Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1843251 - 02/12/12 01:06 PM Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring?
Eric1979 Offline

I got my piano at an estate sale so I don't know to much about it. I was considering having it restored but don't know if it would be worth it. Here's some info I found on it- these numbers were stamped in it. 1143. 25781 with a w written in pencil. Ctrail. The name plate says John Broadwood & sons. Manufactured to her majesty, great pulleney street, golden square London. It also had an old letter in it written with a qwill pen. Any info would be great
Thanks

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#1843285 - 02/12/12 01:57 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Broadwoods are one of the finest English Pianos.
When you say you dont know if it is worth restoring, it depends what you mean, If you are going to keep it, then yes big time. If you are looking to make a profit, then having it fully restored will usually negate any profit.
Are you in the UK?

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#1843300 - 02/12/12 02:10 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
LluĂ­s Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Hi Eric, could you pleasepost some pictures of your beautiful Broadwood to see if it is an art cased , or a pre 1850's broadwood etc.

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#1843320 - 02/12/12 02:42 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Johnkie Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: England
Broadwood serial numbers vary according type of piano. It's impossible to give you some idea of date without more details.

If you can upload a selection of photos (including photos of any numbers found) it would help a great deal toward finding more information.

#1843370 - 02/12/12 04:23 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
kpembrook Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: Eric1979
I got my piano at an estate sale so I don't know to much about it. I was considering having it restored but don't know if it would be worth it. Here's some info I found on it- these numbers were stamped in it. 1143. 25781 with a w written in pencil. Ctrail. The name plate says John Broadwood & sons. Manufactured to her majesty, great pulleney street, golden square London. It also had an old letter in it written with a qwill pen. Any info would be great
Thanks

"Worth it" can mean a number of things. What do YOU mean? For example, are you wondering if you can make money out of the transaction? Or, do you mean is it technically feasable? Or, are you wondering whether it will be a top caliber performer when its done? Or, ?????

#1985493 - 11/11/12 07:41 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
AmazonChick Offline

Hi, I'm in Australia and want to know more about a John Broadwood and Sons piano to decide what to do with it. Hoping someone knows something about it smile How do I add pics?

Edited by AmazonChick (11/11/12 07:41 PM)

#1985673 - 11/12/12 10:06 AM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
If it is an English piano it cannot be good, the only good pianos are Pleyels (French ) !

just joking...

Finest brand in UK, Beethoven had one (but he was deaf, no luck wink

I have seen really nice ones even a square, even a wooden framed vertical. Pics will allow anyone to write.

#1985778 - 11/12/12 04:19 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Phil D Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
I've seen great Broadwoods, and terrible Broadwoods, and everything in between. At their best they were producing some of the best pianos in the world, but they changed hands many times and production was interrupted and changed. A serial number (usually printed on the plate somewhere) and some pictures will help. You will need to upload the pictures to another website and link to them.

#1985829 - 11/12/12 06:09 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If you had asked about buying an old piano before your purchase, the unanimous answer would have been to have it checked out by a piano technician in advance.

Now that you are the new owner, getting an expert in to view and assess the instrument regarding its value for restoration would be the appropriate thing to do. Although we (in cyber-land) are always interested and curious, as well as willing to give long distance help (and in some cases long-distance diagnosis of problems) you still have to deal with someone local in the end.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#1986695 - 11/14/12 04:15 PM Re: Is my John Broadwood & Sons worth restoring? [Re: Eric1979]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
I would imagine at least a half of your question could be answered by having a pianist play it !
When I was visiting Sydney my daughter took me to the Kimbriky dump - there were two perfectly restorable pianos in a container, $50 a piece I guess it all depends on your requirements and determination ?

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
179 registered (ajames, accordeur, 36251, Allard, 51 invisible), 1841 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157246 Topics
2309565 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New Kawai DP & RH3 action (CN35 & CN25)
by Northerner
09/02/14 04:50 PM
Kawai MP11 firmware v1.07
by DilEcosse
09/02/14 04:24 PM
all BBCode tags are broken
by beet31425
09/02/14 03:13 PM
Write melody contrapuntally
by kobethuy
09/02/14 03:03 PM
Yamaha N2 or CLP545
by Butteman
09/02/14 02:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission