Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1985495 - 11/11/12 07:44 PM I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up
Juliewharton Offline

Loc: Florida
I moved here to FL five years ago, and got laid off from my job. I was lucky and was able to get another one, but I'm making FAR less than I did before. The depression that set in after that, coupled with the decline in my Dad's health and his passing last June led me to come to a complete stop in playing my once beloved U1.

However, piano kept pulling at me. I wanted to play, but couldn't surmount the depression to open the lid and take out the books.

Until this week...I finally spent some time after work off the couch and on the piano bench. Sure, I've lost a LOT of ground, but tonight for the first time in ages, I felt the joy of having music come out from under my fingers again.

I still can't afford lessons, I can barely afford rent-but I can take that time every day to feel that small joy again. I know my father, who loved my piano, would be happy to know that I'm playing again.

I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1985497 - 11/11/12 07:56 PM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
alans Offline

Thank-you for your beautiful and very inspiring message. I wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to have the strength to continue practicing. Music is such a transformative and healing thing, a little bit can go a long way.

#1985512 - 11/11/12 08:27 PM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Juliewharton
I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!

This could become that thread!

Glad to hear you are doing better, and noticing that this is your 1st post, I'll opine that this forum is as good a substitute as any for those of us unable to afford lessons.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

#1985547 - 11/11/12 10:26 PM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
Sand Tiger Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Welcome to the forum Julie. Thank you for your story. I'm sure many others will find comfort in reading it.

Personally, my music has gotten me through some dark times. When the world seems like it is crashing down, I can often find solace in playing music.

#1985579 - 11/12/12 01:33 AM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
Michael_99 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada Alberta
Julie,

Thank you for your post. I am pleased you found your way to the piano and began playing again. No matter how small the steps, one step after the next. I had my Clavinova gathering dust for at least 10 years and then one day, like you, I took out a book, for me, Book 1 of playing the piano and I lasted about 10 minutes because I also had health problems, but I was surprised after a few days that I enjoyed playing what little I knew so I kept going. It is nice to learn a new piece but it is also very nice to play the little tunes that I have learned from the book. I am on a disability pension so money is sparse but there is a lot you can learn playing from a book and as others have pointed out, the people on the forum are very patient and helpful with our questions.

#1985584 - 11/12/12 01:57 AM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Julie, superb debut post! Of course your father would be happy with this turn of events, to know his girl is deriving pleasure again from her musical pursuits.

Cheers!

#1985655 - 11/12/12 08:54 AM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
malkin Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Welcome back to your piano; I hope it brings you much joy.

Remember, if the couch calls you hard, you can get help for depression--there are public resources for mental health. You might find something for low- or no-cost.

#1985854 - 11/12/12 07:05 PM Re: I Gave Up....and now I Stopped Giving Up [Re: Juliewharton]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Welcome to the forum Julie- you are amongst friends here; it is lovely to read how you have come back to piano. Money is tight for me too as I haven't paid work - many of us are feeling the pinch right now. Let's hope things change gor the better! I'm just about managing fortnightly piano lessons because my teacher charges very little. He is also very good so I know how lucky I am. I think your Dad would be happy you are enjoying piano again.

Edited by EdwardianPiano (11/12/12 07:06 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buying a piano
by tim1889
14 minutes 44 seconds ago
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
Today at 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
Today at 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
Yesterday at 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
Yesterday at 09:52 PM
Who's Online
116 registered (AB99, acortot, aesop, A Guy, 38 invisible), 1169 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157639 Topics
2315476 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission