2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
When students ask about Saturdays, I tell them I don't teach on the weekend. I also have kept my Fridays free for personal days (which sometimes end up being make-up lesson days, but then that is my choice to do so). I have once in a while had a potential student inquire about Saturday lessons and when I told them I cannot do that, they did not sign up for lessons.

I don't feel bad about that, however, because I'm not going to please everyone, and over the years I've learned to preserve my weekends for family time. It's a personal choice, of course, but if the goal is to have your Saturdays free, I would ask your Saturday families if there is ANY other time during the week that is possible, even if that slot is currently filled with another student. If so, you may be able to reschedule that other student, as a favor to you (maybe offer them a free lesson to do it) so you can take that Saturday student then.

Once you do this, vow to not take a student that can only do Saturdays again. I think this is a better alternative to charging a different rate and will actually solve the problem (not wanting to teach on Saturdays) more directly.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Morodiene
When students ask about Saturdays, I tell them I don't teach on the weekend. I also have kept my Fridays free for personal days (which sometimes end up being make-up lesson days, but then that is my choice to do so). I have once in a while had a potential student inquire about Saturday lessons and when I told them I cannot do that, they did not sign up for lessons.

This is similar to what I do. I keep Fridays and Saturdays clear (no lessons). This gives me enough freedom to go somewhere on a Friday for an overnight.

When I found that a few folks REALLY wanted a Saturday, I decided that Sunday afternoons would work for me, and it has turned out to be a suitable alternative for them. I like to be home on Sundays anyway. And often Sunday afternoons my husband decides we should all do yard work. But now that I'm teaching, I get out of it. laugh

Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
Originally Posted by Morodiene

This is similar to what I do. I keep Fridays and Saturdays clear (no lessons). This gives me enough freedom to go somewhere on a Friday for an overnight.

When I found that a few folks REALLY wanted a Saturday, I decided that Sunday afternoons would work for me, and it has turned out to be a suitable alternative for them. I like to be home on Sundays anyway. And often Sunday afternoons my husband decides we should all do yard work. But now that I'm teaching, I get out of it. laugh

Thumbs up, I love breather days. smile

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you don't want to teach on Saturdays, don't teach on Saturdays.

$2 (?) more per lesson is not going to make you want to give up your free time, is it? And the resentment for giving up your free day is going to show at some point, me thinks.

Or would charging more just be gouging for those that want lessons with you but just cannot do it on a weekday due to parents working, etc?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not really fond of the term "gouging" as it's emotionally laden and pejorative and more often than not, an evaluation totally dependent upon the one-sided viewpoint of the user, ie, the eye of the beholder. Generally speaking, home school students have only one working parent (the other is doing the home schooling) so have a lower disposable income. But the students are often highly motivated, directed and make great students. By discounting their fees with the caveat that lessons are held when other students are tied up in schools, seems to serve many purposes. Few complain about this arrangement. Families with two working parents often only have free time on weekends, so it's understood why they would want weekend lessons for their children. But if you elect to teach on weekends, you give up much flexibility and opportunities for yourself which are only available on weekends. Why shouldn't you charge a premium for this service? By charging a premium for weekends, you put the monkey back on the parent to weigh their priorities. If money is an issue, can they realign their schedule so as to take lessons during the week?

When you charge a higher premium for select lesson times, it's a win-win situation. The family gets the time they want, and as they've tacitly agreed that you're worth what they're paying, they should be satisfied. Likewise, you're rewarded for the inconvenience you put up with teaching when you'd rather not.

Alternatively, you could have a lottery. It would be a win for the families who won the lottery, but a loss for you and a loss for those who now cannot study with you, because they were denied the option of paying more for your services.

Perhaps there's another solution which would present itself???

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I think it is helpful to start your studio with a written schedule of what days and times are available. Then you don't end up with 15 kids on Saturdays. You'll have set a reasonable schedule for yourself from the start.

If you have no schedule in mind and allow each newcomer to pick whatever day and time suits them, you can end up overwhelmed.

I agree that a small fee increase will not deter parents from Saturday lessons.

If you want fewer Saturday students, first stop accepting new students for Saturdays. And once current ones leave, do not open that time again. If you want faster change, then shorten your Saturday hours. You could say that beginning January 1, you will no longer be available to teach after 3 pm. Those whose lessons are later than 3 pm would need to find a new lesson time.

OTOH, I never heard you say you wanted fewer lessons on Saturdays. Just that the demand made it look like an opportunity to charge more. Do you really need more money that bad?

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 11/11/12 09:35 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
John's response makes perfect sense. It's not a question of gouging or needing more money "that bad," it's simple economics. Some parents are happy to pay for the convenience of in-home lessons or Saturday lessons. Why is it bad to structure our business in such a way to maximize our income?

For the OP, I would wait until a semester or year end to implement a rate change, giving your customers 2 month notice. You can then discount your lesser used times, or times you want to fill.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I personally would raise all rates, or none. Seeing that many families require Saturdays and therefore raising Saturday fees seems predatory to me. But others obviously see it as just good business.

Yes, we are used to hotels doubling their rates over the holidays. Doesn't mean we think it's fair. And it's not a common practice for a teacher to double weekend rates. It could work. Or backfire. Surely if your weekend rates are significantly higher than others in your area, you will lose business.

I'm curious to find out how high ez raises rates and what the parent response is. With a 50% increase many will look for another teacher.

In other words, the parents require Saturday lessons, but they do not require YOU as a teacher.

Last edited by Ann in Kentucky; 11/12/12 08:38 AM.
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
With a 50% increase many will look for another teacher.

Me too...

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
OTOH, I never heard you say you wanted fewer lessons on Saturdays. Just that the demand made it look like an opportunity to charge more. Do you really need more money that bad?

Yes, I do want to have fewer lessons on Saturdays. Ideally, I like to teach only 20% of my students on Saturdays. Currently I am teaching 36% of my students on Saturdays.

Maybe I should re-phrase my question to:
How to reduce from 36% to 20% teaching load on Saturdays?

Brainstorming:
1. Raise Saturday's rate by x%
2. Offer one time gift for parents who switch to weekdays
3. Establish a lottery system see who got Saturday's slot and move unlucky parents to weekdays
4. Establish an auction system for parents (parents who pay more will get Saturdays' slot)

Any other thoughts?

K
K
"I'm sorry but I won't be teaching on Saturdays except from X time to Y time after Z date. Those slots are currently booked, so we are going to need to find another time to have our lessons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

Raise your prices, however, and you'll probably lose more students than you want to free up. To be perfectly honest, you already charge on the higher end (as in, the absolute most I'd ever pay and most people I know would pay) for Irvine. If you charged more and I were taking lessons from you, I'd find another teacher without another thought. Quality education does deserve quality pay, but there are still limits at which most people are going to work. I'm glad you're able to have such a busy studio at that rate, but I think charging more would:

1) look funny to all of your students, and most would look for a different teacher (not only the ones on Saturday either)

and

2) not necessarily free up your time in the way you want.

Instead of trying to work around this in a pretty dirty way, I'd just be honest with the students and let them know that your teaching hours are changing and that you'll have to work out another time where you could offer them lessons. Maybe offer something that first time, or don't.

PS: I looked at your sign-up page, and while a bit OT, how is sending an email for termination considered 'not written'? If anything, I'd send an email to a teacher so I could go back to it and say "SEE, LOOK, I DID SEND IT ON THIS DATE" if they ever claimed they didn't receive a termination notice.

Returning to learn piano and violin after many years distracted by life.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I like kayvee's idea, combined with your idea of giving some sort of gift/concession to the families who now must switch.

Alternatively, you can handle it through attrition; as the weekend folks stop lessons (as they will, sooner or later), consolidate their times and don't add any new students to the opened up slots on Saturday. That may take longer to accomplish what you want, though.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would simply announce to the parents something like this:

Beginning January 1, the studio will be open the following hours: Monday-Friday, 3-8 pm; Saturdays 9 am - noon. Closed on Sunday. If your lesson time currently falls outside of these business hours or if your schedule is changing and you'd like a new time, please contact me to arrange the schedule.

Then let the chips fall where they may.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

Yes, I do want to have fewer lessons on Saturdays. Ideally, I like to teach only 20% of my students on Saturdays. Currently I am teaching 36% of my students on Saturdays.

Maybe I should re-phrase my question to:
How to reduce from 36% to 20% teaching load on Saturdays?

Brainstorming:
1. Raise Saturday's rate by x%
2. Offer one time gift for parents who switch to weekdays
3. Establish a lottery system see who got Saturday's slot and move unlucky parents to weekdays
4. Establish an auction system for parents (parents who pay more will get Saturdays' slot)

Any other thoughts?

Yes, as stated before...if you do not want to teach on Sat, say so rather than raising rates for that day. To me that is so absurd. Either teach on Sat or don't.

How to handle it?

"As of Jan 1, I will no longer be teaching on Sat. Please call to make arrangements for another time slot."

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
K
K
You could also take on the task of rescheduling your entire work hours based around how Minniemay mentioned.

Give the hours you'll be open to teach, and then hand out a piece of paper to everyone with 5 lines. Ask them to give as many times that would work for them.

Then figure out a schedule based on that. It may a little more work, but it will also give you the freedom of hopefully a few students being flexible to other times.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think the best way to get people to move off of Saturday is to first offer a discount for the other days of the week (and you might rather do this after a major rate change) The gift idea is interesting. I don't like the lottery or auction idea. But that's just me!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
if you do not want to teach on Sat, say so rather than raising rates for that day. To me that is so absurd.

Please read my post carefully before you post. Yes I do want to teach Saturdays but I want to reduce the load from 36% to 20%....

K
K
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org
if you do not want to teach on Sat, say so rather than raising rates for that day. To me that is so absurd.

Please read my post carefully before you post. Yes I do want to teach Saturdays but I want to reduce the load from 36% to 20%....
Then how would charging more help this? No one would want to stay. It wouldn't reduce you from 36% to 20% like a math equation. Plus, the people who would want to stay would be staying at their same time for a higher price when you still want to teach during that time anyway.

John mentioned that some employees expect pay and a half for certain days/hours. I don't think I know ANY job where you're paid more because it's the weekend, though I do know some employers do do this. Usually it's for holidays and overtime though, as a standard. And, as I've seen mentioned on these forums (including by John), don't piano teachers not consider themselves employees?

This isn't about a fee increase. This is about changing your schedule. So do it in the appropriate manner: change your schedule.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kayvee
John mentioned that some employees expect pay and a half for certain days/hours. I don't think I know ANY job where you're paid more because it's the weekend, though I do know some employers do do this.

Know any union workers? To be fair, I was thinking "overtime" and that Saturday as the 6th teaching day of the week, since I already teach Mon - Fri. As you point out, the OP changed the situation on us, so fees really are no longer at issue. I don't wish to teach on weekends, so if you really, really, really want my services, you'll have to entice me financially.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by kayvee
No one would want to stay.

We call this an asserted conclusion. On what facts do you base this conclusion? Do you have some research available in which piano teachers charge a 5% or 10% premium, for example, for weekend lessons, but have lost all their weekend students?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission