Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1997937 - 12/11/12 03:01 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: LoPresti]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
Foxes,
Why don't you send me a private message with your address, so I can pay you a little visit?

Hey, Foxes,

I'm still waiting, tough guy!

Ed

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1997949 - 12/11/12 03:26 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: LoPresti]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: LoPresti
We Siciliani, just like you Greeks, like meeting other musicians face-to-face. It promotes understanding.
Well... I learn something everyday then. You're Sicilian?!?! Wow... brilliant!

PS. I'm waiting for the recording to post your quartet... I'm actually looking forward to it. wink

#1997958 - 12/11/12 03:49 PM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Nikolas,

I regret the delay. My friend promised a fast turn-around on getting that tape content into digital format. So, perhaps I need to followup on the meaning of this "fast turn-around".

I am what we Americans call a first-generation Sicilian, my father having been born just outside of Palermo. I have always regretted his moving away from that part of the world.

#1998499 - 12/12/12 05:32 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Foxes Offline

To rephrase more aptly...

I reject the elitist associated with putting schooled, learned, sheet music based art music above naive art, simplicity, improvisation, pop or whatever. It reeks of snobbery and is an insult to anyone who has composed but not written, basically saying they're not genuinely composing.

I have a confession; I've been playing for about six years but I am so poor at reading sheet music that writing my own works up would be impractical, I feel so... small? When told I am not a "real" composer.

Of course, I get what you'll say (of course you wont say it now); I'm not a real composer, I'm still barely above beginner, I hardly have anything of value to say on the piano at this point - I call BS, I have a lot to say and I think it's beautiful.

Also, you can't regret something someone else did.

#1998517 - 12/12/12 05:59 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: Foxes

I reject the elitist associated with putting schooled, learned, sheet music based art music above naive art, simplicity, improvisation, pop or whatever. It reeks of snobbery and is an insult to anyone who has composed but not written, basically saying they're not genuinely composing.

Egalitarianism is all very well, and of course no-one should be discouraged from starting composing until they acquire a full set of technical skills! But, really, there's no virtue in ignorance.

Quote:

I have a confession; I've been playing for about six years but I am so poor at reading sheet music that writing my own works up would be impractical, I feel so... small? When told I am not a "real" composer.

Well, are you? We're not just here to support your self-esteem you know!
Pull your finger out and improve your reading then. You're missing out on such a lot, and condemning yourself to forever re-invent the wheel instead of "standing on the shoulders of giants"! A student who builds walls around what he is prepared to learn is merely a fool to himself.

Anyway, wasn't this about how a composition should best be presented for assessment and comment? If you don't notate, I can almost guarantee your work will either be no more than a simple tune (nothing wrong with that, but what can we say about it other than "that's a nice tune"?) or will be one of those rambling improvisations with which we're all too familiar, prompting "some nice ideas, now DO something with it!"

Can there be philosophy (not just feelings) without language? Literature (not just story-telling) without writing?

Edited by Exalted Wombat (12/12/12 07:07 PM)

#1998553 - 12/12/12 07:15 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

. . . Also, you can't regret something someone else did.

Foxes,

How nice to see you back. You might start out with a formal, public apology for your unwarrented, personal insults. That would be a nice, real man gesture.

Then we can discuss the philosophy of regret, if you like.

#1998664 - 12/12/12 11:29 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe

I don't really think that this is much better than your last post. It still shows unmanagable anger, hatred and even troll idioms inside! So just quit it, will you? You're not making things better and all that you've shown is that you don't like someone elses ideas and opinions. Too bad for you, but so what?

Exalted: I'll start a new thread about your persistence to keep a close mind! wink

#1998731 - 12/13/12 01:56 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I didn't read the original response by Foxes that got deleted.

Foxes, I suggest that you don't allow yourself to get provoked by wording such as "real" Capital Title (anything), and explore what everyone in the group as a whole has to say.

I personally prefer to see a written score because I can't hear fast enough. When it's on paper I can follow and see how everything connects and where it's going. This isn't snobbery, it's a weakness.

For the rest, the only way to really tell is to have tried both of them. In the same way I can't make any pronouncements about jazz improvisation because I don't understand enough. I just have an enormous respect for them. Or - today I listened to an early performance of Ravi Shankar in honour of his passing and it had a lot to it, but I don't understand enough to say more. It's more a feeling that it's really really good.

It is unfortunate when value judgments come into the picture. Some of the people here are pros. Many of us are still learning and I don't know at what point we become "real".

I began to learn theory and be able to write down musical thoughts a few years ago. My impression is that when you can write it down and have more understanding, you can get more complex because it is written down and you have it in front of you. I don't know if more complex is necessarily better. But maybe somebody who can do good work improvising could do even better writing it down - or at least capture it on paper.

#1998758 - 12/13/12 05:14 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: keystring]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Originally Posted By: keystring
It is unfortunate when value judgments come into the picture.

Why? "Value-judgement" isn't a dirty word. Don't people post their work here hoping for confirmation that it has value? Trouble is, some of them want us to lie :-)

#1998864 - 12/13/12 10:52 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat

Why? "Value-judgement" isn't a dirty word. Don't people post their work here hoping for confirmation that it has value? Trouble is, some of them want us to lie :-)

This got a genuine laugh out loud!

The initial question was which we prefer, recording or scores when evaluating a new work posted here. As I stated before I believe a recording is closest to the audience experience. A piece of music should be able to stand on its own with little or no explanation. I understand that viewing a score helps see what's going on and follow the logic (or lack thereof) of the composer, but that has little to do with the experience of the music.

Then we have the discussion of through composed vs. improvised. I've done and do both, but for me improvisation is limited by my playing abilities and areas of comfort harmonically. It seems I only get creative when I make a mistake. So I prefer through composed, I feel I can make my music more dense in so many ways than I typically do when improvising.

Finally, we have Foxes outburst about writing music down and lack of sight reading ability. I also have difficulty sight reading, it's gotten better because I insist on writing my music down and then struggle to play it. There's nothing wrong with struggling to do something it means you're outside your comfort zone and that means your extending your capabilities. Eventually it makes you more knowledgeable and creative.

So what exactly were you upset about? Was it the implication that you're not a "REAL" composer? You placed that judgment on yourself by getting mad about it. My advice is learn what you need to learn in order to become the REAL composer you aspire to be. Who knows maybe you can actually make a living composing, just don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.

#1998867 - 12/13/12 10:58 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Exalted Wombat]
keystring Offline

Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat

Actually, if I were at a stage where I thought I had a composition ready to be posted, I would not be looking for confirmation of value per se. Does it move people or is it interesting, at one end of the spectrum. Does it have specific weaknesses that could be improved, which is the side that might interest me more. But the value judgment I was talking about is a broad statement using words like "real" (anyone) to modify people, because of what I've seen. In any forum where there are skills or professions, that is the kind of thing that tends to set some people off. I'm a moderator in a professional forum, and as soon as someone uses the word "real" (you're not a real professional - you don't have the credentials - your words must be discounted because of who you are and what papers you don't have) then tempers flare. I cringe at the word "real" used to modify people because of what it does.

#1998929 - 12/13/12 12:39 PM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: keystring]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

First off, a gracious nod to Steve for re-emphasizing that music is SOUND, and that sound must stand on its own merits. What good is a beautifully rendered score if the resultant sound is terrible?

Now, onto a subject about which I know very little, but that has always fascinated me - cabinetmaking .
(And here I will refrain from using KeyString’s most dreaded adjective, replacing it each occurance with a number sign (#))

A (#) Cabinetmaker is a highly skilled professional, with a vast knowledge of her/his craft. No one is “born” a Cabinetmaker. Everyone must learn the craft from “scratch”. The (#) Cabinetmaker has an array of tools that s/he maintains, and that are specific to the craft - probably professional grade tools. S/he is an expert in their use. Not quite so obvious is the (#) Cabinetmaker’s detailed knowledge of wood - its properties, its hardness, its graininess, its curing, its ability to be cut and shaped and worked. The Cabinetmaker knows where to acquire the best of these woods, about what they cost, approximately how much s/he might need for a particular project. Another not-quite-so-obvious characteristic of the (#) Cabinetmaker is her/his acquired knowledge of glues and hardware fasteners - which types to use on certain joints, and their longevity, and their cosmetic values. And even deeper here is an assumed understanding of physics, and counter-balancing forces, and the placement of fasteners for maximum strength, possibly in shear. The more of this knowledge our Cabinetmaker possesses, and can bring to her/his craft, the better the Cabinetmaker, and probably the better the Cabinet.

Finally, we turn to the obvious work of the Cabinetmaker = applying the tools and the fasteners to the woods. In this stage, the Cabinetmaker LOOKS, to the untrained eye, just like a Carpenter. In fact, (#) Carpenters have a complete skill set and body of knowledge all their own, but I shall refrain from going into that here.

Let’s jump for a minute to someone who is getting a Sears band saw for Christmas. For years, this individual has been sawing wood, with only occasional danger or injury to himself. He’s examined his aging kitchen cabinets – they do not look that complicated! - and is now ready to make the leap.

So, here is where Steve’s point comes into play = results. Will the results produced by the novice be satisfactory? Would the Carpenter do a better job? Where will the product of the Cabinetmaker fit into the mix? Answer for yourself.

I stand by my original assertion – a (#) Composer, like a Conductor, sees it all.

Ed

#1998942 - 12/13/12 12:53 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Foxes Offline

You have my formal apology Ed, I'm a big enough fella to know when I go too far. I get touchy when people imply my music is of lesser value because it isn't written.

Foxes

#1998949 - 12/13/12 01:02 PM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You have my formal apology Ed, I'm a big enough fella to know when I go too far. I get touchy when people imply my music is of lesser value because it isn't written.

Accepted. Let's get back to work . . .

#1998954 - 12/13/12 01:14 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: LoPresti]
keystring Offline

I prefer not to call myself anything: not a composer, not a pianist, not a musician. Talking about what we do, know, and are interested in prevents a lot of problems.

Edited by keystring (12/13/12 01:53 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
73 registered (*windowlicker*, anotherscott, AndrewJCW, BarryDMD, Abby Pianoman, 19 invisible), 1147 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75908 Members
42 Forums
156882 Topics
2305155 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What kind of fingering should I be using for these phrases?
by Jormungandr
Today at 03:04 AM
Mason & Hamlin BB Long distance purchase a few questions
by bigun
Today at 02:26 AM
MY NEW PIANO
by Jvmvidela
Today at 02:14 AM
Here's a Paranoid Question:
by Paul678
Today at 01:19 AM
Are you must always make A4= 440?
by Maximillyan
Today at 12:55 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission