Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1983920 - 11/07/12 09:41 PM Questions about teaching young children
Flo Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
I have 2 kids - 6 1/2 and the other one will be 5 by year's end.

My older daughter started piano lessons already for a year, but her interest is not great. I don't know if I should let her continue.

My son, on the other hand, after asking him, is interested, although I cannot be sure of the reason behind his interest. Could be because of his sister is playing, or because he knows many of his friends are/will be playing. I started teaching him a few days ago. I intend to teach him to identify notes and count and eventually let him go with a professionally trained teacher. Perhaps because of his age, his fingers are not strong enough so I think it would take some time.

My questions are - what is the best way to spark a young child's interest? In my own case, I stumbled upon Chopin at 5 and fell in love with his music, not knowing what I was listening to at that time. so I thought liking some aspect of classical music would help a child greatly since learning with a trained teacher will inevitably mean going through some classical aspects. I know they are not ready for concerts. When I put on Mozart, they asked me to switch to Raffi.

Secondly, I don't know if I should continue to force my daughter or should I just let her quit? Finally, if I perceive that my son's strength is not ready to do a lot of playing, is it better to hold him back a bit other than learning notes and count?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1984049 - 11/08/12 08:31 AM Re: Questions about teaching young children [Re: Flo]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
There are a couple of issues you raise:

1) Your daughter's continuation
2) Starting your son
3) Exposing them to classical music

1) I think this really depends on how much of a struggle it is with your daughter. I don't like the idea of "forcing" a child to do piano lessons, but anything short of that I'm in favor of. There are many benefits to piano study outside of learning to play piano that make it a worthwhile endeavor, even if interest is not as high as you'd like.

The child learns how to invest time and energy and focus into something for an end result that may take weeks to attain. In this day and age of immediate gratification, this is such an important lesson for kids to learn.

There are other benefits to piano study such as multitasking and spatial IQ. I don't have the studies that discuss these details, but they are readily available if you search, and it would be well worth the effort to be informed of them.

Lastly, so many people I talk to say they took piano lessons as a child and wish that their parents didn't let them quit. So many returning adult students feel the need to "catch up" on lost time - something that they never will be able to do.

So unless you really mean you'd have to "force" your child to continue piano, I would work out an agreement with her. Perhaps if she agrees to practice 4 days per week, she can decide which days she has "off" but she can't argue with you about practicing when you tell her it's time to practice. This way, you are ensuring she will reap some of the benefits mentioned above. Agree to an amount of time and time of day so that it becomes a routine if at all possible. Also make sure she's not enrolled in too many things to make regular practice impossible or difficult. Stick to this agreement for a set amount of time - say through the end of the school year - at which point you will discuss how she feels about it. Chances are, if she keeps her end of the bargain, she will be progressing decently and will b more inspired to play because she's getting better.

2) As for your son, I would have him start with a teacher. Do an interview/trial lesson with them to see if *they* think he's ready. A professional will know better how to work with a young student and can get him going on the right foot from the start.

3) Classical music is all about live performance, not recordings. Brings your kids to a concert - it is much more engaging, and they will get much more from it.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1984092 - 11/08/12 10:08 AM Re: Questions about teaching young children [Re: Morodiene]
MaggieGirl Offline

As a parent i do the following:
Most cities have theaters and usually every 6 weeks there is a children's or family concert. They usually open the doors an hour early and kids can meet the musicians, try out instruments and ask questions. Then they have a concert with music geared to holding a child's interest and they give talks directed to the kids. They are shorter - about an hour.

In the summer most cities have "concerts in the park" and sometimes the musicians play classical music (we go for the variety of music). Because you are outside at a park kids can talk, dance, have snacks and it's relaxing (we pack dinner).

Also look at your area colleges, universities and high schools for teacher performances and student performances. Most are low cost ($10) for adults and free for kids. I'd make sure your kids can sit thought the first two options because the students should have an audience who can be quiet.

I've mentioned here I am a HUGE fan of Classics for Kids. It's a free radio and podcast. Each episode is 6 minutes and you learn about a composer and history, hear parts of pieces of their music and after, my daughter and I seek out the full pieces. We listen to the podcasts in the car.

I keep the car radio on a classical music station (aside from a jazz station - my daughter recently discovered it). This passive hearing helps me appreciate it more. For some reason my daughter loves classical music but it took my brain some adjusting and a LOT of exposure before I started to look forward to it.

#1985905 - 11/12/12 09:51 PM Re: Questions about teaching young children [Re: Flo]
Goof Offline

Loc: UK
Having a grandaughter,now nine, who was not really keen on learning the piano, after she had to stop violin when changing schools, I have had to bribe my lessons with the promise of a trip to the toy shop.
To sustain interest I have used my version of "Suzuki" - find the notes for a well known tune e.g. Pop goes the weasel, and learn by ear.
Lessons are anything but formal, she's a wriggler. However, now about thirty lessons from start, and a year on, she can give a two handed rendering, verse and chorous, of Over the Rainbow. Also she can do an "inate" transposition by starting the tune on any note - just the tune no left hand. Considering thatI have generated some interest and can see that she likes a challenge I will sart to lead into some sight reading: especially as she has on her own read the notes of Silent Night: from a score where the notes have their letter within their "blobby part"! So! there is my scheme: make it a game where the pupil can achieve recognition of their achievement. I wish I'd had the time to do the same with my own daughters, but owning and riding horses in Africa was something that is not so easilly achieved in rainy Britain.

#1986057 - 11/13/12 09:11 AM Re: Questions about teaching young children [Re: Flo]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I think we have another case of PAD here (post and disappear, I believe that's what we've called it) laugh
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (36251, *windowlicker*, A Guy, AB99, 43 invisible), 1525 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76007 Members
42 Forums
157165 Topics
2308239 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What's the value of my piano?
by Athos
08/30/14 04:51 PM
Portable keyboard stand for Kawai ES7
by gbitw
08/30/14 04:24 PM
Recital Piece to go with Fur Elise
by eccp19
08/30/14 03:22 PM
SURVEY - Your Favorite Virtual Piano Library
by ChoPraTs
08/30/14 03:18 PM
Which to choose Yamaha CLP-115 or Roland RP 101
by Johnride
08/30/14 02:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission