Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
66 registered (benjamink, beet31425, AZNpiano, Almaviva, 20 invisible), 1165 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1985824 - 11/12/12 05:46 PM Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Just did receive the reply (copied below) from Tom Love, of Kawai, regarding the "let-off" (or, escapement) behavior of not being able to "play off/from the jack" on all Kawai digitals:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your email. I was in Japan last week and returned yesterday. Needless to say, I'm a bit jet-lagged today.

I had the chance last week to discuss our current GF action and the let-off issue that you mentioned with the keyboard action engineering team. Here is my understanding of the situation, given my poor Japanese and their decent English.

The design of the GF action does not allow for the let-off playing as you describe. This was done so that the let-off point would be in the correct position. Some competitive actions do allow the playing style that you describe, but to do so, their let-off point is placed in an incorrect point that is lower than that in an acoustic piano. The keyboard team's decision was to place the let-off at the correct position.

Future action designs will take this point into consideration and perhaps they will have both the proper let-off point and the let-off playing style that you describe.

Best regards,

Tom Love
Sr. Director of Online Marketing and Electronics
Kawai America & Kawai Canada

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, all current owners of new models including the ES7, CA65, and CA95, will not be able to get a software update or fix to correct the let-off behavior as this is something that will have to be incorporated into "future action designs" as mentioned above.

The current let-off was designed to be felt at the "correct position" similar to an acoustic, although it still does not account for the other aspect of having the correct behavior in regards to sounding a note from the let-off point, itself.

Therefore, do not expect any changes with the current models.

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#1985828 - 11/12/12 06:02 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Es7 has no GF , but the completely differet RH II. I think this item is mainly is about GF based instruments ( and placement of the pivoting point) ?

#1985834 - 11/12/12 06:19 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Yes, this point was discussed with the digital piano keyboard development team last week. in order to recreate the feel of a grand piano action, we agreed that the correct position of the let-off point was very important.

As others will vouch, Kawai's digital piano action team are committed to constantly improving the quality and realism of their keyboard designs, so I expect we may see this 'playing off the jack' behaviour implemented in future instruments.

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#1985842 - 11/12/12 06:36 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: Kawai James]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@James,

This is to let you know that I am satisfied with the current CA95 that I own (as my new recording should attest to that)* as there are certain details with the metallic sounds that I have learned to tolerate better.

A lot of this can be easily adjusted within the "Basic Settings" and "Virtual Technician" features. Therefore, it is a very enjoyable piano to play.

Hope this will help to clarify the facts regarding the let-off simulation.

*Recording is in this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1985200

#1987423 - 11/16/12 11:14 AM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Quote:
The design of the GF action does not allow for the let-off playing as you describe. This was done so that the let-off point would be in the correct position. Some competitive actions do allow the playing style that you describe, but to do so, their let-off point is placed in an incorrect point that is lower than that in an acoustic piano. The keyboard team's decision was to place the let-off at the correct position.

This seems somewhat counter-intuitive for me (if this was a technical explanation at all and not a foreground argument for the marketing decision - sorry for beeing always overly skeptical but I am working for the industry too and know the nature of product developing and marketing).

If the let-off point is higher, as it seems now to happen with GF, it should mean, that more possibilities are left for the placement of both lower sensors beneath, not less. To be able to repeat you have to pass the two lower sensors on the way back. I would think the only thing is needed is to tweak on the algorithms - but I can agree, this is not necessarily a simple task without any risks for the rest of the instrument.(Extensive testing cycle needed, redesign of some other aspects of the instrument could give a more optimal solution, as such a fix....) So if such considerations were also behind such a decision, they could be justified too.

But You never will hear arguments of economy (which should be the primary consideration at a company while managing their product lines), but we should not forget about it if we want to build a realistic picture for ourselves.

#1987435 - 11/16/12 11:51 AM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Temperament: I think it's the opposite - the let-off point is BELOW the middle sensor. I.e, if we press down very slowly to the let-off point, and then wait for a long time, the middle sensor has already been tripped, so that when we finally complete the stroke, the velocity sensor (which presumably measures the time taken between the middle and bottom sensors) decides that the key press velocity was below the minimum threshold for a hammer strike.

I'm curious about the V-Piano. Does it allow repeats for key releases that are LESS than the let-off point? If so, that means that it too is not completely authentic. ;^) I.e, whilst it allows playing from the let-off point, it ALSO allows another behaviour which is NOT authentic.

I'm also curious to know what the let-off depth for the V-Piano is, and whether it is authentic or not. PV88: you could measure your V-Piano, and compare with some real grands.....

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/16/12 11:55 AM)

#1987500 - 11/16/12 02:33 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: sullivang]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Greg, Your explanation is the plausible one for me too, but the above statement suggests just the opposite of that:
Quote:
Some competitive actions do allow the playing style that you describe, but to do so, their let-off point is placed in an incorrect point that is lower than that in an acoustic piano. The keyboard team's decision was to place the let-off at the correct position
Your imperfection dilemma with V-Piano is very real: even 3 sensors allow only an approximative modelling. Another approach could be: it would be conceivable to apply a single acceleration sensor only (instead of 3+ position sensors) which could then capture the whole movement curve of the event of playing a key. The algorithm could then take all other things in calculation, as let-off resistance, jack encounter, repetition phase. It seems complex enough, to be sure, but seems possible at least in theory.

How pricey such a sensor solution would be, I cannot tell either.

Attila

#1987503 - 11/16/12 02:45 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: Temperament]
ap55 Offline

Loc: Germany, Bremen
Originally Posted By: Temperament

Attila

Hm..I thought this is how silent pianos work ?

Edited by ap55 (11/16/12 02:45 PM)

#1987570 - 11/16/12 05:56 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Attila: Good point. I don't understand. smile Maybe something has been lost in the translation.....

Re the "single acceleration sensor", that's what the Infinite Response VAX77 has, but it's not a hammer action, AND, when I asked them, I was told that it does not actually simulate double-escapement - not strictly, anyway.

And then there's the Alpha piano, which has a real grand action along with pressure sensors in place of the strings. I'm sure it would emulate all this very well, but PERHAPS with a bit of latency due to the fact that the sound generator would be triggered at exactly the same time that the hammer strikes the "strings". (in a real piano, the strings of course will start vibrating immediately)

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/16/12 06:03 PM)

#1987581 - 11/16/12 06:35 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: ap55]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: ap55
Originally Posted By: Temperament

Hm..I thought this is how silent pianos work ?

Aftermarket silent pianos typically have a strip that goes under the keys and light intensity reflected off the bottom of the keys informs the strip of the key position. In principle, this method could yield a continuous curve and a solution could be computed for the terminal velocity of the hammer. In practice I suspect there are intensity thresholds that get passed that trigger on/off logic similar to the sensors in typical digital pianos.

Then there are silent pianos that have the hammers break optical paths, triggering on/off switches. This is the way the AvantGrand line works.

There's a guy in the PianoTeq forum that has built his own switches similar in design to midi strips but which apparently uses a more sophisticated algorithm than the 2 or 3 sensor tech we are accustomed to. I don't know how well it works.

#1987583 - 11/16/12 06:49 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: gvfarns]
sullivang Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
In practice I suspect there are intensity thresholds that get passed that trigger on/off logic similar to the sensors in typical digital pianos.

I suspect the same. The VAX77 definitely does sample the key position very rapidly, though, and does model momentum.

Greg.

Edited by sullivang (11/16/12 06:50 PM)

#1987585 - 11/16/12 06:57 PM Re: Kawai's "Let-off" question - answer received [Re: pv88]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
That's cool. And that hi-rez MIDI stuff is cool too.

Does anyone in the forum actually have a VAX77? I once asked here whether anyone has tried that VAX and been able to tell whether the hi-rez stuff makes a difference (perhaps using it to control PianoTeq on using high resolution midi and again with 128 steps). No one replied, though.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bottom of hammer hitting top of damper on upright
by JoeThePro
12/21/14 10:09 PM
Getting better
by Kekewak
12/21/14 07:35 PM
Pearl River vs. Samick
by Zekk
12/21/14 03:41 PM
Kawai vs. Yamaha: what to choose
by SeeSharp
12/21/14 02:19 PM
Disklavier Pro Alternatives? C5X Value for money?
by bryan77
12/21/14 01:15 PM
Forum Stats
77391 Members
42 Forums
160047 Topics
2350338 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission