2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I would be concerned about your usb hub as well. It's possible that you get less crashes with the 1.0 hub because it is slower and your computer can keep up with it(just an idea). I would not continue to use a 1.0 hub. Both midi and audio need constant streaming. Having both on a single usb controller is probably not a good idea.

How-ever, I would try to get reaper going with your USB 2.0 hub or no hub, just direct. Put together some tracks with your keyboard only plugged in. Close Reaper, unplug your keyboard, plug in your mic, restart Reaper and see how that records. It should work.

What do you use to listen to your computer audio? What AUDIO DEVICE?

Last edited by emenelton; 11/12/12 06:19 PM.
T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
at the moment, I listen back to audio on the Behringer mixer - it works both ways simultaneously. Infact that works ok. What does not work well is the analogue to USB which is its most important function as far a I'm concerned.

but I'm just feeling my way here. In fact, self-synch monitoring while recording is completely impossible with this set up because, even if the system didn't crash with the duplex running, there is such big time lag that you'd be completely thrown.

...blue screen said: driver 64 ST (something like that)

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Reaper is very nice, but it has a midi sync problem - when monitoring the keyboard directly through Reaper, there is between 0.5 and 1.0 second delay. I've looked in the manual and cannot find a reason for this. All buffering settings concern audio, not midi, of course.

I cannot understand why there should be such a time lag with midi - maybe I'm doing something stupid, but I don't know what. Help** (This problem does not occur at all with MSI).

....this is turning out to be a saga, which I fear is only just beginning......here we go again.

Last edited by toddy; 11/13/12 11:19 AM.

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by toddy
it works both ways simultaneously. Infact that works ok. What does not work well is the analogue to USB

Toddy,

The above statement contradicts itself.

Please confirm in your audio device properties in Reaper(you are using Reaper I assume), that you've chosen the Behringer ASIO driver.
For now , also, please make sure that you have your behringer mixer only plugged directly into the USB port on your computer.

T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by emenelton
Originally Posted by toddy
it works both ways simultaneously. Infact that works ok. What does not work well is the analogue to USB

Toddy,

The above statement contradicts itself.

Yes, it does. What I meant was digital to analogue from the computer works well - and the various analogue inputs also work well - to the analogue output monitor. But analogue to USB does not function well because of the poor signal to noise ratio.

Please confirm in your audio device properties in Reaper(you are using Reaper I assume), that you've chosen the Behringer ASIO driver.
For now , also, please make sure that you have your behringer mixer only plugged directly into the USB port on your computer.

Yes. But if I do that, I will have no midi to/from the computer.

Last edited by toddy; 11/13/12 11:48 AM.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Toddy,

I understand about your midi needs, how-ever I thought that if you got to a point that your system recorded and played back without crashing, that that would be a starting point.
Your mixer is considered to be good. It should also record well.

For now plug the analogues from your keyboard into your mixer and record analogue. You might not want to do that as a goal, but if you can accomplish that, it will be a significant first step. Also, the latency you mentioned while using your midi is a 'normal' characteristic, I am not saying that when your system is finally up and running that you will still have that, but that is a different 'catagory' of a problem to address. I would recommend focusing on your usb mixer only and accomplishing one step at a time.

T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Right. I will try what you're suggesting. I'll tell you what happened later.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
toddy

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4959574

This is an interesting thread where you can read about users opinions on the midi implementation of various 'daws'.

Reaper gets good grades. It seems FL Studio is a favorite with Logic being perhaps the best.

T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
The upshot of the above (system crashes, Reaper timing errors with midi/audio, poor sound quality with Berhinger analogue audio to usb mixer) is that, after a complete Windows 7 re-installation, EVERYTHING works fine now.

But to get good quality (and indeed stereo) using the Berhinger audio to USB device, you need to specify in Windows audio device management that you are using a 2 channel input device at 44kHz or higher. The problem is, windows assumes that the USB audio input is a (mono) microphone, unless you specify otherwise.

Now that the latency problems with Reaper are sorted (using ASIO4ALL) the program is fine for midi recording - although it's not always intuitive, by any means. But support and forum activity is healthy.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Wow, congrats for keeping at it!
Good news.

T
toddy Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Emenelton, your advice helped a lot, so thank you! smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission