2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1985166 11/10/12 10:37 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
I was a musicology major ... It makes sense to me why certain people don't like theory all that much, I mean it exists even in higher levels ... but it makes me sad. What do you do about it if it's a kid?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Music theory is a lot like math. A lot of people hate math. And it's not how theory is presented or taught, either. Some people will hate music theory NO MATTER WHAT--even if you are the most interesting teacher in the world using the most interesting theory textbook.

Just accept it. Pick your battles.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nannerl Mozart
I was a musicology major ... It makes sense to me why certain people don't like theory all that much, I mean it exists even in higher levels ... but it makes me sad. What do you do about it if it's a kid?

Has the kid been introduced to theory before, and maybe in a way that made him (her) dislike it? How are you introducing it? Somebody mentioned choice of textbooks. Must textbooks be involved?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
No, textbooks do not need to be involved, but there are VERY good theory books for kids and VERY bad theory books for kids.

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
The student I am talking about is a ten year old. If you ever watch the tv show "Modern Family" he is like Manny - he talks like an adult, has this cool style kind of attitude ... that wise child character. It's hard to give him an incentive since he doesn't like stickers. This kid is on John Thompson book 2, and the theory book he is on is an Australian book called "Blitz your theory" - It's good for kids, and his on the first book. The theory is very basic, it just involves him filling out worksheets on note naming, drawing treble clefs, placing the bar lines in the right places. They are simple worksheets, I don't get him to do much. I'd happily teach him some composition to make it interesting or even analyse his music with him ... but I'd just like him to get the basics right. I have him fill out 1 page a week, there is a girl who is a few years younger than him who does 2-5 pages a week, I'm not trying to compare the two, it's obvious that the latter girl likes theory, but I wonder if I should ditch the workbook completely and teach by concept.

AZN piano that's true, some people really hate theory, thing is I used to really hate theory until it was well taught ... I wonder if the way I'm teaching it is rather boring.

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
He would dislike Gil de Benedetti's theory printable pages more than the book you're using ?
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html

They combine "lesson", examples, written exercises and to-try-at-keyboard exercises in a very nice, 'adult' way. Definitely appealing for a knowledge geek. Maybe give him the Privilege, not the Chore to explore these ;-)

Originally Posted by Nannerl Mozart
... but I wonder if I should ditch the workbook completely and teach by concept.

Your last sentence was my first thought.

Here is what I see. You have an intelligent, mature, thinking student. You have been interested in theory once it was taught in a good way, probably with it becoming meaningful - from your blog alone you seem a thinking, creative type of person and so well suited to the student you described. But in this description, your student is "on John Thompson" and he "is on" a theory book, filling out pages. Why not teach him theory, rather than have him fill out workbooks? You have the fascination - can you share it with him?

The theory is very basic, it just involves him filling out worksheets on note naming, drawing treble clefs, placing the bar lines in the right places.

What is it that you think the workbooks are teaching? Will he need the skill of drawing a treble clef (which is sort of a calligraphy lesson), or is it for him to recognize the clef and know its function? Note naming - so this is for recognizing the notes in written music, and hopefully relating those notes to piano notes so that he can read the music? Can you teach those things from other angles? Bar lines in the right places - you mean so that in a 3/4 signature he would place the bar lines in such a way that you'll have 3 beats within each of them? Can this be made real with music - maybe things he can create with you?

What is his attitude to music and piano in general? Are there things he is enthusiastic about or at least likes? I'm trying some brainstorming type ideas. Theory is part of music, but it is treated like a separate abstract on-paper exercise. It should be possible to draw one from the other, and some teachers I know have done that. The person I taught was an adult, but we began theory with concrete things involving the piano, listening, and exploring, and only did paperwork afterward.

I'd happily teach him some composition to make it interesting or even analyse his music with him ... but I'd just like him to get the basics right.

Do you think that you could draw the basics out of one of these two things?

N
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
N
See the thing is KS, I think he should be familiar with writing treble clefs, writing notes in the grand stave - having hand writing that is legible on the stave. I normally don't rely on the theory book to teach my students - for most students it works like this: We work on technique and repertoire (separately but also seamlessly - in the sense that we work on scales which is something that is purely technical, but I make sure that they apply what they learn from their scales to their playing) and if there is something that needs working on (e.g. a student was accentuating the wrong beats of every bar, so we talked about time signatures, meter and pulse, I talked about it conceptually with her, we draw the note value tree together. I play to her how something should sound like and how something should sound like and get her to pick the right one.) I use the textbook to reinforce what I have taught - I get the student to fill out exercises so that they remember and understand the concept thoroughly.

When I brought up the topic 'theory' to this kid, he said to me he hated it because he hated doing worksheets and he said that theory was pointless ... he whinged about it and threw a mild tantrum.

Well, maybe theory via worksheets does feel pointless. How does it relate to music? If he sees a use for theory, and a relationship to music, then you have him on board. Then the next step is for him to find a way to learn the things that need learning since he is a thinker. Your idea of composition goes in that direction. Or just plain ordinary --- You need to become able to write notes on the staff, to be able to draw a treble clef: find a way to learn these and show me next week so that you don't have to use a workbook. Or - if the student is to remember what you taught - what can he do to remember it? If he is independent, can you use that?

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by ROMagister
He would dislike Gil de Benedetti's theory printable pages more than the book you're using ?
http://www.gmajormusictheory.org/Fundamentals/workbooks.html

They combine "lesson", examples, written exercises and to-try-at-keyboard exercises in a very nice, 'adult' way. Definitely appealing for a knowledge geek. Maybe give him the Privilege, not the Chore to explore these ;-)

Thank you for sharing this website!

I became aware of that site a while back, and the person doing it seems quite serious. He also does advanced things like learning to transcribe what you hear (and to hear). He keeps adding and improving, and for a year there were updates if you subscribe. I seem to remember that he has had to limit that now - can't remember the details. It's a good site that is rich in material.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I am throwing this out there...could it be he hates writing? Any writing? What does his penmanship look like?

Can his theory be done on a computer?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by MaggieGirl
I am throwing this out there...could it be he hates writing? Any writing? What does his penmanship look like?

Can his theory be done on a computer?

Now, THAT should improve his penmanship AND his writing!

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
T
T
Sorry to hear your student hates theory even though you're using the Blitz book with him - I love that series and find it much less dry than most other theory series.

Private piano teacher since 2003
Member:
ASME (Australian Society for Music Education),
ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand Cultural Arts),
KMEIA (Kodály Music Education Institute of Australia).
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Handwriting difficulty can be disgraphia. My best friend's son has this and no matter how much practice and help with an OT he did, his writing never improved.

There are many factors for poor writing. Laziness and not enough practice are rarely the issue.

Is the purpose to learn theory or to struggle with penmanship?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Is the purpose to learn theory or to struggle with penmanship?

Like it or not, children need to learn to function in the real world. If it is an either/or situation, then the kid better spend his time learning to write properly.

Theory, by its very nature, IS a high verbal skill, and is demonstrated primarily in reasoning and writing. Just philosophically, if a kid is not developmentally ready to write, is s/he really ready for music theory?

[[ OK, KeyString, I am prepared for the BLAST! ]]

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If the student does not like theory on paper, but excels doing it on a computer is that skill less valuable?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
If the student does not like theory on paper, but excels doing it on a computer is that skill less valuable?

It's like cursive writing. Should schools still teach cursive writing, in this day and age when everybody types?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L

Exactly how would that work? The rudiments that Nannerl Mozart is describing are asking the student to draw the G and F clefs. Soon, they will be requiring the drawing of various value notes and rests, sharps and flats. Perhaps a nice CAD, or desktop publishing program?

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

It's like cursive writing. Should schools still teach cursive writing, in this day and age when everybody types?

In my opinion, an emphatic YES! Part of development is learning to form letters, numbers, and shapes - by hand. By doing so, it INTERNALIZES those symbolic objects, and the repetition makes them OWNED by the individual. The use of these symbols, created with the crudest tools, allows the individual to communicate at the highest of levels. It's sort of magic.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission