2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I moved here to FL five years ago, and got laid off from my job. I was lucky and was able to get another one, but I'm making FAR less than I did before. The depression that set in after that, coupled with the decline in my Dad's health and his passing last June led me to come to a complete stop in playing my once beloved U1.

However, piano kept pulling at me. I wanted to play, but couldn't surmount the depression to open the lid and take out the books.

Until this week...I finally spent some time after work off the couch and on the piano bench. Sure, I've lost a LOT of ground, but tonight for the first time in ages, I felt the joy of having music come out from under my fingers again.

I still can't afford lessons, I can barely afford rent-but I can take that time every day to feel that small joy again. I know my father, who loved my piano, would be happy to know that I'm playing again.

I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!

A
A
Thank-you for your beautiful and very inspiring message. I wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to have the strength to continue practicing. Music is such a transformative and healing thing, a little bit can go a long way.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Juliewharton
I read something on the "giving up" thread about an "It Gets Better" movement for piano students, I agree!

This could become that thread!

Glad to hear you are doing better, and noticing that this is your 1st post, I'll opine that this forum is as good a substitute as any for those of us unable to afford lessons.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Welcome to the forum Julie. Thank you for your story. I'm sure many others will find comfort in reading it.

Personally, my music has gotten me through some dark times. When the world seems like it is crashing down, I can often find solace in playing music.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Julie,

Thank you for your post. I am pleased you found your way to the piano and began playing again. No matter how small the steps, one step after the next. I had my Clavinova gathering dust for at least 10 years and then one day, like you, I took out a book, for me, Book 1 of playing the piano and I lasted about 10 minutes because I also had health problems, but I was surprised after a few days that I enjoyed playing what little I knew so I kept going. It is nice to learn a new piece but it is also very nice to play the little tunes that I have learned from the book. I am on a disability pension so money is sparse but there is a lot you can learn playing from a book and as others have pointed out, the people on the forum are very patient and helpful with our questions.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Julie, superb debut post! Of course your father would be happy with this turn of events, to know his girl is deriving pleasure again from her musical pursuits.

Cheers!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome back to your piano; I hope it brings you much joy.

Remember, if the couch calls you hard, you can get help for depression--there are public resources for mental health. You might find something for low- or no-cost.

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum Julie- you are amongst friends here; it is lovely to read how you have come back to piano. Money is tight for me too as I haven't paid work - many of us are feeling the pinch right now. Let's hope things change gor the better! I'm just about managing fortnightly piano lessons because my teacher charges very little. He is also very good so I know how lucky I am. I think your Dad would be happy you are enjoying piano again.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 11/12/12 08:06 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission