Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1984857 - 11/10/12 01:13 AM How many pieces can you work on at once?
TrueMusic Offline

Loc: San Diego, California
I've noticed for me, the limit is about three. At least to do so well. Then again, a year ago the limit was two. So I guess those numbers go up as I learn to comprehend and digest music faster. how about for you guys?

Proud owner of a beautiful Yamaha C7.

Polish:
Liszt Petrarch Sonnet 104
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#1984863 - 11/10/12 01:49 AM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
The answer to that question really depends on a number of variables :

- How much practice time one has
- How one makes up the practice routine time
- What the practice goals are
- How frequently lessons are scheduled
- What the short- and long-term goals are at any given moment
- Perhaps one of the biggest variables : the length and complexity of any given piece

The answer, then, is : it depends.

Regards,

#1984887 - 11/10/12 04:05 AM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Always just one. One after the next.

#1984964 - 11/10/12 09:07 AM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Agree with all Bruce said.

I've always found it beneficial to have multiple pieces going, some short range goals (a few weeks or months) and some longer range goals.

#1985010 - 11/10/12 11:18 AM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I'm tempted to reply with a paraphrase of Wolfie's answer to Emperor Joseph II who apparently complained that Mozart's Die Entführung aus dem Serail has 'too many notes': 'Only as many as I need, your honor.' grin

I've variously worked on up to six new pieces at once, or just one - depending on what the pieces are, how long and/or complicated or technically difficult they are, how different they are to each other etc. For instance, I couldn't work only on one piece if it's slow, even if it's also complicated: I need to work my fingers as well as my mind, and get them to face new challenges. On the other hand, working on something like Ravel's Ondine or Scarbo (Gaspard de la nuit) is so technically challenging in terms of getting my fingers (and wrists and arms) to do things they've never - or hardly ever - done before that all my mental and physical energies are fully engaged. But I couldn't single-mindedly do the same with Le gibet.

#1985039 - 11/10/12 12:55 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: BruceD]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: BruceD

- Perhaps one of the biggest variables : the length and complexity of any given piece

Regards,

Well stated !!!

While studying piano in grad school, in addition to taking other coursework, teaching 15 hours per week and accompanying student recitals, I was able to learn and memorize about an hour's worth of fairly difficult repertoire (practicing about 4 hours per day over an 8 month period) for my own solo recital. But, then again, everyone is different.

#1985046 - 11/10/12 01:20 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
So far my limit seems about 2 hours worth.

#1985063 - 11/10/12 02:39 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I've tried doing two at the same time but there always seem to be a point where I have to play more than ten notes.

#1985423 - 11/11/12 04:15 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: BruceD]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia

Regards,

That's crap. The answer is 42. wink

#1985429 - 11/11/12 04:39 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: Derulux]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Derulux

Regards,

That's crap. The answer is 42. wink

thumb

#1985927 - 11/12/12 10:31 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
DonaldLee Offline

My limit is 8 pieces (separate movements) of solo repertoire so far. God knows how much collaborative repertoire... I've chosen to just not count it.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#1985981 - 11/13/12 03:00 AM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
TrueMusic Offline

Well I've learned a lot about good piano practice this semester, and next semester I'm going to be getting real ambitious with what I'm learning and how fast I'm learning it. I decided recently I'm going to do a master in piano performance, spoke with my professor today, and we decided we are going to buckle down and make it happen. I'm going to take an extra year after I finish undergrad to get ready. So I'm going to try taking on probably 5 pieces at once, trying to be polishing two at any one time while learning notes on three. We'll see how it goes.

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1986180 - 11/13/12 01:27 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
Praeludium Offline

Loc: Besançon, France
Originally Posted By: TrueMusic
Well I've learned a lot about good piano practice this semester, and next semester I'm going to be getting real ambitious with what I'm learning and how fast I'm learning it. I decided recently I'm going to do a master in piano performance, spoke with my professor today, and we decided we are going to buckle down and make it happen. I'm going to take an extra year after I finish undergrad to get ready. So I'm going to try taking on probably 5 pieces at once, trying to be polishing two at any one time while learning notes on three. We'll see how it goes.

But isn't learning perfectly right from the beginning one of the most important part of efficient practice ?
You'll "learn the notes" with some dynamics, articulation, and so on, even if they're not definitive. If you say "I first learn the note and then work on the music", doesn't this mean that you'll have to unlearn a part of what you've already done and relearn something else ?

This isn't only a rethorical question, I'm really asking, and I'm really curious about your answer.
I've noticed I can be really quick to learn the notes and then struggles for months with many things on one piece, and I'm wondering if taking your time, and learning everything as perfectly as possible right from the beginning isn't actually faster (much, much faster). This implies being very good at analysing both how the music is written and how you must realise it on the instrument.

At the piano, not much yet - I'm currently working one 4 relatively difficult (albeit short) pieces and two études at the piano. I'm under the impression pianists are musicians who learn tons of stuff. I guess the instrument fits this kind of approach pretty well once you're proficient enough.

#1986209 - 11/13/12 02:31 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: Praeludium]
TrueMusic Offline

Originally Posted By: Praeludium

But isn't learning perfectly right from the beginning one of the most important part of efficient practice ?
You'll "learn the notes" with some dynamics, articulation, and so on, even if they're not definitive. If you say "I first learn the note and then work on the music", doesn't this mean that you'll have to unlearn a part of what you've already done and relearn something else ?

This isn't only a rethorical question, I'm really asking, and I'm really curious about your answer.
I've noticed I can be really quick to learn the notes and then struggles for months with many things on one piece, and I'm wondering if taking your time, and learning everything as perfectly as possible right from the beginning isn't actually faster (much, much faster). This implies being very good at analysing both how the music is written and how you must realise it on the instrument.

At the piano, not much yet - I'm currently working one 4 relatively difficult (albeit short) pieces and two études at the piano. I'm under the impression pianists are musicians who learn tons of stuff. I guess the instrument fits this kind of approach pretty well once you're proficient enough.

Yes it is! I always try to learn with dynamics. But, like with my Chopin right now, I can play every single note close to tempo and I have a "general" feel for the dynamics, but things need to get cleaner and the pianos need to be more piano and the forte more forte, etc. Also deciding how you want the piece to "feel". Like with my Beethoven, it can feel like a dance, or like two kids playing in a field [a comment from one of my friends after I played him a recording of the piece] or something else. That's all apart of polishing.

Of course, learning the notes perfectly form the start is key, but with where I'm at with my playing I still need to spend time polishing. Although, as I learn notes correct the first time, the less time I need to spend polishing. So you're right on that aspect. You will learn a piece faster if you spend the time to learn the dynamics with it, but also be sure to be practicing hands separate and then slowly hands together. As I've been exposed to more music, I learn it faster. And as I learn to practice well, I learn music faster. But I'm not at a place where I don't need to polish after I learn the notes. :].

Polish:
Bach WTC book 1 no. 6.
Dello Joio Sonata no. 3

New:
Chopin op. 23
Bach WTC book 2 no. 20

#1986297 - 11/13/12 06:45 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: Praeludium]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Praeludium

Although I understand the idea, in my experience, it doesn't really work that way. Of course, you want to absorb as much as possible from the beginning when learning a piece, but the process of being focused on the notes first, and then making them more musical, seems to me to be one of adding and refining, rather than having to unlearn something learned incorrectly. And at any rate, for me, it is simply impossible to have the same musical sense of the piece at the beginning of working on it as I will after spending time with it - there's always change in interpretation involved. Actually, that's one of my favorite parts of learning anything; it would not be interesting if I knew all there was to know about the piece at the beginning.

None of this means that I think that initial work on a piece should be deliberately mechanical and unmusical. It's just that I think that the basic work of "getting it into the fingers" does have to happen before some of the more advanced musical refinement can be addressed. That's just the way it works; at least it works that way for me, anyway.

#1986713 - 11/14/12 05:28 PM Re: How many pieces can you work on at once? [Re: TrueMusic]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
just to start where BruceD left: it depends, yes, on most issues I agree, but there is 1 tiny bit left unmentioned: the OLD REP, as one progresses in life one gathers a bit of music in the brain/fingers, one gathers some invitations to play here and there, one gathers a little experience how/when to start preparations, the biggest problem though I have is in saying 'yes' to an invitation, and thinking, well, those ballades/rhapsodies/sonatas/etudes: let's toss'm off...Suddenly there is the date in a (few) week(s), and one has to revisit Liszt's sonata, or Schumann's Fantasie or Rachmaninoff's 2nd concerto...This is my major problem: keeping all of the cherished material up to date, and learning new pieces, and have a nice life, being a musician is hard.

Mussorgski tableaux d'une exposition/Rachmaninoff etudes tableaux op.39

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital piano key noise
by bigsmile
09/21/14 03:15 AM
Hans von Bulow's piano
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:57 AM
Rubinstein teaching style
by phantomFive
09/21/14 01:52 AM
Question regarding "technique"
by Francisco Scalco
09/21/14 12:29 AM
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
57 registered (bennevis, Ben_NZ, AliAlkhiro, 36251, beeboss, AZ_Astro, 12 invisible), 898 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157662 Topics
2315774 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission