Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1984913 - 11/10/12 05:30 AM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer...
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
...recordings or scores? (assuming you had to pick between the two)

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1984919 - 11/10/12 05:53 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
mrenaud Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Scores, always. Recordings are nice to have, but if I'm supposed to say anything about the composition itself (rather than its performance), then I vastly prefer scores.

#1984922 - 11/10/12 06:07 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: mrenaud]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Do you think that is the view of most people who surf this forum?

(and nice signature smile )

#1984956 - 11/10/12 08:58 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London UK
Scores. For a start, it weeds out the compositions from the improvisations.

#1984979 - 11/10/12 09:48 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Exalted Wombat]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: Exalted Wombat
Wait... what's wrong with an impro then?

Anyhow, the formal reply for me would be both: If you have a composition that's for more than 1 instrument (piano) then any pianist would have a bit of trouble thinking of what's going on in there. This is a job for other composers, and not many I know can use their inner ear that well anyways... So a recording IS curcial.

Same goes for scores... A score will give a much better understanding of what's going on. And it's really helpful to see what's going on in a very slow and analytical manner, rather than taking a mental 'photograph' of what you're listening to, in order to offer some feedback later on.

One should also be aware of the situation each composer is in: One may want to offer the score, because the recording is for sale. Another may want to release the recording, because the score is for sale. Etc...

There is no clear answer, I'm afraid.

#1984987 - 11/10/12 10:00 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Nikolas]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
]Wait... what's wrong with an impro then?

Nothing at all. But it's rarely a composition untill the ideas in it are pinned down and given structure.

#1984994 - 11/10/12 10:36 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Exalted Wombat]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

]Wait... what's wrong with an impro then?

Nothing at all. But it's rarely a composition untill the ideas in it are pinned down and given structure.

What I meant was, "a score vs. a recording of what's written on the score"

#1985127 - 11/10/12 06:42 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Tim Adrianson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I personally would go with the scores. I'm very much a "reader", and always really appreciate following the scores as the music is being played.

#1985216 - 11/11/12 02:19 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
keystring Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
I don't mind a recording, but definitely want to see the score.

#1985230 - 11/11/12 03:56 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Most definitely scores.

#1985243 - 11/11/12 05:38 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Apart from anything else, it's difficult to comment on a recording other that "I enjoyed that! Well done!" (which, I suppose, is all that many people submitting recorded improvisations want to hear anyway:-)

#1985337 - 11/11/12 11:49 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Steve Chandler Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Urbandale, Iowa
In my view a recording is what an audience will hear, so in terms of evaluating a piece for dramatic impact and to a degree harmonic sophistication I don't need a score. While analysis is useful to see what's going on I don't think it matters in how successful a piece is, because the audience very seldom has access to a score. A piece of music will succeed or fail based on its audience perception and that typically means sans score.

To get to Wombat's comment, if you didn't enjoy it, it doesn't matter what's in the score. As far as improvisations are concerned it's pretty easy to tell when a piece is improvised as there's usually a repeating chord progression involved. For me through composed music will always be much denser regarding content.

#1985970 - 11/13/12 02:09 AM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York

Wait... what's wrong with an impro then?
. . . If you have a composition that's for more than 1 instrument (piano) then any pianist would have a bit of trouble thinking of what's going on in there. This is a job for other composers, and not many I know can use their inner ear that well anyways... So a recording IS curcial.

I have been pondering this interchange all weekend. Like Mr. Exalted, in my mind there is a clear distinction between a Composition and an Improvisation.

The former is music that is somewhat “formalized”, in that it is finished, complete unto itself, and repeatable by someone other than the originator. Typically, a composition is committed to paper, and that is the primary way it is transferred from composer to performer.

An improvisation, as its name implies, is ad-hoc, extemporaneous, and would seldom, if ever, be repeated note-for-note. (An exception to this might be the transcription of a jazz solo, where the student is attempting to analyze for learning.) The improvisation carries the connotation of being in the moment, and not lasting beyond the “now”.

As for Composers: I believe that REAL Composers, of which there are several on this Forum, need an exceptional command of the musical language, and its tools. I think of Composition as a craft, with all the implied rigor and study and experience that culminates in the mastery of anything. Like a conductor, the composer is an exceptional musician with a bird’s-eye-view of music. With that in mind, I find it difficult to picture a real Composer who cannot look at a relatively tonal score, and immediately “hear” the music. If that ability has not yet been cultivated, then we probably do not yet have a real composer.

Just LoPresti’s opinion, naturally. So, if I have to pick one, I’ll take the score any day.
Ed

#1986007 - 11/13/12 05:09 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
OT: Joe, is that your picture as your avatar or one of the singers from One Direction (not proud I just made that reference, ha)

#1986011 - 11/13/12 05:27 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Exalted Wombat Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes. Despite anecdotes of a few genius composers who could extemporise a fully-structured piece of music, most of us need to work a little harder to produce something worthy of consideration!

Not that a recording isn't also useful for comment and criticism. The (relative) layman's opinion is also valuable.

But heck, who am I to tell a composer how to compose! If the result's good, who cares about the medium? :-)

#1986028 - 11/13/12 07:14 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Bobpickle]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Bobpickle
OT: Joe, is that your picture as your avatar or one of the singers from One Direction (not proud I just made that reference, ha)

Yes, that's me. One direction can go pound sand.

#1986589 - 11/14/12 10:45 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
EO3 Offline

Recordings !

#1986949 - 11/15/12 03:43 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Scores.

Music is my best friend.

#1988350 - 11/19/12 01:13 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Sound is all that matters to me. Whether a piece possesses an approximate visual equivalent, i.e. score, whether it was created slowly over a long time, worked out at an instrument or not, or recorded on the spot using improvisation, or even produced by a computer program doesn't matter. Any other answer would render me inconsistent. So a recording for me.

#1989983 - 11/23/12 05:15 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
I think the basis of music creation and appreciation is that it is audible, in all musical genres.

#1989984 - 11/23/12 05:23 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Sound matters to me too, of course, but I can hear it when I look at the score, unless it's devilishly complicated.

#1989990 - 11/23/12 06:08 AM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: currawong]
Dara Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: west coast island, canada
Currawong,
I think that is quite an amazing learned skill which perhaps some others reading here also share. Probably a very tiny, tiny percentage of people that listen to music possess this ability.

#1990109 - 11/23/12 05:10 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Dara]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Dara
Currawong,
I think that is quite an amazing learned skill which perhaps some others reading here also share. Probably a very tiny, tiny percentage of people that listen to music possess this ability.
Not surprising that most listeners haven't developed the skill. It takes time, and you need to engage with the notation in order to learn how to see what you hear, and hear what you see. More than a few pianists, I've noticed, don't so much read music as decode it - once you've worked out what the notes of a piece are, you memorise it and never look at the score again. And for some purposes that's fine. I've had people say to me "you're lucky you can read music." Well I am, and I appreciate what led me to become a musician. But Luck didn't actually teach me to read music. smile

#1990826 - 11/25/12 09:06 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
pianojohnw Offline

Loc: UK
Recording

#1996454 - 12/08/12 03:05 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: LoPresti]
Foxes Offline

Originally Posted By: LoPresti

As for Composers: I believe that REAL Composers, of which there are several on this Forum...

Quote:
I find it difficult to picture a real Composer who...

Quote:
we probably do not yet have a real composer.

I know this will sound harsh, *deleted by moderator*

You can think whatever you want, however harshly you think it, but posting a repeat of the language I've deleted will get you a vacation from posting.

Edited by BB Player (12/09/12 08:58 AM)
Edit Reason: Profanity

#1996506 - 12/08/12 05:11 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Foxes
Originally Posted By: LoPresti

As for Composers: I believe that REAL Composers, of which there are several on this Forum...

Quote:
I find it difficult to picture a real Composer who...

Quote:
we probably do not yet have a real composer.

I know this will sound harsh, BBPlayer got there first!
I'm not a mod here or anything, but I strongly feel that such language and such attitude is nothing but worryingly awful.

There's no need for that over here. If you don't agree with Ed, by all means say so and explain why, as I've done in the past and keep doing it. If you want to harass, attack and swear there's plenty of other places to do it, but not here... frown

EDIT: I've just noticed that BBplayer edited foxes post in which case I'll edit his quote in mine so that it won't show anymore...

Edited by Nikolas (12/10/12 04:36 PM)

#1996581 - 12/08/12 08:22 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Sean Montgomery Offline

Loc: Monmouthshire, UK
Much has been said already! Nikolas is right - it depends on the situation. Sometimes it is nice to follow the score while listening to the recording but equally, it is nice to switch off and concentrate on what you are hearing. I suppose it depends on what you you hope to gain from the experience. If you simply want to hear the music - you dont need a score. Those that say they need to see the score so that they can 'hear' it could just listen to the recording (assuming one is available). However, if you wanted to see how easy it is to play, then you would definately need the score.

Also, if you had to perfom a piece and wanted an indication of tempi etc. then you might need both. Some friends who are asked to perform a piece, will look at the score but wont listen to another persons interpretation in case it informs theirs. Others will devour as many recordings as possible while following the score in order to see how others do it.......

#1997429 - 12/10/12 04:15 PM When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Foxes]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Foxes,
Why don't you send me a private message with your address, so I can pay you a little visit?

Ed

#1997441 - 12/10/12 04:36 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: JoelW]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Ed,

Just let it be... It's not worth it!

And I can't believe that I'm saying this myself, the hot headed greek guy! :S

#1997449 - 12/10/12 04:56 PM Re: When you browse the Composer's Lounge, do you prefer... [Re: Nikolas]
LoPresti Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ed,

Just let it be... It's not worth it!

And I can't believe that I'm saying this myself, the hot headed greek guy!

We Siciliani, just like you Greeks, like meeting other musicians face-to-face. It promotes understanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The 2 Most Common Questions Conundrum
by chernobieff
10/21/14 02:44 PM
Heroic Polonaise help please...
by ChopinLives81
10/21/14 02:28 PM
Maurizio Pollini at Carnegie Hall
by Works1
10/21/14 12:53 PM
Steinway event
by Radio.Octave
10/21/14 11:18 AM
Some Questions About "Piano Magic"
by newbert
10/21/14 10:58 AM
Who's Online
150 registered (accordeur, ajames, A Guy, 36 invisible), 1887 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76608 Members
42 Forums
158400 Topics
2326101 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission