2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
I own a CA95 and there is no hum noise ! So you should get yours replaced or fixed ; )

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I would suggest to search for the source first, could turn out to be something very simple in the end (acoustic resonance, power supply that touches something and when separated/isolated the hum is gone). If your can't find , or fix it yourself - have someone take a look at it - must be an easy fixable problem and I would be very surprised if the whole unit needs to be replaced just for the hum noise. Especially if the rest of the DP is totally to our liking - keep it and have it fixed.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Spend $4000 on a defective unit, and then have to fix it yourself? Not me. That's what the warranty is for.

M
M
Sorry for my english is not good.
Sometimes other electric using equipments make electirical noise.(fans ,microwaves,some bulbs,elevators ).Fans with frekans invertor give electircal noise back to circuit and makes noise all sound systems.We are dealing with these systems on building automation systems.Ä°n a 5* hotel after putting a frekans invertor to a fan ,all anfi's started to make noise even 100 mt aways.When we closed invertor all noise disappears.After we installed high capacity filter (electrical) all sound problems solved.
You must check all your electic using equipments maybe your neigbours.
I'm also planning my first real digital piano and thinking CA 65.Now using Yamaha DGX 640.But your sound problem third in ca 65/95 series in these forum and up to these time no solution appears.I started going away from CA 's.But where I don't know

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Spend $4000 on a defective unit, and then have to fix it yourself? Not me. That's what the warranty is for.

I spent €14,800 for my N3. The pedal harp was not correctly installed ... and the movers made the same error I might have made. I spent a few minutes under the piano, realized what I had to do, and did it. I could have called the dealer who was about an hour away but I did the work myself and mailed my suggestion to the Yamaha tech in Germany for future reference.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
D
D
KAWAI Man....seems there's always some of US who get stuck...trying to fix our keyboards. I have the new Kurzweil SP4-88, marvelous sounds...had trouble twice and had to mail it back and forth to Mississippi(Memphis area...), as of two months ago---attention is directed to the Middle C area---the D # or E flat has dropped out! ....yes, can you imagine...if I open full the Volumne control...you can hear a distant 'muted' thud, have never taken it out on a gig, afraid too! ....so, we all get stuck...just about two years old. Will have to try and contact Kurzweil at Woodlawn Hills, CA or donate to a 50lC-3 for taX purposes; hopefully we can get it repaired...the Kurzweil People are not 'existent' at Waltham, Massachusetts ??...at least- I thought I'd make you feel good, if nothing else. Mr. Kawai was hired away to Yamaha many years ago...I guess, he was as good as Ray Kurzweil....dSav(Maine)

D
OP Offline
D

I'm also planning my first real digital piano and thinking CA 65.Now using Yamaha DGX 640.But your sound problem third in ca 65/95 series in these forum and up to these time no solution appears.I started going away from CA 's.But where I don't know

The Kawai CA 95 is realy a beautiful piano. Impressive pianosamples, very nice keyboard, great speakersystem and a good looking cabinet. Just try it, and judge for your self. It would be a pitty if you miss such a beautiful piano just because some problem stories, mine included smile I'am sure the problem with the electric hum will be solved by Kawai. I have spoken to the dealer already and he will come by at my house to listen to the hum. Then he will send a Kawai technician. Ofcourse I hope when a transformer has to be replaced, that it can be done on the spot.

M
M
Have worked on many humming problems in electronics. But not piano's. Transformers can have noise issues. Transformers are epoxied to stop noise and can break loose from there bond. The other parts can cause this is a leaky Capacitor and/or a regulator. Which will loosen the bond on the transformer after time. Post back on what the tech finds. You can put a small peace of wood up against the transformer (there might be more than one) with little pressure and listen to a change. Your tech will do this if he has the experience w PCB repair.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Cool, have it fixed. That's easier and more convenient than a replacement . Good luck, j

Hi Dutch Dhamma - has this been fixed now?

I also notice a hum from my new CA65 and would like to know your outcome. If it is fixable, I might mention this to my dealer.

I believe you are correct that it is a transformer noise; it comes from the right hand side of the piano - which is where the power cord plugs in - and is only present when it is turned on, and is still there if you plug headphones in.

Cheers

Alan

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Dutch Dhamma
Now my question to other owners of the Kawai CA 95. Do you also hear an electric hum around the piano, or coming from the inside of the piano? Please press your ear flat on the topshelf of the cabinet on the left or right side, near the topspeakers, to hear if IT is there.

@Dutch Dhamma,

I have a CA95 and do not have the hum or sound you mention here, although it is unfortunate to see more owners (i.e., "DrAlan" on the previous page) coming forward to report the issue with their CA65's.

Looks like there may be a batch of CA65's that have this problem.

Perhaps Kawai should check this out now, before more are sold?

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by DrAlan
I also notice a hum from my new CA65 and would like to know your outcome.

Hi Alan,
Coming friday the dealer is coming to my house. That seems to be the procedure. If the dealer acknowledge the complaint he will make contact with Kawai and then they will send a technician. The hum in my piano is good to hear on the left side as well on the right side. I realy like my Kawai CA 95, this is the only drawback. But I stay optimistic that everything will work out fine. I will keep you informed.

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by pv88

I have a CA95 and do not have the hum or sound you mention here, although it is unfortunate to see more owners coming forward to report the issue with their CA65's. Looks like there may be a batch of CA65's that have this problem. Perhaps Kawai should check this out now, before more are sold?

I agree. Digital piano's in this price range should not have 'humming transformators'. I don't understand how these piano's left the factory being unnoticed by people who perform quality checks. Maybe Kawai James can bring this subject under their attention smile

I also notice a hum from my new CA65 and would like to know your outcome.

The hum in my piano is good to hear on the left side as well on the right side. I realy like my Kawai CA 95, this is the only drawback. But I stay optimistic that everything will work out fine. I will keep you informed.

Hi . . Yes I've just checked an mine is also present left and right. It is also there a fraction of a second after you turn the power off, which suggest to me it isn't the transformer but rather mains hum amplified by the final stages of the power amplifier driving the speakers, which isn't picked up by the headphone amplifier. If it were mechanical hum from the transformer, it would stop the instant you cut the power.

It isn't a massive nuisance, but like others I feel it is disappointing and shouldn't be like that. My 15 year old hi fi amp has no hum whatsoever ......

Alan

D
OP Offline
D
Yes I've just checked an mine is also present left and right. It is also there a fraction of a second after you turn the power off, which suggest to me it isn't the transformer but rather mains hum amplified by the final stages of the power amplifier driving the speakers, which isn't picked up by the headphone amplifier. If it were mechanical hum from the transformer, it would stop the instant you cut the power.It isn't a massive nuisance, but like others I feel it is disappointing and shouldn't be like that.

I still think the problem is caused by the transformator. Because when I plug in my headphones, the main amplifier is not in function, or at least not in full power. When using headphones the Hum is still there. But I could be wrong. I'am sure a Kawai technician will come up with the right answer and solution.

S
S
No hum from my CA65. Only if I put my ear in contact with the DP can I hear the faint sound of the transformer.Definately not audible just sitting in front.

Kawai CA65
I still think the problem is caused by the transformator. Because when I plug in my headphones, the main amplifier is not in function, or at least not in full power. When using headphones the Hum is still there. But I could be wrong. I'am sure a Kawai technician will come up with the right answer and solution.

You could be right. I'd lay bets that the transformer is next to the power cord socket - there are two black screws on a diagonal there and it gets warm between them, and this is where the loudest hum is (press your ear up underneath the piano here!). Looks like this sound is resonating through the entire cabinet. Hope your engineer's visit results in a fix.

Cheers

Alan

P
P
Crack that sucker open and poke around in there yourself.

**LOL**

NOT!!

M
M
If it stays on after you turn-off the power switch then there is a good chance its the Transformer. It is made of a coil of wire making a magnetic field. Will take a second or two for the field to dissipate.

D
OP Offline
D
Last friday the Kawai dealer came to my house. He acknowledged the electric Hum and located the source of the Hum. It is coming from the transformator or closely connected device belonging to the transformator. In the CA 95 this thing stands on the interior bottom of the cabinet on the utter right side. Now he will make contact with Kawai in Germany. It is up to them to send a technician to repair the issue or to change the piano for a new one.
We also noticed that several keys of the GrandFeel keyboard are making more noise (landing on the bottom) then others. It is as if there is less damping or shock absorbing material under these keys.
With these two complaints I would not be surprised if Kawai decides to change this one for a new piano.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission