I can say I nearly met you one time in Portugal. Who knows maybe I'll come there to listen to you play next time!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Page 281 of 540 1 2 279 280 281 282 283 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission