2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 452 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 451 452
Loly, the cover says 'Play Piano Now-Alfreds Basic Adult Piano Course'. As far as I can tell it has pretty much the same song list as the other two series of books, just not as many. It has alot of away from the piano material as well as sight reading exercises. Im going to follow it until the end of book three then pick up with the all in one course on whatever song my series cuts out on, probably somewhere in the all in one's book two.
To John, hang in there, youre doing great-youre past wehre I am!

Have a nice day
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ya zoso, it is different in the way that you say it is.

if you know what songs you're missing out of the book 2 I can post them up for you. that way you won't have to buy the book just for those few songs.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Thanks Loly, I'll let you know when Im getting close, it could be awhile though as Im staying on each lesson to really absorb it.

Have a nice day
VJ. Offline
Pals! I bought Alfred's course beginner book in Amazon. Mine did not come with CD. Is there any way to buy only the CD? Are there any websites which sell only the CD?

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by John WI:
Mark737

Thanks for asking. I am kind of a drop out from this board (and my desire for piano has dimmed).

I was in the Alfred Adult All-In-One Course. I liked it, and can relate to a lot of these posts. However, as I neared the end of the book, I was just overwhelmed (just a bit past p. 100). I just couldn't seem to get it any more.

I told my teacher that I wanted to start over with another book. My theory being that I wanted to review what I had already learned but do it in a slightly different form. We chose Nancy and Randall Faber's Adult Piano Adventures.

It's going so-so. I think I started too late in life (age 58 -- no previous music experience) and am not practicing enough (not enough time). But, I still go to lessons weekly and practice when I can, but not daily. Now that Lent and Easter are over, I'll have more time to practice -- I hope. We'll see.
I don't think its ever too late. Its just about having the time to practice. Making it to page 100 was excellent. The songs at the end get tough so I expect it to take some time. Let us know how you make out with the new program.

Mark

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
John WI - your learning style seems to be like mine - go until I hit something way over my head (or, as I do, start with something way over my head), try for a little while, and then go back and nail the stuff I've been learning - as you say, consolidate. I call it learning in spirals. I have lately, for some reason, started going thru a transition of some sort which I haven't figured out yet, and it's involved *lots* more piano playing, but for sure for adults finding the time is problematic. But it's the *learning* that's fun, and frankly, it never occurs to me it's taken a couple of years to learn something that it might have taken someone else 2 weeks to learn - I've just had so much fun, and while I'm learning time stops. As I said in another thread - it's a good thing I've got a quarter of a century left to live, because I've got a quarter of a century worth of things left to learn on the piano! More - so now I'll have something to do in my next life laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Vijay:
Pals! I bought Alfred's course beginner book in Amazon. Mine did not come with CD. Is there any way to buy only the CD? Are there any websites which sell only the CD?
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Mark

VJ. Offline
Originally posted by Mark737:
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Mark
Thank you Mark. Let me dig and find it out.

Hi. How is everyone doing in the book now? I'm playing through Amazing Grace, and I really love the arrangement. It's better than I think I should be able to play. Really, really gorgeous. How's everyone doing?

I ordered this book a few days ago and I am SO ANXIOUS waiting for it, but I wanted to get the version with the CD so I had to order it from some little weird website.

How many of you used this book on your own without a teacher? Where you able to learn on your own with it?

VJ. Offline
Originally posted by pixie purls:
I ordered this book a few days ago and I am SO ANXIOUS waiting for it, but I wanted to get the version with the CD so I had to order it from some little weird website.

How many of you used this book on your own without a teacher? Where you able to learn on your own with it?
Yes. You are right. I also order the CD and Midi Dics from an unknown website. Since I am also a beginner using this book, I'd also like to get the expericences of other people with this book.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
[b] I ordered this book a few days ago and I am SO ANXIOUS waiting for it, but I wanted to get the version with the CD so I had to order it from some little weird website.

Yes. You are right. I also order the CD and Midi Dics from an unknown website. Since I am also a beginner using this book, I'd also like to get the expericences of other people with this book. [/b]
I started with this book as a self teacher while I was looking for a teacher. It took me a couple of months to find a teacher and I moved through book one at a good clip for a while...page 55 ish. Then things slowed down. More difficult pieces. When I started lessons at the end of February. We went over my work up to page 70ish. She needed to correct some errors I was making and has helped me with a lot of issues I didn't see. We have been cleaning up everything up to Scarsbough Fair and I expect we are now ready to proceed with the rest of the book.

Can you do this alone? Yes, but you can miss some nuances of the learning curve without a teacher...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by nrrdgrrl:
Hi. How is everyone doing in the book now? I'm playing through Amazing Grace, and I really love the arrangement. It's better than I think I should be able to play. Really, really gorgeous. How's everyone doing?
You are just about done with book one. Well done! How long have you been working on it and are you going to use book 2?

Mark

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
nrrdgrrl wrote

btw, this is my first post. I've been a lurker since I started playing the piano, which was in July of last year.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
ohhh mark, book 2 is so easy so far.

fabers book 2 for adults is a bit more difficult, i'm on swing low sweet chariot and it's all chord inversions. yikes alfreds doesn't go into chord inversion till later in the book but then alfreds has book 3 while faber doesn't.

VJ. Offline
Today I got my Alfred's level 1 CD and MIDI disks. I am in page 35 now. I have a question lingering in my mind.

I know I am a bit slow in note reading. I can practice (am practicing) to learn piano myself by using Alfred's All-in-one level 1 book for around 1 hour everyday. If I go at this pace, how long will it take to complete Book 1 comprehensively?

Please advise.

Oh good luck Vljay! I'm still waitng for mine and have done some online tutorials in the mean time.

VJ. Offline
Oh good luck Vljay! I'm still waitng for mine and have done some online tutorials in the mean time.
Thanks Pixie. As per my research wink , all good online tutorials are based on Alfred's adult Book. Good luck for you too, Buddy.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Today I got my Alfred's level 1 CD and MIDI disks. I am in page 35 now. I have a question lingering in my mind.

I know I am a bit slow in note reading. I can practice (am practicing) to learn piano myself by using Alfred's All-in-one level 1 book for around 1 hour everyday. If I go at this pace, how long will it take to complete Book 1 comprehensively?

Please advise.
Everyone's abilities are different. And Alfreds songs do get increasingly more demanding. I'd say a mimimum of 8 monthe to a year or more...

VJ. Offline
Originally posted by Mark737:
Everyone's abilities are different. And Alfreds songs do get increasingly more demanding. I'd say a mimimum of 8 monthe to a year or more...
Thanks for the reply Mark. This statistic will be helpful for me to define short term piano goals.

Page 6 of 452 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission